Demand Media Interview Questions in Santa Monica, CA

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.7

Freelance Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I was asked to submit three samples in the area I wanted to work in. Since then, I've been approved in some areas and rejected in others. It all comes down to those samples. Be very careful, because you don't get a redo. There is no other procedure to pass. If your samples are approved, you are in. Sometimes, you hear back in a day, sometimes it might take months if they aren't adding to that subject area.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any questions other than resume-type questions on the application.   Answer Question

Content Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an employee already working at the company, whom I didn't know prior, telling me that my job skills seemed to match the opportunity and that I should apply. I completed the online application, and got confirmation for a phone call interview soon after. A week after the phone interview, I was brought in to meet with four different managers. I thought the interview itself went well and everyone seemed affable. Following the interview, I sent out a thank you note to all the managers, and one even sent back a friendly reply. After two weeks, I didn't hear anything, and sent an email to follow up and confirm the status of their search. No response. A few days later, I sent another email to another one of the managers. Also no response. I figured they had already decided upon someone else, but it would have been courteous to reply to the candidates--even if they were still in the decision stage. About seven days after I had given up, a recruiter from the same company reached out to me on LinkedIn for the same exact position I had already interviewed and been ignored for, telling me I would be a good fit. I told him I had already met with the managers, and asked if he could shed any light on the job status. He didn't reply, but soon after, the Jobvite case was closed.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a difficult situation with a client?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I initiated my contact with Demand Media at university career fair. I was applying for internships related to Android development. At the career fair, I was interviewed by an engineer who asked me questions about basic Android concepts such as life cycle of an Activity and Fragments, as well as Java concurrency.

Later I was invited to an onsite interview. The first part was an written test. There are different areas including web front-end, back-end, Android, iOS, etc. Later we had a tour around the work place and current employees gave talks on their teams. Finally, there was one-on-one interview by engineers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I got a call from the career fair in my university. The interview process was 2 hours long. There was a 1 hour long written test, the questions were very easy and dealt with basic php, html,css,javascript, programming. Next 1 hour was HR interview. Nothing technical, just some questions on the resume and about the company

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

1)Phone interview - asked basic questions on html/css/js , responsive web design, security
    2)onsite interview - company briefing, linner, written test ( very basic set of q's on all web technologies ), set of interviews with all the four major teams at DM. Questions were based on previous projects.

Interview Questions

Waiting for a better offer.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied to an online listing, got a phone call the same day. I was informed that I fit the job specifications to a tee so they were fast-tracking me. After a phone call with my future manager, they brought me in for an onsite with himself and two other team members. The process was fast and people cordial and very friendly. I received a call by the end of the week informing me I had got the position.

Interview Questions

• What's something you're really bad at?   1 Answer

Web Technical Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to work at Demand Media. I wasn't looking for a job, but he persuaded me to interview anyways. I passed the phone screen easily and was scheduled for a half-day on-site interview. Halfway through the first one hour session, the two interviewers run out of questions. While waiting for the next interviewer, one of the recruiters comes in and tells me due to a scheduling conflict, a sickness, and a third reason, my next three interviewers won't be available to interview me. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Either I bombed the interview really horribly (which I doubt), or they were just extremely unprofessional about the situation. I emailed the recruiter twice after the fact for some answers and he never got back to me.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an OUTER JOIN and an INNER JOIN?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

Company recruiter reached out via e-mail -- did not reply to my immediate reply for over a week, despite several attempts to reach recruiter.

Initial screen with potential supervisor was via phone -- many of the 'run-of-the-mill' questions one would expect. This was acceptable, as there needs to be some way of keeping all interviewees on the same page and be able to compare them.

Next round (next week) was with 3 people (boss, another executive level person, and a 'peer'). Overall, friendly atmosphere, but I could already tell that everybody had different expectations from that position and there was no 'clear/final' job description.

Follow-up interview (2 or 3 weeks later) round was with A) 'boss of my boss' / PR boss and B) two other executive level people -- 2 interviewers per interview. (A) was constructive and 'give-and-take', (B) was another one those interviews where it became clear that expectations from and projections onto this position were not defined yet. Tough to sell yourself, if you do not know what to sell.

Did not hear for another week -- was asked to come back for another round to 'chat' one more time with a panel of 5 (I had already talked to all of them at least once before). At this point, I knew the decision was down to me or another candidate, but -- again -- I did not know what the parameters were and I could not quite get to the bottom of what Demand Media was looking for from the final round candidates.

About a week later, the opening was offered to the other candidate -- I cannot tell what the decision was based on, though.

Overall, the process was drawn out too long and I got the feeling that DM did not know what they were looking for -- rather that the job description evolved as they were looking for the candidate. Also, it did not feel as though my (potential future) supervisor was completely in charge of picking the new candidate independently -- it felt more like a decision by committee (which, in my mind almost always leads to compromise and subpar decisions when it comes to hiring. A team leader should pick his/her team and stand by that decision).

Content Editor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

Three - 30 minute interviews. Review of background experience and skills.

Negotiation

Salary non-negotiable.