Demand Media

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Analyst Interview

Marketing Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Demand Media in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied to an online listing, got a phone call the same day. I was informed that I fit the job specifications to a tee so they were fast-tracking me. After a phone call with my future manager, they brought me in for an onsite with himself and two other team members. The process was fast and people cordial and very friendly. I received a call by the end of the week informing me I had got the position.

Interview Question – What's something you're really bad at?   View Answer

Internship Interview

Internship
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Demand Media.

Interview Details – 1)Phone interview - asked basic questions on html/css/js , responsive web design, security
2)onsite interview - company briefing, linner, written test ( very basic set of q's on all web technologies ), set of interviews with all the four major teams at DM. Questions were based on previous projects.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Waiting for a better offer.

Content Editor Interview

Content Editor
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Demand Media in June 2008.

Interview Details – Three - 30 minute interviews. Review of background experience and skills.

Negotiation Details – Salary non-negotiable.

Web Technical Manager Interview

Web Technical Manager
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Demand Media in October 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter to work at Demand Media. I wasn't looking for a job, but he persuaded me to interview anyways. I passed the phone screen easily and was scheduled for a half-day on-site interview. Halfway through the first one hour session, the two interviewers run out of questions. While waiting for the next interviewer, one of the recruiters comes in and tells me due to a scheduling conflict, a sickness, and a third reason, my next three interviewers won't be available to interview me. I was in and out in 45 minutes. Either I bombed the interview really horribly (which I doubt), or they were just extremely unprofessional about the situation. I emailed the recruiter twice after the fact for some answers and he never got back to me.

Interview Question – What is the difference between an OUTER JOIN and an INNER JOIN?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Santa Monica, CA

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Demand Media in August 2008.

Interview Details – Company recruiter reached out via e-mail -- did not reply to my immediate reply for over a week, despite several attempts to reach recruiter.

Initial screen with potential supervisor was via phone -- many of the 'run-of-the-mill' questions one would expect. This was acceptable, as there needs to be some way of keeping all interviewees on the same page and be able to compare them.

Next round (next week) was with 3 people (boss, another executive level person, and a 'peer'). Overall, friendly atmosphere, but I could already tell that everybody had different expectations from that position and there was no 'clear/final' job description.

Follow-up interview (2 or 3 weeks later) round was with A) 'boss of my boss' / PR boss and B) two other executive level people -- 2 interviewers per interview. (A) was constructive and 'give-and-take', (B) was another one those interviews where it became clear that expectations from and projections onto this position were not defined yet. Tough to sell yourself, if you do not know what to sell.

Did not hear for another week -- was asked to come back for another round to 'chat' one more time with a panel of 5 (I had already talked to all of them at least once before). At this point, I knew the decision was down to me or another candidate, but -- again -- I did not know what the parameters were and I could not quite get to the bottom of what Demand Media was looking for from the final round candidates.

About a week later, the opening was offered to the other candidate -- I cannot tell what the decision was based on, though.

Overall, the process was drawn out too long and I got the feeling that DM did not know what they were looking for -- rather that the job description evolved as they were looking for the candidate. Also, it did not feel as though my (potential future) supervisor was completely in charge of picking the new candidate independently -- it felt more like a decision by committee (which, in my mind almost always leads to compromise and subpar decisions when it comes to hiring. A team leader should pick his/her team and stand by that decision).

Interview Question – There were none. Cookie-cutter.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Demand Media interview questions and advice in Santa Monica, CA. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Demand Media employees and interview candidates.