Demand Media Interview Questions in Santa Monica, CA

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.6

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Couple phone interviews first then they invited me to a full day interview meetings on campus and had to talk with the management, supervisors and HR then two technical interviews one video call to another office with a couple technical staff and another with the project manager which was a few written tests, then another interview with other team members which they each asked their own questions. Then had a tour of the campus and job duties walk through. Following day another phone interview and the same day they came up with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were in broad topics, started with simple OO programming concepts, C# syntax and overall .NET technologies and went down to Linq and list management and newer C# syntax like what does ?? operator do.   1 Answer

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn and got a call the next day from Sadia asking me to come in that day for an interview. She told me more about the role, the company, and answered the questions I had. During my face-to-face interview, I met with the entire People Operations team. I answered their questions and they told me more about the job, the goals they had, and the team culture. Everyone was so very nice! My interview took about an hour, which made me feel like my time wasn't being wasted. I got to learn a lot about the job and the people I would be working with, which made choosing to work at Demand so much easier. A couple days later, I got an email from Sadia asking me to come in the next week for an interview with the SVP of People Operations. During that interview, she asked me why I was suited for the position and what I wanted to end up doing. The whole team was very interested in having someone who would be at the company and grow with it. Who could ask for more from a company? Overall, the process took a week and I couldn't have been happier with it. Nice recruiters and an even nicer team.

Interview Questions

• Why are you suited for this position?   1 Answer

Freelance Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I was asked to submit three samples in the area I wanted to work in. Since then, I've been approved in some areas and rejected in others. It all comes down to those samples. Be very careful, because you don't get a redo. There is no other procedure to pass. If your samples are approved, you are in. Sometimes, you hear back in a day, sometimes it might take months if they aren't adding to that subject area.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked any questions other than resume-type questions on the application.   Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a mess. I was contacted to interview for the position I applied for, and when I responded with availability, was scheduled and canceled on 3 separate times and never followed through. A month later, they reached out again, asking if I would like to interview for a different position. I did, first via phone which led to a request for an in-person. I was told a confirmation email would come with the date, time and individuals I would be interviewing with. It never came, so I followed up (via Linkedin, because no one had given me their email address at this point). It was rescheduled, and I went in for a 3 hour interview with 3 members of the team. The following week, I was asked in the afternoon to come in the following morning first thing. I did, and met with one of the same individuals and a new team member. When I left, they reached out for my references. I sent them through, and never heard anything again. I reached out via email to 2 individuals I met with to find out my application status, and have heard nothing back. Even if their intent changed, any respectable organization that takes a candidate that far in the interview process communicates to them that they have decided to go in a different direction. I read the negative reviews on Glassdoor but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Turns out they're as disorganized and unprofessional as their reputation suggests.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I initiated my contact with Demand Media at university career fair. I was applying for internships related to Android development. At the career fair, I was interviewed by an engineer who asked me questions about basic Android concepts such as life cycle of an Activity and Fragments, as well as Java concurrency. Later I was invited to an onsite interview. The first part was an written test. There are different areas including web front-end, back-end, Android, iOS, etc. Later we had a tour around the work place and current employees gave talks on their teams. Finally, there was one-on-one interview by engineers.

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an employee already working at the company, whom I didn't know prior, telling me that my job skills seemed to match the opportunity and that I should apply. I completed the online application, and got confirmation for a phone call interview soon after. A week after the phone interview, I was brought in to meet with four different managers. I thought the interview itself went well and everyone seemed affable. Following the interview, I sent out a thank you note to all the managers, and one even sent back a friendly reply. After two weeks, I didn't hear anything, and sent an email to follow up and confirm the status of their search. No response. A few days later, I sent another email to another one of the managers. Also no response. I figured they had already decided upon someone else, but it would have been courteous to reply to the candidates--even if they were still in the decision stage. About seven days after I had given up, a recruiter from the same company reached out to me on LinkedIn for the same exact position I had already interviewed and been ignored for, telling me I would be a good fit. I told him I had already met with the managers, and asked if he could shed any light on the job status. He didn't reply, but soon after, the Jobvite case was closed.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a difficult situation with a client?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I got a call from the career fair in my university. The interview process was 2 hours long. There was a 1 hour long written test, the questions were very easy and dealt with basic php, html,css,javascript, programming. Next 1 hour was HR interview. Nothing technical, just some questions on the resume and about the company

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

1)Phone interview - asked basic questions on html/css/js , responsive web design, security 2)onsite interview - company briefing, linner, written test ( very basic set of q's on all web technologies ), set of interviews with all the four major teams at DM. Questions were based on previous projects.

Interview Questions

Waiting for a better offer.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied to an online listing, got a phone call the same day. I was informed that I fit the job specifications to a tee so they were fast-tracking me. After a phone call with my future manager, they brought me in for an onsite with himself and two other team members. The process was fast and people cordial and very friendly. I received a call by the end of the week informing me I had got the position.

Interview Questions

• What's something you're really bad at?   1 Answer

Freelance Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Demand Media (Santa Monica, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

It was an email interview where I answered questions about my work as a writer and as an editor. I explained to them about the variety of freelance writing jobs I have had such as website reviewer and as an editor.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know my writing background.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not a negotiation phase.