Demandware Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Demandware in February 2015.

Interview

First a brief phone screen by the company recruiter just to verify you have the basic skills they are seeking. You then go through a phone screen by another Solutions Architect. This was not difficult, just basic questions concerning the technologies they use. They then require you to go on-site to Burlington, MA for a face-to-face. There you are interviewed by 5 or so people at differing levels. The "Sr" solutions architect will start out by just saying "draw me a system you've architected", which I did but I suspect he didn't know about the technologies I was describing because he didn't really ask any deep questions. Then he asked me a "two" technical questions, more along the lines you would ask a programmer. I got one of them right but had difficulty remembering the answer to the second (gee, maybe it's because I've been doing higher level tasks requiring higher level skills than coding in Javascript for a while). The rest of the interviews seem to go fine, however when it came time for the Sr. Director to interview me he suddenly had an emergency and asked me if I had any questions (gave me 5 minutes, even though I had travelled a long ways to be there). Said he didn't need to ask any questions because he trusted the feedback of his team. Ovarall I thought it went very well but the next day they told me they were going to pass because they thought it would take to long for me to learn their product (which I find humorous considering I've been in IT for 18yrs and come from a background of products that I'm sure are much more difficult than what they have). In other words it was a huge waste of my time.

N/A Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Demandware.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me within a week and 3 interview were set up within 2 weeks. Each interview was 30 minutes. In my professional experience you go through a 30 minute phone screen and then interview with other people for at least an hour. Due to the fact the interviews were back to back I don't feel like I had enough time to really discuss the position. It was clear from the start the hiring manager was the total opposite from me and would not have been a good match. The hiring manager's manager was even worse and I didn't feel as if he was paying attention. I find it useless when someone asks me to go through my resume. They have it in front of them so I think it's time better spent to ask relevant questions, although I did highlight what I thought would be important. Overall, I was not impressed with the interviewers.

The recruiter seemed more interested in selling me the benefits about the company rather than the job.

I had to follow up weekly to find out the status. I was finally told they had chosen another candidate. That was fine because I wasn't impressed and their bonus structure seemed a little shady.

I didn't feel like they were able to articulate a clear vision of the company or a good understanding of the position. That could perhaps be because they weren't really sure.

The hiring manager was new to a leadership role which at this point in my career concerned me.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Demandware (Burlington, MA).

Interview

The process consisted of a phone interview with a recruiter and an on-site with technical people. The recruiter reminded me of a used car salesman and had very poor communication skills and clearly did not understand what it is that they were looking for or what they do there.

The technical interview was surprising because there were no real technical questions that one would expect for this type of role. I was not sure what to think as there are usually a few different reasons for such poor hiring process and none of them are any good. My overall impression was that this company was struggling to cope with change and could not hold onto good talent. I suspect that the usual issues with old guard fighting change and new talent does want to deal with constant battle.

The company felt like there were internal issues and I was not willing to take the risk to find out how bad it is.

Java Developer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Demandware (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Phone Interview followed by in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• From the design perspective, what would you do to make an application less open for modification.   1 Answer

Yes, I got another offer from another company.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Demandware in January 2014.

Interview

After initial phone conversation with recruiter - things went cold for months 4 months - without any information from the company.

Then went in for f2f interview ...
    * The person scheduled for interview was not avail, others filled in the spot - the interviewers were nice, courteous & knowledgeable
    * Interviewers were interested (understandable so) about my thoughts on SDLC, my experiences, achievements, were not really interested in any technical aspects (not that position called for hands-on, but being engineers in tech world, I expected some amount of tech questions - I asked them many tech questions & bounced alternative ideas)
    * Hiring manager was busy so had to interview in pieces & did not seem like a coherent line of questions
    * Things went cold again after interview - had to remind, then I was told, I'll be moving on to next rounds of in-person interview, but a week later (again had to remind) was told - that's not the case - all the while no feedback.

In summary:
    * Utterly dis-organized process
    * Non-responsive recruiting, hiring management team
    * Confusing indications about next steps
    * No feedback during the process unless you take initiative

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, interviewers were nice & knowledable   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Demandware (Burlington, MA).

Interview

Interviews were pleasant and technically challenging, but did not get mired down in trivial details. Company was aggressive about checking status along the way and gave a competitive offer. Executive level interview was probably the most challenging, surprisingly. Felt comfortable at all steps along the way and was never left wondering for too long what the next step would be.

Product Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Demandware (Burlington, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

3 stage process - a phone screen, followed by in-person interviews with hiring manager and peers, followed by a final round with the hiring manager and his peers. The process was standard in my experience. The phone screen was focused on my background and experience. The first in-person series was also about my background but in more depth - what type of work I did, how it impacted the organization, what I liked about the role.

I will say that culture and fit is a big deal for them so the interviews are also about how the interviewee fits with the company.

Mobile Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Demandware (Woburn, MA) in October 2010.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter within a couple of days of submitting my resume. The recruiter was very knowledgeable about the company and role and had a comfortable, engaging interview style. We explored the details of the role, and although it was a pretty good fit for both of us, salary was not in line with my expectations. With just a little coaxing, the recruiter provided the salary range first (fairly wide), offering me the chance to say that mine was above the range. We explored my background further and the recruiter offered that other (sales engineering) roles would be most likely be opening soon and I would be a strong candidate for those.

Tech Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woburn, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Demandware (Woburn, MA) in March 2009.

Interview

Interview process was short and straight to the point. I interviewed two people on my future team as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to recall some event in my life where I had to use problem-solving skills to figure something out.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer I received was competitive and I did not negotiate much.

Rigorous But Fair Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Demandware.

Interview

Interview process involved multiple discussions with staffers from different areas including: HR, Hiring Manager, Regional Manager, Department VP. All made me feel like they were not only taking the selection seriously, but also that they wanted to make sure I was totally clear and comfortable with what the role and company had to offer me - which is refreshing compared to most interviews I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Remote questioning: Skype - being able to confidently and fluidly perform on a video call is not that simple, but makes a conversation much more personal than just a phone call.   Answer Question