Dematic Mechanical Systems Engineer II Interview Questions

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Mechanical Systems Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dematic (Grand Rapids, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

I was hired in Australia in our Sydney Office via an online advertisement that a recruiter had put out. I first had a 1:1 meeting with the recruiter after I spoke briefly with him on the phone. He put together a summry about me for the employer to weigh up. I got an interview a few days later 1:1 with the potential manager and get walked through the company. There were a few other people that were further down the interview process for the position so i was never a definite choice for the position (since I only had an engineering science degree at the time of interview and i was 21). I was offered a 2nd interview a week and a half later with the manager, department head and one of the other employees, when the initial candidates did not fit well with their psychometric testing. I was up against one other person who was well qualified for the position with 5 years experience in mechanical engineering. They still got me to go into do a 4 hour psychometric test which gave them a 12 page report on my personality, temperament, IQ, and how they could manage me. They gave the position to the other candidate, but because my scores were so high and I was going to be finishing an engineering degree part time if they gave me a full time position, they made an identical role and offer me the position. I started working there 3 weeks later. When I transferred to the US, I was refered by my CEO and Department manager and got a phone interview with my now current manager. They then flew me over here for a week to scope out the place, see if I like the set up and look for apartments, and then I signed the contract a few months later.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years or 10 years? I never really looked to the future so much so this was a hard question for me but it is getting easier as I try different roles and hear of other job opportunities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate. I was given comparable pay as the guy with 5 years experience (mainly because I had AutoCAD drafting skills at the same or better level). I was given a contract and I signed it when I saw the pay.