Denver Mattress

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boise, ID

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Denver Mattress in January 2011.

Interview Details – I walked into Denver Mattress in Boise ID and asked if they were hiring, the assistant manager said "always" and had me fill out a paper application on the spot. After I was done he looked it over and and asked me if I could work nights and weekends; to which I said yes... he then asked if I would be willing to relocate for promotion; to which I said yes. Interview # 1 done. He then set up a time for me to speak with the manager.

I came in and spoke to the manager about 4 days later and spent a little more than an hour in this interview. This was much more in detail and the manger asked about where I grew up and all of my past relationships, including my mom and dad and wife and kids. I really felt like he wanted to get to know me as a person. He did go into work experience and a bunch of questions regarding honesty and integrity, I remember clearly two questions... When is it OK to lie and when have you not been able to keep a promise...
after the interview was over he explained the process and said the district manager would be up in a couple weeks and I would have a "final" talk with him.

1 day later I received a call from the manger and he said plans have changed and that the district manager would be in town 2 days from now and could I come in on Tuesday at 10AM or 1PM? I said 1PM would work great and then met with the District Manager that day.

This interview was the longest and I was asked all kinds of things... starting from where I was born and growing up to jobs and criminal record and drug use. The district manger seemed at ease and just stressed honesty in the answers I gave. It was more of a therapy session than an interview as i thought of past and present relationships, my wants and needs and where I wanted to go in the future.

Interview Question – Have you ever had handcuffs put on you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The district manager said I could start next Monday and I smiled and said thank you!

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview Details – Asked about my work background. Reviewed my resume. A store manager trainee is literally just a sales position. You will eventually (1-2 years) be eligible to be a store manager somewhere in the US.

Interview Question – I felt comfortable with all of the questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales and Service Representative Interview

Sales and Service Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview Details – Not the typical interview questions. They pretty much ask you to talk about yourself for about 2 hours.

Interview Question – Definitely was not expected to be questioned if I was aware of the "hair follicle drug test". They try to scare you saying that the test can go back 5-7 years. Which is not true and even if it was most people that are working there were teenagers 5-7 years ago and were at different places in there lives. Nevertheless, I was never drug tested. They just want you to be honest.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is nothing negotiable. Its a commission based job with no vacation days until you work with the company for a year.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Retail Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Retail Sales Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview Details – I went through all three level of interviews, playing along with questions about my childhood and what it was like in my family on Christmas morning. It seemed like they were holding it against me that I had a great family life and kept pushing to find something that I had done wrong or some way that my family was dysfunctional. None of this seemed relevant to selling mattresses... When I got to the third interview, the manager offered me the job on the spot. I said I needed to go home and talk to my significant other and was never called back, as promised.

Interview Question – They probed and threatened me regarding drug use at each of the three interviews. I told them multiple times I'd never used drugs and they seemed to not believe me. They warned me over and over that I would be fired if I was lying. They talked about intensive drug tests they would do that could go back 7-10 years and I said that was fine, like I had already said, I've never done drugs.   View Answer

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview Details – This was easily the most unusual interview process I had ever experienced but it was wonderful. There are three interviews. The first is with an assistant manager. It is primarily a "get to know you" session. There is very little concern with your work history because they know they can train anybody. They mostly want to make sure you are a good person with good work ethic and drive. The second interview is with a store manager and is a little more in depth and starts to dive into work history a little more. The final interview is with a district manager. It is extremely in depth and thorough. Everyone I interviewed with was happy with their jobs and were honestly happy to be talking to me as well. During the first interview I had the assistant manager had to step away for a moment to help a customer. While that was a little off putting at first I ended up liking it because it allowed me to see exactly what it is that they do.

Interview Question – There were lots of unusual questions but two that stuck out to me:
When is it ok to tell a little white lie? It's a bit of a loaded question but it allows them to really see what type of integrity you have.

Also:
Tell me about something you have FAILED at...
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but personally didn't feel any need. Pay rates were fair and terms were everything I would expect from any employer.

Sales Manager Trainee

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Denver Mattress.

Interview Details – I know that I did not have an ordinary interview process when I was going through the process for Denver Mattress. I had a phone interview, than an in-person interview with the District Manager. The longest process would be meeting with the Assist-Manager, Store Manager, then the District Manager. The interviews are usually long and pretty personal, so be aware of that. Most important, be as honest as you can be.

Interview Question – What is the worst thing you have ever done?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating phase. The starting position in sales is pure commission.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Denver Mattress in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online on their website. The interview consists of 3 total interviews The first interview is with the assistant manager (45 minutes), the second interview is with the manager (1 hour) and finally the last interview is with the district manager (1.5 hours). The interviews are held in the back of the store in their office. The first two interviews are trying to find out if you can sell and all of the interviews are making sure you are a good fit for their company culture which is based on integrity and strong work ethic. The final interview entailed "get to know you" questions. These consisted of questions regarding your resume, schools attended, childhood, family, friends and any criminal background. They were all very friendly and it was more of a conversation rather than just asking questions one right to the next. It was quite refreshing. My suggestion is to research the company and ask as many questions as you can.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – It is 100% commission.

Manager Trainee Interview

Manager Trainee
Toledo, OH

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Denver Mattress in December 2012.

Interview Details – Not as typical as most interviews. There was no office, just sat at a couple of chairs at the front of the store for both of the interviews I went to. Have to be willing to work on commisson, which I really don't care for but you only get a chance at every few customers as they work on a rotation. Benefits don't kick in for about 6 months, which is not common. If you want to continue to move up in the company, you need to be willing to move. I have had the chance to get to the third and final interview, but I do not think that I will take that chance because the job does not fit my interest and what I need, but to others it may.

Interview Question – What would your critics say about you?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Denver, CO

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Denver Mattress in January 2009.

Interview Details – Three interviews. The questions were not hard to answer, probably one of the most laid-back styles of interviews, but the interviews themselves are very long (I think a couple of mine were more than 2 hours long). They really want to get to know you, and find out what you are about. They want to make sure you are honest and ethical.

Interview Question – If I called your previous employer, how would they describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - straight commission.

Boise, ID

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Denver Mattress in July 2008.

Interview Details – I worked for Denver Mattress for 2 years. From the interviews that I conducted (which are in the 50's), I found that there are a few common factors of persons that I would try to hire. Please, keep in mind, as a manager, you are expected to weed out most candidates. Here are the requirements: Willing to move, willing to work long hours (50+), work every weekend, work every holiday (or at least, the days leading up to, and the day after), learn a script (that you will be held accountable for, no "ifs, ands, or buts").

Honestly, be as honest as you can. You will either fit the team/situation, or you won't. Do not take it personally either way. Denver Mattress is concerned with their profits and status in the 'Mattress' community first. So, if you don't fit, well then maybe its not for you.

Dress sharp, look them in the eye (not in a creepy way), hold your chin up, do not try to hide anything, introduce yourself with your hand open for a handshake, be proud of your accomplishments/challenges, Walk tall, and MAKE THEM LAUGH.

If hired, lay on every bed for at least 20 minutes. I'd probably give it a month before you do this, but it will help you. Everyone has a different kind of spine.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS!!!

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of?   View Answer
  • What has been your greatest challenge, and what have you done?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't even try this one, it will shut you down. I didn't get unemployment after being fired for going to my 21 y/o brother's funeral. Not kidding.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Denver Mattress

Worked for Denver Mattress? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Denver Mattress interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Denver Mattress employees and interview candidates.