Design Within Reach

Updated Nov 18, 2014
Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.3

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Design Within Reach.

I was surprised that I was intereviewed for 30 minutes, not really asked any standard questions, not asked for any references, I was actually asked more about a former boss and if she would like ajob here as well. I was told later that I was hired on not because the Studio needed more people but because the Interviewer didn't want to pass me up.

Interview Questions
    • None - I had more difficult interviews for internships.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

The Recruiter was very kind and made sure you were fully comfortable. I met with the The Chief of HR who took her business card back after our 45 minute interview together (which is a pure indication that she was not interested). I was scheduled to meet with the Payroll/Benefits Admin afterwards, but was advised that the she had to suddenly reschedule....Really? Do you think that I'm that stupid to buy this story? If this is how the business treats their candidates (especially with this kind of dishonesty), then it's understandable as to why the employees are unhappy based on their negative reviews about this place.

Studio Proprietor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Design Within Reach in September 2013.

Interview process was casual. There were a few phone calls and 2 face-to-face meetings.
    Expectations were outlined very clearly. There was regular communication updating me as to where I stood in the interview process all the way up to the final decision. I did not get teh position - but I was grateful for the professionalism and communiation made during the whole process .

Interview Questions
    • How to build and grow a sales team when you are a part of the sales team - competing with them - while managing the studio   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Design Within Reach in June 2013.

Easy going, within two weeks I was working.

Interview Questions
    • If I could bd a piece of furniture what would I be?   View Answer
    No negotiation, it's all commission.

Information Systems Intern Interview

I was contacted by someone from HR after they found my resume online. Getting an interview was a slow process even though I was contacted and asked if i wanted one. The interview was with the whole department which consisted of 5 people. I was asked about my experience, to tell them about myself, career ambitions, to explain projects I worked on at school, and why I wanted to work at DWR

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses. I'm usually just asked for one of each so 3 threw me a little off and I had some difficulty answering it   Answer Question
    There wasn't any negotiation allowed for the intern rate.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Design Within Reach in May 2012.

Interview process was relatively easy. An initial phone interview was conducted. They were pretty flexible with that as they called when I was on a flight. When I landed, I received the message and called back with no issues. The formal interview was also great. Solid questions were asked and they did their best in that short time to get to know you.

Interview Questions
    • What three things would you like us to remember about you when making our decision?   View Answer
    Negotiation was easy, we worked through details about my then-current job and figured out the best way to compromise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Design Within Reach in July 2010.

It's typically a two-step process where you interview with the Studio Proprietor and then, if the Proprietor gives the thumbs up, the Area Manager. Be prepared to discuss Design and Mid-Century furniture. Interview will also probe into how you deal under pressure and how you feel about engaging with customers. The key is to never ask, "can I help you find something today?" but instead start a conversation with the customer about the item they are currently looking at.

Interview Questions
    Base salary is set. There is no negotiation. However, there is opportunity to make quite a bit of money from commissions.

Studio Account Executive Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Design Within Reach in April 2011.

I was contacted by a contracted recruiter. I was sent an IQ test to complete, which was somewhat difficult. (I passed) I was asked to come in for an interview and a few days latter offered the job.

Interview Questions
    make an offer and plead your case and you'll probably get what you ask for

Studio Account Executive Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Design Within Reach in October 2009.

Design Within Reach came off to be the perfect empoyer at the initial interview. Upon being hired my perception was drastically changed.

Interview Questions
    I would consider other candidates to look elsewhere in order to avoid regrets.