Desire2Learn

Relevance Date Difficulty

QA Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Desire2Learn

Interview Details – Part 1 of 3:
Screening call of past experience and some programming questions.

Interview Question – Some of the questions:
- What's a hash
- what's reflection
- diff between Get() and Post()
- whats a stack?
- whats a heap?
  Answer Question

Not Specified Interview

Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview. Then interview with hiring manager. Then panel and individual interviews with other managers and director.

Interview Question – What will you be doing the night before you start your new job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary & vacation were not negotiable, but they allowed me to have my benefits start immediately rather than after 3 months.

Software Developer (Co-op) Interview

Software Developer (Co-op)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Desire2Learn in July 2011.

Interview Details – The process was simple, just a Telephonic interview. Interview conducted by one Hr and one technical person. Pretty straight and to the point technical questions. The pay offered was pretty fair.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Whatever I asked, they accepted and offered me salary which meets my expectations.

Deployment Specialist Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – Really easy interview.
Asked general questions
know your resume

Software Engineer - Customizations Interview

Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Desire2Learn in September 2013.

Interview Details – First got a 45 minute phone interview which consisted of resume, behavioral, and technical questions. Got a reply back a couple days later for an in-person interview. The in-person was 1 hour long. Half an hour consisted of resume discussion, and the other half was technical questions. The technical part consisted of 2 questions - the first question I was given a page of code and was asked to find things I would change (try/catch exceptions, public to private variables, etc.). The second question was "How would you design a deck of cards" and "how would you shuffle a deck of cards?".

Got a reply back a few days later saying I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a Thread and a Process?   View Answer
  • List some design patterns and describe one of them in detail   View Answer
  • Given 2 arrays of names, how would you merge them?   View Answers (2)

Sales Support Interview

Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – Applied online, received feedback for phone interview after 2 weeks. Had initial phone screen with HR (approx 30 mins). Was invited to an in-person interview with 3 different people for 20 minutes per person. Was invited back for second interview with two of the initial interviewers. Final phone conversation with hiring manager about salary before being presented with offer.

Interview Question – Tell me what you think this job entails and what you think you'll be doing   View Answer

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – Arranged through my university. Was asked to provide a website I liked and explain why, talk about accessibility, design fundamentals. Was interviewed by a product designer and a hiring manager. For full-time interviews, I believe the hiring manager of the team you'd be working on interviews you, but for co-op you may not work with your interviewers.

Interview Question – Nothing was overly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

External Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – I submitted my application via their website, with a CV, Cover Letter, and salary expectations. I received an email from a recruiter about three weeks later, offering to set up a phone interview for the following afternoon. At the phone interview, was asked very boilerplate questions like "why do you want to work for us," "what do you look for in a manager," and "what are your strengths/weaknesses." The process lasted 20 minutes, and I was told that I would hear in 3-5 days about a further interview.

Some downsides to the phone interview: The recruiter had little to offer in terms of knowledge of the position, and was not able to answer my questions about the department in any detail. I was *forced* to detail my salary expectations. Usually this is more of a flexible process but I was told I had to state precisely what I expected. Shame, as D2L is known for paying well below industry average. I guess their bureaucratized expansion represents a commitment to miserly compensation at the expense of staff satisfaction.

After two weeks, I received an email inviting me for an in-person interview. This was a 60 minute interview in which I met with the direct manager for whom I would be working. This individual detailed the position, management style, corporate culture, onboarding process, and the like. This interview was more of a 'conversation' and less of a formal interview. Upon speaking with the manager, I felt that this individual did not value creativity or was interested in education (I have three graduate degrees, and the manager cared much more about my work experience than the fact that I completed a MSc, PhD, and MBA. Usually other places at least ask about my graduate and post-graduate work). My guess is that the manager was some former middling BlackBerry manager that has "leadership" experience via a "weekend retreat" but has very little understanding of the dynamics of pedagogical theory or how software development actually works.

D2L, these sorts of personalities will soon by your downfall.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in the private sector as opposed to the academy?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After reading reviews and meeting with the manager, I really didn't want to work at D2L.

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Desire2Learn.

Interview Details – I was asked to do an onsite QA for a match holder.
Then I was asked some simple algorithm questions.
Then I was asked to write some SQL statements

Interview Question – Do an onsite QA for a match holder   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Desire2Learn in February 2012.

Interview Details – One interview, a question on straight-forward object oriented design question and discussion on previous work at other companies.

Interview Question – Design a chess game. What classes would you create? How would you score? How would you win/lose?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Desire2Learn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Desire2Learn interview questions and advice in Canada. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Desire2Learn employees and interview candidates.