Destination XL Interview Questions

Updated May 20, 2015

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Destination XL

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Destination XL.

Interview

The go between recruiter and management was unorganized and frustrating and lengthy. The entire process took over 4 weeks 1. Phone interview with a recruiter 2. Phone interview with store manager 3. Meet store manager in person and discuss company culture. 4. Phone interview with District Manager 5. In person interview with District Manager. 6. Phone interview with Vice President 7. In person job offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for DXL?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked for a company who was going through a restructuring?   Answer Question
    • How much money are you currently making, how much would you expect to make in this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me the difference between being a sales person and being a clerk   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of a time you had to over come a strong objection to a sale, and how did you over come that to make the sale.   Answer Question

DurIng the interview process I discussed how much I currently make and how much I expected to make, and made myself very clear. At the end of the 4 week process they offered me less then what I currently make with no room for negotiations. I declined

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Destination XL (Greenville, SC) in September 2014.

Interview

Met at a hotel with the district manager, and talked about the company and what the company is about, and what to expect. They were a little dodgy on pay... The company refused to tell me how much I would get paid until I accepted and then they sent me an offer letter. Before I went onboard I had a second interview. One on one with district manager and one on one with store manager, then all three of us together. This process may be different now because when I started the store was brand new and just getting put together, so most places probably won't have you meet the DM in a hotel lobby.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever made a mistake? How did you fix it? Job History (goes down the resume with you)? I can't really remember the other questions.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Destination XL.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of an online application and personality test. Two weeks later I received a call and an interview was set up. In the interview I was ask questions that were center on sales and the types of sales I've had in my past, it was and overall general interview.

Key Holder Interview

Interview

Very personable, made you feel at ease. A very good type of interview process. Explained what the job entails. Asked about your work experience and how you see yourself at this company. Overall the process was great.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Destination XL.

Interview

Really fast in terms of Apply to phone interview. Was notified within a week, scheduled a phone call and was briefly given a description of the job. There really wasn't much asked of me other than what was on my Resume. Overall I liked the interview, I was even given a brief description of what I would be doing.

The position offered wasn't exactly what I was hoping for.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Destination XL (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online, next contacted by recruiter, phone interview first , next face to face.

ASM Clothing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Destination XL (Columbus, OH).

Interview

I had 7 interviews, one with the VP of stores, 3 with DM's 3 with store managers..Drove to Cleveland to meet with the VP, and SM. Drove to Pittsburgh to meet with the new SM. What a waist of time! and to have endless conversations with the DMS of stores! Get your business together!!!

What a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Destination XL (Houston, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

Went through 3 interviews for only $10/hr. First was in person, second was with general manager, and third was with district manager. The overall process wasn't hard it was just time because the manager was on business trips at the time I was applying. With the in-person interview, I arrived 15 minutes early. About 20 minutes later, the interview started.

Keyholder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Destination XL (Westport, CT) in July 2012.

Interview

I first met with the store manager and conducted a typical interview - about the job, company, it's culture, my skills etc. Was called back a week or so later to meet with district manager. More of the same questions, second interview was a lot more intensive with a distinct customer focus.

Interview Questions

• Nothing terribly unexpected or unusual, be prepared when meeting with DM to highlight specific sales goals hit or significant progress made toward a certain goal. Vagueries weren't appreciated and was asked for key accomplishments.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really wasn't one - a base pay was offered which I attempted to counter, but was rebuffed. Was out of work at the time, not the place to be particularly 'choosy' - the commission percentage was position-standard and was altered a couple months later.