Detroit Business Consulting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Interview

Sales
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting.

Interview Details – Was called to come in for an interview. When i got there there were 10 other people waiting to go on the same interview. I was called back that same day and asked to go in for a second interview. I was told to wear comfortable shoes for training. I figured i may have to stand while watching someone work on a computer or something but it was because i had to go door to door all day with one of their employees. It was horrible. The person who took me door to door was also very short and misleading about how i would be payed. Also i don't see why the dress code was business professional when you are walking from 11 am to 8pm in the rain. After the day of going door to door i was called in the office of a manager and basically given the job instantly, just like everyone is. I accepted but never went in to take the job after thinking about it over the weekend. So glad i didn't. All the real reviews about this place are consistent while the positive reviews are hilariously fake. Please listen to the negative reviews on here if you are seriously considering taking this job or going for an interview. A friend of mine was called to come in for an interview here and as soon as she told me the name of the company i told her not to go. She was so glad to have been given a heads up.

Interview Question – None of the questions are difficult because they will hire any idiot. They don't care about how smart you are or your qualifications. She told me she was impressed by me having worked at Caribou coffee which i thought was hilarious...I mean really..   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to go door to door from 11am to 8pm every day and night among many other reasons.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews and on the second interview they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview.

Interview Question – Not really a difficult question, but the toughest question they asked was “what is something you need to improve about yourself?"   Answer Question

Non Profit Representative Interview

Non Profit Representative
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a phone call the following day for a 30 minute phone screen. I heard horrible things about the company but decided to give it a shot. They didn't really ask many questions about my work or volunteer experience - they asked about where I go to school, what kind of leadership experience I have, and what my hobbies are. They said they would love to have me in for a two hour in person interview, so I accepted. I was driven across the street by "one of the company's top account managers" to a loud, busy Panera and had the company's structure explained to me: you start off entry level, then become an account manager, then an assistant manager and then an owner. The girl then explained the pay and the hours. It all made sense but seemed like way too much work for little money - and when she said "you have the OPPORTUNITY to make $500-1000 a week". I had a bad feeling about this company already and this was definitely a red flag. The girl made a sexist comment about how women can't do as much work as men in an office and I tried to disagree with her, but I could tell she was uncomfortable and we moved on. Drove back to the office and filled out a survey evaluating the girl who interviewed me at Panera. Then, I went had a 10 minute interview with another manager and he basically asked the same questions from the phone screening. I finally got to ask questions about the actual job - which this guy avoided answering directly. They make it seem like you're doing cool events and canvassing and stuff but he pointed out the window to a neighborhood of houses and was like "you're going into the communities!" and asked if that meant going door-to-door and he said yes. They lied about that on the job posting and I had a bad feeling all along so I knew this wasn't the place for me. Or anyone. Just be aware that if you get hired, they don't really care about your experience, they're just looking for someone to do the horrible job of harassing people for money by going door to door.
Also, they talk about "international" offices and being in "31 states" but there's no information anywhere on the internet about where these offices are, what they do, or anything. They also will never directly tell you what states the other offices are in or what they do differently. I don't trust this company at all.

Interview Question – What is one of your biggest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Flag Interview

Detroit Business Consulting Employer Representative responded to this review

Apr 18, 2014

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

Our positions aren't for everyone. We represent some of biggest clients in the world and some of the greatest charities out there.

Sounds like
... More

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting in September 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was very smooth. I submitted my resume through their website and was contacted by their admin Elizabeth who brought me in for a preliminary interview. The office staff was very welcoming and friendly. They conducted three rounds, the first was brief and done by an assistant manager. The second round I was taken out to Panera by one of their top account managers and they broke their business down for me a lot more and answered all questions I had. My third round interview was then done by a member of the HR department.

Interview Question – From the account managers to the owner, everyone was genuinely interested in me. I've never been on an interview where they actually want to get to know you.   View Answer

Marketing Representatives Interview

Marketing Representatives

Interview Details – My initial interview was through a 9 mins phone call. They just asked a couple of questions about my previous working experience.

Interview Question – they were all very easy.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got another offer

Account Representative Interview

Account Representative
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting in December 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interviews where the first two where traditional, I was offered a position before the third interview? It seemed like a multi level marketing company doing door to door Comcast sales. I do not know why I needed a degree for this type of position. It is commissioned sales. They offer a manager position for people who stay for a year and there are only a couple managers, this means that the turnover is extremely high. Whatever the reason is, I was not going to stick around to find out. Also, this is not your consulting firm, it is a direct sales and marketing firm.

Interview Question – None, out of the many people interviewing, we where all being offered positions. As if everyone who isn't really strange gets hired.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Everyone in the office was really young, there was no managers over 30ish. Also, for having a nice location in Troy, why where they playing loud music during the interview. I was slightly offended that the atmosphere, while optimistic, would have music playing really loud. I should of known, the ad was on Craigslist.

Account Representative Interview

Account Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting.

Interview Details – In total, there are three interviews. I got the second and third interview at the same day. More like a back to back interview.

Interview Question – What is your biggest failure?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting.

Interview Details – They interviewed like five of us at a time; we were supposed to do an interview as well as shadow a salesperson on a couple visits. There wasn't time for the visits so we just did the interview at a local coffee shop. Everyone was nice, but it seemed sort of like a pyramid scheme.

Interview Question – Would you be prepared to move up and have people working under you in the very near future?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't sound like the right place for me.

Non Profit Interview

Non Profit
Troy, MI

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Detroit Business Consulting.

Interview Details – I will let you know more after the interview

Interview Question – seemed easy enough   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Management Trainee
Troy, MI

Interview Details – I went in for a first round interview with DBC, and though I was asked to return for round 2, I chose not to due to the bad feeling I had about the overall operation.

Firstly, they had you come to their office in Troy for the first round interview, which lasted no more than 15 minutes. It was the type of pre-screening interview that could easily have been done over the phone, and in my opinion, it seemed inconsiderate to have people drive in for such a short interview.

Despite my annoyance with having driven over an hour to be there for 15 minutes, I was glad that I got to see their office, because it allowed me to see that the fun, young, trendy atmosphere they attempt to portray is not executed well at all. The overall feel of the office was very forced and was in no way that authentic, fun, start-up-like atmosphere that every young business wants to have these days.

Just in general, though employees were wearing business formal clothing, I did not get a very professional vibe from the company overall, and after reading other DBC reviews online, I decided it was not something I wanted to pursue further.

They're a young company to be sure, but with their size, I would have hoped for a more organized interview process, and I definitely would have liked them to be more up-front about the process on the phone during the initial invitation before I drove all the way out there for the interview.

Interview Question – Have you seen/do you like our website?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Detroit Business Consulting

Worked for Detroit Business Consulting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Detroit Business Consulting interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by Detroit Business Consulting employees and interview candidates.