Detroit Diesel Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 4, 2014
Updated May 4, 2014
8 interviews

Production Cost Controlling Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in November 2013.

The interview process was very well organized. They maintained good timings. There were some basic excel questions, some behavior based questions and a couple of technical questions. Overall it was a good interview.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was like too difficult question, but for me explaining a failure project was not easy as there is nothing which really can be counted as a failure project in my experience.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redford, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redford, MI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in January 2013.

Hiring process was easy. Applied via my University. Got a phone call to set up an interview. Asked basic behavior questions. Not very tough.

Materials Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in October 2012.

Two interviews after recommendation through a contract company. First interview is general experience questions, followed by a secondary process of hypothetical scenarios and response. Total time from start to hiring: 6 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Hypothetical question about disciplinary escalation in regards to union employees, likely to weed out UAW-sympathy or hard-line supervisors.   View Answer
    Initial pay rate was already offered to the contract company before first interview to determine acceptable rate of pay.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in April 2012.

Better than most companies I interviewed with. I had a panel interview with multiple engineers, managers, and directors. The positive aspect of this was that I didn't receive a single fluff type of question. The negative aspect of it was that every single line and statement in my resume was dissected. If you are interviewing with this company, make sure that your resume is extremely polished. Also, be sure that you can explain every single line on your resume in very good detail. Leave out any garbage like high school awards (unless you're applying for an internship). They don't care. They want to know how exactly your past experiences can help you excel at your potential position in the company. Another positive aspect of interviewing at the company is that everyone on the panel is an extremely good listener (much better than other companies I interviewed at). That being said, they're not going to hold back on calling you out on something if it sounds fishy. Also, the panel interview can be quite intimidating, so my advice is to try and practice this with a few other people if you can. I say that because there were a couple of times where I felt like I chocked mid speech (and I am generally a really good interviewee).

Overall, you'll probably walk out of there feeling like you were just in a theater or war, but remain calm cause what comes out of it may surprise you.

I really appreciated the fact that the manager I interviewed with was extremely honest with me (more than others I interviewed with), but I don't know whether or not that will vary on an individual basis.

I can't wait to hear my decision.

Interview Questions
    I got an offer that was more than 10 % greater than what I asked for in the interview.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in April 2012.

The controller interviewed me through a phone first. Asked some basic questions on financial statement analysis and office software skills. Then we set up a 1:1 interview 1 week later and went through my resume.

Consolodation Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Redford, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Redford, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in December 2011.

Regular fit interview. 3 people just interviewed me and asked what I knew and why I wanted to work for them. They talked for half of the interview about what they do and whether I would be interested or not. Overall it really wasn't a hard interview. Come in with questions about what you are going to do and you honestly will be fine. By the way, I wasn't hired because I was under qualified for the actual position because I am not an inter.

Interview Questions
    • What technical skills do you have in microsoft suite?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Detroit Diesel.

Fit interview w/ some basic tech. questions about economics.

Engineering Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Detroit Diesel in May 2007.

Phone interview to start, and then personal interview followed by a plant tour. The people who gave the interview are real nice. Advice I would give to someone who is interviewing with this company would be to be honest and to be confident.

Interview Questions

Worked for Detroit Diesel? Contribute to the Community!