Deutsche Bank

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Group Administrator Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Deutsche Bank in February 2011.

Interview Details – Interview was set up via a recruiter. I also know someone at DB who said this was a great role. First had a phone interview w/ HR staffer. Went well. Was then invited to the 60 Wall St office and met w/ the department and had 4 individual interviews on first visit. Was invited back for second/final round (on a Wed) and met w/ 3 more including the dept head who was working b/w NY & London. All the interviews went great. Everyone was very pleasant and upfront about what the role involved. On Thursday I get a call from my recruiter saying DB wants to hire me! Great news. Am I willing to do temp to perm? This was never brought up earlier (this was always a day 1 perm placement position). I agree to it but short term - i.e. 90 days. DB agrees. I am asked to come to the office on the following Tuesday (due to Monday presidents day holiday) for drug testing (at a site in NJ) and the orientation in the afternoon. I agree.

I show up on Tuesday promptly on time and everything stops. Security does not have my name on the list. After multiple phone calls, I can't reach any of the 7 people I met w/ last week including the HR rep. By 10 am I'm obviously worried that it will seem I'm so late to first day. I call the recruiter who says to sit tight (I'm still in the lobby!). He calls me back about 30 minutes later. DB has decided to "take a different direction" and not hire me.

They've decided they want all the administration staff on board as long term temps (i.e. endless). This plan is great for them as they never have to provide health benefits, or retirement plan. The recruiter is mortified by this change of events and I'm speechless (while I continue to stand in the lobby at 60 Wall)...

I was very disappointed and horrified at DB's treatment of any new hire. I was asked to join
and showed up. Only now you close the door? Very poor form.

In the long run the DB plan really was to hire very long term temps. Great workers who are on the hook to do a great job while on "probation" w/out health or retirement. Works out great for DB. Recruiter tells me later that DB has changed their process and now temp to perm candidates should expect to be temp for up to and beyond 2 years.

My inside source also confirmed this change - very long term temps as a cost saving method. I'm sorry things worked out this way, I felt like I could have really contributed in a very positive way to the group. However, as a professional adult I need health care and retirement options- I'm willing to wait and prove myself as an employee but not for 2 years. DB would never ask their professional bankers to do this, so why treat admin like second class employees.

I've never heard back from anyone at DB directly.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected or difficult but many of the questions were process based. How would you proceed forward w/ project work based on X circumstances?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Only after offering the job did DB say - we'd like this role to be temp to perm... Changes things a bit as they wanted an endless (i.e. no benefits) temp on staff.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Deutsche Bank

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deutsche Bank Group Administrator interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Deutsche Bank employees and interview candidates.