Deutsche Bank

Deutsche Bank Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Deutsche Bank in December 2014.

Submitted application via University Job Posting. 1st rounds are two 30 minute interviews that were purely technical. Some questions seemed as though they were a test of how you did under pressure, as opposed to actual finance knowledge, but it doesn't hurt to actually know all of the answers.

Called back for superday in office. 5 interviews, 20 minutes each. Everyone was extremely friendly and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know you personally. Easily the most enjoyable superday process I had gone through. First round was much more technical than the superday.

Interview Questions
    • -Walk me through an LBO
      -How would you approximate the IRR of an LBO without a calculator?

Answer Question
    No negotiation, all interns are paid the same

Research Analyst, Global Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Deutsche Bank in December 2014.

I applied online and after what seemed quite a while, got an email from the recruiting team asking if I was interested for the position.
    After I replied with a yes, I got a phone call the following day where they talked about the position and what they were looking for and asked me to talk about myself. Very basic phone call.
    Next, they invited me for the super day while on call and sent me an email with the formalities and information. The interview was for 1.5 hours with 30 mins of back-to-back interviewing with the people from the team. This was scheduled for one week after the phone call.

The interview was in NY at their Wall St office. My time slot had two other students with me who'd flown in from different cities.
    The first interview was casual. I was asked to talk about myself and stuff listed on the resume. There were a few behavioral questions. And that's about it. In short, there was nothing that stood out. Very general.
    The second interview was again related to my resume. Nothing behavioral. I was asked questions about my views on the market and my courses in school.
    The third interview was again market and project related. I was asked questions about my project in much detail though, not just the overview.

The interviewers were friendly sure, but they seemed distracted. I would've said that it was maybe my fault, and it surely could've been, but the way they started talking from the go itself felt as if they were doing it for formality sake, I guess. It wasn't a bad experience, but it wasn't what I expected it to be either.
    Also, I read a lot of interview reviews for DB here, but this wasn't like them. These interviewers weren't there for the behavioral skills and confidence. They wanted someone who was really good with markets, and more.

Interview Questions
    • What are your views on the market at the moment?   Answer Question
    • What are your views on the oil prices?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had a difference of opinion between you and your teammate   Answer Question
    • Tell me something, anything, that you would like to change about yourself   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Deutsche Bank in December 2014.

Applied through the college career services website. Received an email two weeks before the interview. The challenge was that the interview took place during the finals week. Overall, positive experience from the interview. Was asked only behavioral questions, no technical / market / analytical questions. The only downside was that they said they would call later the same day to inform about your status in both cases (selected / not selected), and they never called.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or very difficult. Behavioral questions: tell me about time you had to work in a team.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Deutsche Bank.

Pretty intimidating setup, as all the candidates waited in a lobby and got taken one by one to interview rooms. 2 vs 1 interviews, mostly fit questions and talking about resume/why banking

Interview Questions
    • Comment on a certain stock/company, how they have been doing recently, and their stock price   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

It was very friendly I got invited by the HR Person for a phone interview and really enjoyed the experience. I had a great conversation with my interviewers it was really kind and professional and had a good time talking.

GTO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deutsche Bank.

3 interviews total.
    First round (30 min) with two HR interviewers. They called that evening with their decision to invite applicants back to the final round or to send them home.
    The final round was two 30 min interviews, each with two interviewers. This took place on a Friday and I had a call with an offer that night.
    Overall experience: It was really fun. I enjoyed my conversations with all my interviewers and had a good time meeting and helping the other applicants with their questions.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume.
      What was your most difficult technical problem?
      What was your biggest problem leading x? How did you communicate that?
      How do you analyze data? What is your experience? What is your approach?
      What is the climate of the market? What recent news do you know about DB?
      Technical questions: Linux, hash maps, scope, java questions, etc. They also had some hypothetical algorithm questions but there was no live coding.

Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Deutsche Bank.

I applied to DB through my university's career website. I had never spoken with a recruiter or employee of DB beforehand but was offered an interview. The first round interview consisted of standard behavioral questions (name a time you had to lead a group) technical questions relevant to the job (what are the 3 types of joins - didn't know that one) and brain teasers.

Called back within the week, the second round was effectively the same thing with a slightly heavier technical component. I was asked to write an SQL query but nothing more. More brain-teasers in this one as well. Both of these interviews were with two managers each. Took 3 weeks to recieve a callback from that. (Note, this location was growing and was in all-hand-on-deck hiring mode)

Interview Questions
    • Name the 3 types of SQL joins and the differences between them.   View Answer
    Did not attempt negotiation as an intern - good offer the first time.

Markets Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Deutsche Bank.

The interview involved 3 separate one-on-one interviews for 30 minutes each. Most of the questions were focused on the resume. There were no technical or behavioral questions. The seriousness of each interviewer increased as the day progressed. The first one was laid-back and nice, while the other two were very serious.

Interview Questions
    • They asked the reasoning behind decisions/ events on the resume. Not too difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Deutsche Bank in November 2014.

Applied through on campus recruiting. Interviewed in the morning and recieved an invite to superday at the office the next day. Interviews were not bad at all. There were 4 interviews, each of them 20 minutes long with teams of two. Analysts all the way up to the MD interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • How does a 10 million dollar decrease in depreciation affect the 3 financial statements?   Answer Question
    • What is higher? Cost of equity or cost of debt?   Answer Question
    • Why are manhole covers round?   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Deutsche Bank in November 2014.

First had an on campus interview with 2 members of the technology team, followed by an interview at the office with another 2 members of technology. Then a person who had just completed the program gave a tour of their office building. Still waiting to hear back after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Frequently use brain teasers it seems and analyze your thinking process.   Answer Question