Development Alternatives Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.8

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD).

Interview

After a questionnaire to be filled out at home, I had an interview with a panel of project managers and project associate. There were questions from each, focusing on my skills and how I could assist DAI in their projects. The questions were all pretty open ended, as well as a few that were questions from my resume about training and projects I'd been a part of. It was helpful to have a few questions in mind at the end of the interview when they asked "Do you have any questions for US?"

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Relatively smooth interview process on the company's end with quick turn over on communication. I was impressed at the speed and efficiency of the process. Standard online application, screening call, and 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is your understanding of this position? Tell us about your experience at x. Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives.

Interview

I got through two rounds of interviews with DAI. While I was ultimately not selected I am happy with the outcome because my final impression of the company is that they are disorganized and exhibit poor business practices. Had I received a job offer by the end, I likely would have turned it down as a result. My first interview with DAI actually went very well and I left feeling excited about the opportunity and the company. Unfortunately from then on everything went downhill. It began about a week later with the email I received congratulating me for making it to the second round interview. The email began: “It was a please speaking with you regarding the [Position/Title] opportunity here with DAI.” Clearly this was a form letter and the Senior Corporate Recruitment Manager did not bother to fill in the actual position name; this did not inspire my confidence. The email also requested I bring a photo ID when I arrived at the second interview, even though I had not needed one the first time. This seemed a little confusing and as it turned out I did not actually need an ID. When I arrived for the second interview about a week after receiving the email I found the atmosphere to be very chaotic. The person I was supposed to meet with initially was too busy and so I was brought into an impromptu meeting with someone I had spoken to in my first interview. They seemed unprepared and somewhat disengaged. I was then shuffled into another hasty meeting with someone I had also previously met who also seemed unprepared and confused. Finally I met with the person I had planned to meet initially. Admittedly by this time my enthusiasm has dropped somewhat, however we had what I thought was a good discussion and after repeated apologies about how hectic things were from the recruitment manager I was told I would hear more about my status soon. About a week after my second interview I received another email informing me I was one of the top candidates. The email included several release forms for a background check and was followed by a link where I had to fill in contact information for five professional references that could provide me a recommendation. I was also asked to send a copy of my most recent pay stub to verify my current salary. My references all received emails and graciously took the time to answer all the questions it asked. I also took the time to fill out the release forms. About two weeks later I received a call informing me they had decided to go with another candidate. For both my in-person interviews DAI seemed to struggle finding times, indicating their managers are bad at time management. I had to take off two days from my current job to attend these interviews and spent many hours more filling out forms as part of the process, ultimately I feel as though much of this time was wasted due to their process involving too many unnecessary steps. Most of my second interview involved meeting with two people I had already spoken to extensively in my first interview and they seemed to struggle with finding new questions to ask. Finally, I found it unprofessional that they would contact my references and ask me to fill out release forms before they had selected me as the final candidate. As a result of this my current employer is now aware I am looking for other employment which puts me in a bad position. Based on my experience, I would not recommend DAI to others.

Interview Questions

• No one particular question stands out as being difficult. In my experience the difficulty was more in how disorganized the interview process was.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Corporate Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by the Sr. Vice President of Human Resources after applying for this role. The interview process included a two series of meetings with HR Management team in a 1:1 and panel style format. Questions were thorough and concise targeting core recruitment, compliance and management skills and abilities. The entire process was great and I was immediately drawn to DAI's culture and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• What is motivating your interest in this role (and in DAI) at this time?   Answer Question

Sector Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Development Alternatives.

Interview

I was contacted by their internal recruiter about a month after applying with a questionnaire, quickly followed by a phone interview to assess my foreign language skills. Afterwards, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. After the initial contact, the process moved rather quickly and smoothly overall.

Interview Questions

• The questions mostly seemed to be behavioral situational questions, ie "what would you do when presented with X and Y situation?"   Answer Question

Sector Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews to my knowledge, first was just to touch base, second evaluated my abilities in French, third was in person interview with some members of the Global team

Interview Questions

• Questions focused mainly on office/ interpersonal issues which was somewhat odd seeing as the previous interview tested abilities and gauged one's knowledge of the int'l development sector.   Answer Question

Municipal Services Delivery Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

I responded to a recruitment advertisement listed on a professional recruitment job posting with submission of a resume with a cover letter. My submission of credentials was reviewed by DAI Human Resource Management. followed by an initial telephonic interview with a home office Human Resource manager that was followed by another telephonic position interview scheduled with the Project Manager Chief of Party that ended in an offer being made and accepted.

Interview Questions

• About my interaction and supervision/management style   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives (Bethesda, MD) in March 2010.

Interview

They are a smaller company (though have other worldwide locations) in business to provide development services and implement sustainable programs around the world. With that focus, you get the idea that the staff is truly working there because they are personally committed to helping people ... and that really reflects in the interview process. So, there's no "You're an unworthy person/job candidate until you prove otherwise" attitude when you sit down with them. If you have the same passion as they do--and of course the right education & experience--you'll have more than a fair shot at getting on there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do this kind of work?   1 Answer
    • Why us and not others who do similar work? (or something like that)   1 Answer

Recruitment Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was quickly contacted back. I had a phone interview the next day and at the end of that was asked to go to London for a face to face interview the next week. That interview covered my previous experience, motivation, skills and involved a skills test. It lasted about two hours. After that I was told that they would let me know in a week or so, but in fact it was only two days until they contacted me asking for another interview. This interview was on Skype since it was to be shorter and would not be worth going all the way to London for. It lasted about half an hour and was with a director who further questioned my motivation and skills. Two days later I was contacted by phone and offered the job. I start in July.

Interview Questions

• The test involved being given three CVs and a detailed job description and having to go through everything and choosing the most appropriate candidate.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Development Alternatives in July 2012.

Interview

Two e-mails from HR to set up phone conversation with hiring manager and two team members. Day of phone call I am told by hiring manager that three other team members(a total of five) will be a part of the interview. Phone interview with panel.(panel ballooned to five people on the spot)

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the grand challenges projects?   1 Answer