Development Counselors International

4 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

PR Intern Interview

PR Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Development Counselors International.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straightforward. Had a phone interview and then two face to face interviews. Very simple questions.

Interview Question – Straightforward about my personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just an internship so I accepted

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Development Counselors International.

Interview Details – I applied through the website and was contacted by email a few weeks later. I did a 15 minute phone interview, then came into the office for an in-person. That lasted about twenty minutes, not including a tour of the office. A few days later I was asked for six references and to fill out a planning/creative evaluation.

Interview Question – What is a stakeholder?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Position ended up being different than I was looking for.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Development Counselors International

Interview Details – What can I say? This was the most disrespectful, unorganized company I ever encountered. At literally every step of the way, they rescheduled last minute, would black out on follow up and communication, and completely and utterly fail to adhere to any timetables they gave me. All of this with little to no explanation or apologies. I honestly thought it was some sort of test to see if I could be persistent in a sales role. I would expect a state or federal employer to take over 3 months to hire an intern... but not a small agency like this. The best part was after a month of trying to simply schedule an interview as they had promised... they send me an opaque email simply stating they "will have a decision on X date," upon which I had to inform them they never actually interviewed me. When I did manage to communicate with them, most of the conversation was repeating details of the internship that are available on the website, which they had already spent weeks scheduling previous phone calls to tell me the same thing. The interview was a similar exercise with only 2 or 3 questions having any relevancy to the position. The final insult was failing to inform me of their decision until I reminded them I was still waiting to hear back because it was almost too late to commit to it anyway. The experience was quite strange, and almost entertaining in a way. I don't know if my contact simply had it out for me, but the whole thing was very shady. I would not feel comfortable working for, or doing business with this company.

Interview Question – Why do you want to come to New York?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Account Supervisor Interview

Account Supervisor

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Development Counselors International in June 2010.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted because I had applied for another position. The interview process consisted of multiple rounds - including an in-person interview, personality test, skills assessment/case study, and reference checks. At first it seemed impressive, as if the company places a high premium on selecting the right people to join their team. But towards the end, after hearing "Great, you're on to the next round...," multiple times, I began to become skeptical about the amount of time and manpower (from multiple account staff members) being spent on the vetting process. Particularly when DCI is a consultancy with clients to manage.

The thing that troubled me most about the interviewing process was the reference checks. DCI requires that candidates submit 12 references. I handed over these contacts with the expectation that they would be handled with care, only to find out that they were not. The contacts that I handed over were (in the words of more than one of them) "interrogated" by DCI staff about my background and personality. One of my references was actually called back a second time. I also received feedback from my references that the questions they were asked were not appropriate based on the relationship they had with me. And they also felt that some questions were inappropriately personal.

It's also to be noted that one of the rounds of the interview is a one-hour personality assessment. It occurs via phone and is conducted by an outside vendor.

Interview Question – How much time off do you take per year?   Answer Question

Worked for Development Counselors International? Contribute to the Community!