Development Dimensions International

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Development Dimensions International.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process is ridiculously long and tiresome. I was contacted by a staffing agency regarding this job opening. I had to submit a 1 page write up about my work experience which qualified me for the job I was applying for.

Thereafter, the DDI recruiter called and spoke to me for 1 hour . I was then sent 2 psychometric test which were 1 hr long each . Then the DDI recruiter called me and arranged for 2 interviews on site.

When I reached there I was also made to write 2 more psychometric test lasting 20 mins each and then I interviewed with 2 finance staff members easy for about 40 mins.

The following day after the interview, I was sent a case study which I had 10 hrs to work on.
After working on this case , I had to make a presentation to the CFO followed by lunch and interview with him.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult extremely long   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in December 2009.

Interview Details – Multiple behavioral interviews followed a half-day assessment designed to put me into a simulated environment similar to the role I was applying for. Other assessments included a personality assessment, a sales aptitude assessment, and an intelligence test.

The simulation provided a nice idea of what to expect in the job, which helped identify if this was a motivational fit for me.

Interview Question – All of the questions were behavioral (tell me about a time when...), but I had no prior sales experience, which made it difficult at times to think of relevant examples.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My requests during negotiation were received in a very friendly manner, but I found that there really was no room to negotiate - they placed me based on experience in comparison to other team members and wouldn't budge. I've since found that, based on how I perform now that I'm in-role, negotiations become marginally more available.

- Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in September 2012.

Interview Details – The human resources members were all very friendly and helpful. The screening process is lengthy, but it's good because it ensures that you are the right person for that job. Everyone answered all of my questions and were very accommodating to my schedule. By far the best and fairest interview and hiring process I've ever been through. You really get a chance to demonstrate all you know.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you missed an important detail.   Answer Question

Writer Interview

Writer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in September 2012.

Interview Details – Okay, first things first. I didn't get the job, and I am bitter. That said, I will try to keep this fact-based and exclude the explosively colorful commentary that's filling my head at the moment.

I submitted my resume and my portfolio to DDI in July, I think. I can't remember exactly, because it was so long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I know that they made first contact in August. I was given a leadership test of some sort. I'm sure you've taken something like it before. "Two of your coworkers are about to duel with steak knives from the kitchen, should you (a) tell your boss (b) find something else to cut your lunch with, or (c) listen to Neil Diamond at your cubicle?" Yeah, so pretty much 45 minutes of those questions. No biggie.

Then I had the initial phone interview. The HR lady was nice, but there were some details that she wasn't clear on. Whatever. It went well and I think she laughed at one or two of my stupid jokes. Now is probably a good time to mention that the HR people at this place are obviously understaffed and overworked. So, expect things to move sort of slowly.

Right. So, after the phone interview, I was in contact with DDI about once or twice a week all through the rest of August and through the entirety of September. I was submitted to a battery of tests. Most of them were really easy; reading comprehension, "writing simulation," etc. There was one particularly difficult test that was almost an IQ evaluation. Apparently, finding the patterns in long series of eldritch, Lovecraftian polygons is an important skill at DDI. I don't know.

Now, my background is in copywriting for advertising. I've written for all forms of media, and I've been put through situations that would drive lesser men mad. That's why the show is called Mad Men, by the way. But these people wanted to see more examples of business-to-business copywriting, which is understandable. So, on top of the tests, I took some time and wrote a white paper to spec and dug up examples of anything else that I could find.

Finally, I was given a date for an actual interview. I was scheduled to come into their office and meet with a succession of four people. They're really big on the behavioral interviewing style, so the questions would all be "Tell me about a time when you blaaahblaaahblaahh" kind of inquiries.

When I got to the interview, after spending an entire weekend trying to do some research and write down answers to theoretical questions, I was informed that one of the four people was out sick, so I'd only be meeting with three.

I read through these interview reviews beforehand, so let me tell you how scared I was for this meeting. I had a new suit, I gobbled breath mints beforehand, spent a good half-hour redoing my tie. I was ready for something like a CIA interrogation. The reality is that it wasn't so bad. The people who interviewed me were pleasant. We chit-chatted between the questions. It was a very relaxed environment. I came away from the interview thinking that it went pretty well, despite my tendency to utilize terribly lame humor when under stress.

The following monday, the 4th person called me and we did his interview over the phone. That one didn't go too badly either.

Alright! So, at this point I figured I was facing a pretty good shot at getting the job. The way I saw it, I was a great candidate. I'd spent nearly 5 years at an ad agency, where I was constantly working on multiple projects with unrealistically tight deadlines, where "feedback" usually meant "no. Do it over." or just being sworn at outright. After all that, there was simply no way that I wasn't qualified for this writing job at DDI. No. Way. Period. I could do this job, and I could do it very well.

Whelp. A week went by and I didn't hear anything. I made an inquiry to the HR lady about my application status. Like I said, she's overworked. Finally, today I heard from her.

Guess what. I didn't get the job! They decided to go with somebody else because, get this, they didn't feel that my portfolio was well-rounded enough. Yeah, that's right. My portfolio that I sent them in July. My portfolio that wasn't well-rounded enough three months ago.

I think about all of the energy I spent on getting this job, both mental and emotional. I think about all the stress I put myself through, the hours and hours of tests and steps I took to prove to them that I was worth considering. And I end up not getting the job because of something they knew about me when I applied in July. I think about all of this stuff and I feel dirty. I feel like they just made me into a dancing monkey for no good reason. I've never been put through anything like this before in my life, and I'm darn well not going to stand for it in the future.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time when you didn't meet a deadline."   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in June 2008.

Interview Details – Started with an initial phone screen. Then a 4 hour interview process, consisting of multiple one on one interviews and some tests.

Interview Question – Describe a challenging situation, at a previous job, and what steps you took to resolve it?   Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

Project Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was incredibly tedious. In order to be considered for the position initially, I had to speak with a recruiter on the phone. After recruiter approval, I was asked to come onsite to take several assessment tests. The tests consisted of a grammar test, a spelling test, a logic test, an online critical thinking test, and, lastly, an online test to evaluate your skills for specific Microsoft software, including: Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The assessments took approximately 3-4 hours to complete. The last assessment included an "in-basket." I think it is required for anyone applying for an administrative position (though to be perfectly honest, I don't believe the "Project Associate" position (the position I was applying for) included administrative duties. Who knows, though? Regardless, the "in-basket" included a bunch of fake memos and documents. As a fake admin assistant to a fake boss at a fake company, I was supposed to respond to these memos and documents. I believe the exercise was intended for you (as the admin assistant) to organize your boss' schedule, catch conflicting appointments, and prove that you could write and conduct yourself in a professional manner. This assessment took me about 4 hours to complete.

Once all assessments were completed, I was then brought in for a formal interview. I was interviewed by 3 managers, separately, for about an hour and 15 minutes each. Each interviewer asked me questions in a STAR format: s/he would ask me to talk about a series of questions and I would have to provide a specific Situation or Task, what Action I took for that situation, and lastly, what was the Result of that action. For example, the interviewer asked me to discuss a time when I worked with others as a team, or a time where I worked with a fellow co-worker and conflict arose.

Since the company focuses on talent management, I am not surprised that their interviewing process was thorough, intimidating and completely unnecessary. To this day, I honestly have no idea why I had to take so many assessments for a job that seemed tantamount to a data entry job. And though in hindsight I'm glad that I didn't get a job offer out of all of this, I think the reason why I didn't get the job is because I didn't test well. I'm not the most amazing standardized tester, and the recruiter I worked with gave me no clues as to why I didn't get the job. This is why I believe that I didn't get the job because I didn't test well.

On that note, I'd like to stress how unhelpful the recruiter was. I spoke and met with her multiple times, and she could never give me a clear explanation of what the job title was. I find that a little baffling. There were plenty of times she could have spoke with who would have been my manager for a better understanding of what the position entailed, but to this day, I have no idea if she did so. Whenever I met with her, she is always reading scribbled notes from her legal pad, clearly reading out loud a canned description of the position. That definitely made me wary.

If you are interviewing for a job there, make sure to brush up on your Word/Power Point/Excel skills, spelling and grammar, and reading/critical thinking skills (you will be tested on it). The dress code is business (women, wear a suit!), and be as formal as possible.

Interview Question – Please provide a time where you had a conflict with a fellow co-worker.   View Answer

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Bridgeville, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in August 2011.

Interview Details – This was a painfully slow and detailed interview process. From the time I submitted the application, until the time I called to prompt them to tell me if I was still being considered for the job, I put more time into interviewing than any employer had ever asked. I spent 20+ hrs over the course of 3 months. The interviews consisted of several online personality & character tests, 5 tests I needed to come into their office to take (math, word usage, Microsoft products), a HOMEWORK assignment, and a several hour phone interview.

Initially, the HR department did not understand how my current job could be related to the position they were hiring for. After several attempts of me asking them to give me more testing, they did so - big time. It turned out that the job they were hiring for was something I did all day long, and at a more intense level. It was as if I was overqualified, for lack of a better word.

DDI seems to be overstaffed. The position I applied for had been open for several months before I applied and they were in no hurry to fill it. The HR department did not seem to organize my interview process in a efficient way, and I felt strung along the entire 3 months. After completion of my last interview, the interviewer told me they were confident that I would go onto the next step (meeting the team). After not hearing back for 2 weeks, I contacted the HR department. It took them a few extra days from there to let me know that they will not be pursuing me as a candidate.

Interview Question – Discuss a time where you forgot to do something at your job.
What did you forget?
Why did you forget it?
How did you resolve it?
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Consulting Associate Interview

Consulting Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Development Dimensions International in May 2009.

Interview Details – Competency based behavioral interviewing 4-5 rounds of interviews
watson glaser assessment
writing sample
in basket
role plays
analysis exercise

i thought i was applying to for knox, the cia or the fbi ;-)

Interview Question – tell me about a time when you...over and over and over again and believe me, you won't get away with hypotheticals   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – hahahahhah ok......

Very Difficult Interview

Client Manager Interview

Client Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Development Dimensions International.

Interview Details – Screening tests, interviews, assessments

Interview Question – Tell me about the worst decision you have made   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales

Interviewed at Development Dimensions International

Interview Details – DDI uses a great behavioral-based interview system. Come prepared to share examples of how you've achieved success in your past jobs and take time ahead of the interview to match those examples up with common behaviors needed on the job - customer service, iniative, integrity, etc.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Development Dimensions International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Development Dimensions International interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Development Dimensions International employees and interview candidates.