Devon Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Human Resources Advisor
Bridgeport, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Devon Energy in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a phone call 2 weeks later. We scheduled a phone screen with the recruiter which was a generic screening call asking about why do I want to leave, current salary, background check, etc. Nothing special... this call only lasted 20 minutes or so. I was told that I would get another call in a week to let me know about next steps.

I received a call 2 weeks later and was invited to attend an interview with 6 people for 30 minutes each. This interviewed happened at their headquarters in OKC.

First impression as I walked into the building was very impressive with your typical good looking and young girl at the front desk. She was polite , professional and gave me a good impression of the company.

My first interview was not an interview at all. She said from the beginning that she had no questions to ask and to just ask her any questions I may have. Luckily, I had a list of questions and that took care of it. I was surprised that she really had NO questions for me. Odd. Then, the second interviewer came in and she was the best interviewer of all of them. She asked great questions such as: "How do you see the future of HR". She asked questions that actually would help determine if the candidate can be a good hire or not.

The third interview was fine, he seemed to ask questions on the fly (which most of them did). One thing that bothered me was that he asked me "where are you from"?. That's not a good question to ask a minority. He was interested throughout my 30 minutes with him.

Then came the duo of HR Generalists who seemed unprepared and also asked questions on the fly. Nothing special here. Finally, I got the hiring manager. That's where everything collapsed for me. From the beginning I could tell she was not interested in me. It almost seemed as if this was the first time that she saw my resume. Right away as we sat down she mentioned that she was having "one of those days" and that she had been on meetings back to back all morning... not a good sign for me. She started with a question about giving her an example of when I worked with management. I explained a case and she kept asking follow up questions for the next 10 minutes. She made me feel as if my answer was not good as she said: "why didn't you think about doing something different". It felt as if she was questioning my decision telling me I could have done more. She finally moved on and asked me an odd question about how did I transitioned from an entry level recruiter job to a HR Consultant position. This came across as like how did I get such a jump in my career which she found hard to believe. Again,she asked more follow up questions about my manager at this job and how was I able to manage this role since "I was inexperienced". I knew right there and then that she didn't like me. She also made a mention that "I should stay with my current employer and stick it out". I personally didn't like her at all and I can see why nobody has been hired for the job 4 months after it was posted.

Overall, the interviewers seemed unprepared as they mostly asked questions on the fly. Nobody took notes of my interviews and this seemed more than anything a "do we like this person" interview more than "can this person get the job done or is this person the best candidate". No behavioral questions at all were asked. I never received a follow up call to let me know of my status.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Devon Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Devon Energy Human Resources Advisor interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Devon Energy employees and interview candidates.