Dex One Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.7

Digital Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dex One (Maple Grove, MN) in December 2011.

Interview

Recruiter call, 2 days later 1:1 interview with the Digital Sales Manager, who hasn't updated her LinkedIn profile since her last position with a different company, then 1:1 interview with a print advertising manager. After meeting with both and being qualified for the position, I received a template email that I was no longer being considered as a candidate. After speaking with a current employee, I learned that Dex, at one time, had the entire building filled with employees but now occupies only the top floor. Being that the position came down to me and one other candidate, I expected the common courtesy of a phone call as to why I was no longer being considered. By the way, they just reposted the exact same position again.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a business owner yelling at you to get our of their business?   1 Answer

Premise Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dex One (Lone Tree, CO) in November 2011.

Interview

Well, my interviewer greeted me in the lobby of their building and I was taken up to the 3rd floor to a really nice meeting room. At that point they began asking strategical yet traditional sales interview questions. Describe a time when x happened and how did you handle it type things. It probably only lasted 30 min.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you failed in a sales situation and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

NA

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I interviewed at Dex One (Lone Tree, CO) in October 2011.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter and went through a preliminary phone interview. Once that was done, I was asked to come in for a face-to-face interview. Went through the basic interview questions/background review with the department manager. Was contacted the next day to come back for a video conference with the regional manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe your worst assignment and what you did to improve your results.   Answer Question

Digital Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dex One (Fort Myers, FL) in September 2011.

Interview

Phone interview was with someone they use for their recruiting (Accolo) asked typical questions then set up the next step.Typical interview going thru formatted "company" mandated interview questions the director didn't even want to ask. The training manager was very pressing to ask questions that were difficult to answer, or more to prove a superior knowledge which was a bit off putting but tolerable. The background check is extremely tight so make sure you aren't missing any information.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you have the skills to work for Dex One?   Answer Question

They neglect to tell you this is a "Union" sales job. You have to sign 3 disclosures, a non compete which is very overbearing for 12 months, a non disclosure, and worst of all a "Intellectual Property" clause. So basically if you invent something, start a company, come up with a patent, or anyone in your immediate family should ex:wife or child they claim "intellectual rights" to it. Had an attorney look at it and they said it was fairly air tight so be prepared they own you from competing for 12 months, own you from talking about them or their products forever, and own your ideas for life. Sorry, didn't know slavery was legal in the US.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dex One (Las Vegas, NV) in July 2011.

Interview

Dex One - I went to a job fair at a Casino, and there was a recruiter there who was looking for account executives for Dex One. I thought they were yellow page ads only. But found out differently. I went on an interview about 8 days later at the Vegas headquarters and answered questions before three people. They wanted to make sure I would like this, so they asked me to come and travel with a sales rep. I did, And I was convinced this is a good company - I did do a lot of research and discovered the new CEO who was making changes. His top 10 initiatives have number one as "Having a world class sales force". That was enough for me.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle defeat in sales?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No advice. You work hard, you make lots of money. Period.

Marketing Consultant - Telephone Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dex One (Lone Tree, CO) in June 2011.

Interview

I was initially interviewed by a third party HR rep who asked me general interview questions to see my ability in sales. After I passed that, I was called by a local Dex HR rep for an interview. I was interviewed by my future manager (which I did not know at the time) and she began to ask me scenario questions (i.e. Tell me a time when...). Then I waited about two weeks to hear word on whether or not I was hired. Their third party HR background check company did an extensive check (i.e. Criminal, Credit, Employment) to see if I was legit. After that was passed, I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• Mainly scenario like questions. Watch out for those because either they will make or break you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They initially told me I would make $19,900 base salary + commission. Benefits were included with Health, Dental, 401k and 20 days paid vacation and holidays. The salary was low but I accepted it because I was unemployed and needed something at the time. Then I made $50,500 in 2012 with a salary of $21,000 + commissions.

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dex One (Overland Park, KS) in June 2011.

Interview

The interview is pretty decent. Typical interview questions like: Why do you want to work for this company? What makes you stand out? But be sure to listen very closely about the position you are interviewing for and ask questions about the position and duties. This is where they get people... Also you have to go through a tough background check, drug testing and credit check once offered a position.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing too difficult or unexpected. It was a very typical interview.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant -Telephone Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dex One (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Long but not overly difficult. Very scripted. Getting in touch with the right people held the biggest challenge and there seemed to be somewhat of a disconnect. First contact was a phone interview screening. followed by a face to face with a manager. Wrapping up with a meeting with a director. Nothing special really the usual interview guide was used for the entire process with little if any deviation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate as the salary was fixed per union contract.

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dex One (Overland Park, KS) in March 2011.

Interview

Professionally dressed staff and remodeling work was going on throughout the newly inhabited building. This feels like a true full on sales position. Only rather than earning your pay by 100% commissions or close to it. They are offering a solid base pay, moderately enhanced by hitting the expected target numbers. Plus the incentive to perform above the set goals and be compensated accordingly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you did not achieve a goal and how you dealt with the failure?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The questions were direct and well chosen for this type of job interview. I felt well-prepared and glad to have been so after the interview. The negotiation was simply an official offer was presented and I was to chose to accept the offer or decline.

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dex One (Overland Park, KS) in March 2011.

Interview

It was a very rigorous process and they were very particular. I think the application process was a bit long but I appreciate the time they are taking to figure out who to hire and making sure it is the right fit for the company. I feel that I worked hard during the process and was rewarded with the offer. This process takes time so be patient and look around for other jobs just in case it doesn't work out.

Interview Questions

• What was one time that you failed to reach a goal and how did you improve to better reach that goal?   Answer Question