Dex One

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Premise Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dex One.

Interview Details – The recruitment process was fairly detailed but went quickly and smoothly. The interview process was also timely and appropriate questions were asked. The interview was kept to sales related questions and situations. Be prepared to be asked to role play and "sell" yourself during the interview

Interview Question – A script was given and asked to be played out with the hiring manager   Answer Question

Mesa, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dex One in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview is scheduled through a third party which made the entire process much more complicated than it should have been. It was not confirmed that I had cleared the background check till the day before I was scheduled to fly out of state for the month long training.

Interview Question – How do you expect to compete with other candidates that have 5-7 years more sales experience?   Answer Question

Lone Tree, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dex One in November 2011.

Interview Details – Well, my interviewer greeted me in the lobby of their building and I was taken up to the 3rd floor to a really nice meeting room. At that point they began asking strategical yet traditional sales interview questions. Describe a time when x happened and how did you handle it type things. It probably only lasted 30 min.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you failed in a sales situation and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NA

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dex One in November 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview and personality test. Then and in person interview with a human resources recruiting manager. After that an interview with the sales director. Then Job offer with background check and drug test.

Interview Question – What makes you think you will be good at prospecting new business?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was absolutely no negotiation allowed since it is a collectively bargained for position in a sales union.

Premise Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dex One in April 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an outside recruiter about the position. They scheduled 1:1 interview with a hiring manager that lasted about an hour. He went through me resume and asked some basic questions about my educational background and professional experience. For about a week there was some back and forth conversation between myself, the recruiter, and the hiring manager. After that time the hiring manager called me and offered me the position. After that I had to complete the paperwork for the background investigation, and take a drug test. Once past they set you up for training (3 - 4 weeks out of town).

Interview Question – Can you tell me a time when you had to sell some consultatively?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation.

Premise Sales

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dex One in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was typical with a response from my online resume. The interviewer and I spoke several times. I was then asked to take an online assessment which evaluated math, language, reasoning, and personality traits. I was not provided answers to the assessment but called for an face-to-face interview. I was told the interview would be stressful but I didn't consider it as such although the interviewer was not considered cordial and in some cases rude. The income was not as I was told and left the interview shortly thereafter with no further contact.

Interview Question – why would you want to work such a stressful job?   View Answer

Premise Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dex One in July 2010.

Interview Details – I received an invitation to a phone interview about 3 weeks after submitting my resume. I was told to expect an hour long conversation, but it lasted close to 2hrs. I enjoyed it, and felt that it really mattered who I was and where I'd been. I've had quite a few jobs in my career trail, and the recruiter seemed to view that history as a positive--a wide range of experience in various industries and with various people. At that time Dex had internal recruiters, but not any more, so I don't know what that initial part of the interview process looks like these days.
My second interview was with a rookie sales trainer, and took about an hour. (The email setting up this interview took about a week longer than I'd been told by the recruiter. Know that things move slowly here sometimes.) I was given an idea of the job, and asked a number of behavioral questions, as well as basic questions about my background. Then I was taken upstairs to meet a couple of folks in the organization. When I left, I was told that they would be setting up an interview with the office Director for the following week.

Again, this interview took longer to schedule than I'd been told to expect. The director spent about 30 minutes with me, asking similar questions to the one the first in-person interviewer had. At the end of the interview he told me that he wanted to hire me. It took another week or so for the offer to actually come through.

Dex uses contracted services for its background checks. It takes a long time, and caused some anxiety, as I wasn't cleared for employment until just a couple days before the training classes started. As long as you don't have any weird criminal stuff in your background though, all should be well. Outside sales people need to have a fairly decent driving record, of course, as you must be insurable.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you had a hard time getting along with a manager.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is a union company. All of sales is represented by them, so salary and commission rates are negotiated for you...there is really no discussion.
Frankly, I would not recommend this as a place to work. The training is phenomenal. 4 weeks of hard learning, great fun, lots of bonding with classmates, nice hotel stay, and a hilarious, bright trainer. Throughout training for for about 6 weeks afterward, you're on a nice guaranteed salary of $1K/week.

It's a great place to learn about sales and start a career, but that's about all I can say. Training is a lot better than the actuality of the job, unfortunately.

Premise Sales

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dex One in July 2010.

Interview Details – Began with a 1 hour scheduled phone interview that turned out to be 2 hours. Interviewer was very engaged in the process. The recruiter position has since been eliminated, so I'm not certain how extensive the phone screening is now. A couple weeks later, I went for a 1:1 interview. It lasted about an hour, and felt that it gave me a good overview of the everyday life of a rep in the field. About a week later, I met for another interview with the Director for about 30 minutes. At the end of the interview, I was basically told that I was going to be receiving an offer. After an extensive background check, I was given the green light, and began 30 days of paid training, then was off and running.

Interview Question – You come from a competitive sales arena. How do you handle fighting over clients?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing was negotiable. This is a bargained-for position. You will receive a set base, transition pay, standard commission structure, and 4 weeks of vacation during your first year of employment.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dex One

Worked for Dex One? Contribute to the Community!

Dex One – Why Work for Us?

About Us Your growth is our mission We care about small business success. It’s why we provide smart, searchable advertising, free marketing consultations, and expert online resources—all designed to help local… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dex One Premise Sales interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dex One employees and interview candidates.