Dick Blick

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick Blick

Sales Associate Interview

I dropped my application off and was asked to come in about a week later. The interview was quick and I was asked the typical questions of why I wanted to work there etc. Overall, it was positive and I received a call with offer a couple days after interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Dick Blick.

The questions were very basic. Where do you see yourself? Why choose Blick? What kind of art education do you have? Do you have customer service experience? Can you stand on your feet for long periods of time? Can you carry 30lbs?

Interview Questions
    They offered a pay rate and asked when I could come into work

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dick Blick in March 2014.

Initial phone call, which was fairly informal. This was followed by a sit down interview with the DM. Your typical manager type questions were asked. Third interview was with RM and DM.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really surprising it felt like I was interviewing them.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick Blick.

1 interview, background check.

No room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dick Blick.

The interview was weird. One of the staff members was walking me to the back of the store and told me not to be afraid of the hiring manager because "She's just like that." The manager also brought me into Panera's (next door) for an interview.....which was loud and uncomfortable. After the interview she told me to email her a week later. I did; no response for a few days. I called twice and left a message over the next few days and just never heard back. I also drove more than 2 hours for the interview and she knew that (don't live in Boston in the summer). I thought it was very inconsiderate that she couldn't take the time to write a sentence via email telling me I didn't get the job. It's not that she's slow at replying to emails, because when we were emailing each other before my interview she responded almost the day of or the day after. I was honestly baffled because I had 2 years of experience working in another art store known for its astounding customer service, am a major in the fine arts, and have a clean record save for a speeding ticket. Who knows.

Interview Questions
    • None really. It's only super difficult if you don't have any background in art.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick Blick in August 2013.

one interview went well.

Interview Questions
    they just told me what the job entailed I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick Blick in January 2013.

Very laid back interview, hiring manager was even wearing jeans. Asked about previous work experience and if you have any arts and crafts experience.

Interview Questions
    • What what the worst part about working at your last job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick Blick in May 2012.

easy informal sit down meeting with managers, asked about previous experience with art materials and retail experience. it was very very very low key and not difficult at all. they will take anyone who isnt vastly incapable

Interview Questions
    • "Are you sure you want this job, it pays minimum wage can you accept that?"   View Answer
    no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick Blick in June 2011.

Blicks interview was supposed to be a group interview but two other people canceled. The interview was very relaxed and allowed you to shine. The workers there are very outgoing. They perfer the workers to be artist since you'll be helping other artist that enter the store. Havinng retail experience and art school background was a MAJOR plus.

Sales Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dick Blick in August 2010.

Interview was conducted by the General Manager. I was called promptly after submitting my job application. GM was friendly and interview was basic. Nothing too crazy, typical job interview.

Not a lot of negotiation. I gave my suggested hourly rate and that is what I received.