Dick's Sporting Goods

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Murrieta, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2014.

Interview Details – Got right in at time assigned for interview. After applying online, called to speak with manager and set up an interview that way. Only took 2 days for her to make a decision that was for another person.

Interview Question – What sports do you participate in?   View Answer

Paramus, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Had to take a test online which was about integrity. Really simple

Interview Question – Name a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Newnan, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I applied online after being referred by an anonymous source. They were looking to fill immediate hire positions. I put my resume on the Dick's Sporting Goods site and applied to the Administrative Assistant position and the Apparel Sales Associate position.

They called me a week later to schedule an interview for the next day. The representative I spoke to didn’t know which position I was applying for so I prepared to interview for both the Sales Associate and Administrative position.

When I got there, I was called into the interviewer’s (Store Manager) office. She asked me what positions I applied for and gave me some papers to fill out.

The first and fourth page of info on the papers consisted of questions like;

“Describe a time where you had to deal with an emotional/angry person. How did you handle it?”

“Describe a time when you had to convince someone to trust you. What was the result?”

"Describe a time you gave or received great costumer service. What made it great?”

Underneath each question there was a list that said “situation, action, and result”. They wanted you to answer each question using that template. Describe the situation. What actions did you take? What was the result of your actions?

The second and third page asked you to describe a sport/activity you participate in. Then it asks questions about when/how you got started in that sport/activity, what have you learned from participating in that sport/activity, and describe a time you have used your expertise in that sport/activity to help someone improve their performance/make a purchase.

When I went in for my interview, the interviewer asked about my Admin experience and what my computer skills are. They want you to be proficient in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Payroll. They are willing to train you to operate the Payroll software.

Those were the only two question I was asked in the interview.

After the interview, I took a personality test.

That was the end of the interview process.

I got a call two days later and they asked me about my organizational experience and to describe a time I missed a deadline. This question was also on the sheet they had us fill out before the interview.

They offered me the job during this call.

Interview Question – I was asked how early I was willing to arrive and leave the store.

I knew the opening and closing times of the store so I just said I was willing to come in hour early before opening and if I came in later, I was willing to stay until close.

We had a brief misunderstanding and I didn't know how early or late I was supposed to be available. I was told some team members arrive at the store as early as 4am.

We ended up settling on a time closer to opening.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a recent grad, I asked for 9 dollars an hour for a part time position. They offered me 9.50 an hour.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Concord, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the assistant store manager and then was interviewed by the old store manager. They were highly impressed with my resume and offered me a better position and higher starting pay than what I went to interview for.

Interview Question – What are some of your organizational skills   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation and it was a take it or leave it offer that I had 3 days to decide on.

Administrative Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from the recruiter and his assistant. They were both very polite and pleasant to speak to. They provided very pertinent information about the company and job, and answered all of my questions. Once done, they explained what would happen next, keeping me informed. All in all, a very good interview.

Interview Question – What exactly do you do for your employer?   View Answer

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!