Dick's Sporting Goods Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Highland, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Highland, IN) in June 2015.

Interview

They conducted two interviews with me. Both were the EXACT same questions but with different people. The interview was easy and very casual. I didn't feel nervous or intimidated.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you gave or received excellent customer service   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Casper, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Casper, WY) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was simple, and focused on the Sporting Goods aspect of the store. That's how they make their money, which is great, but they didn't ask any questions about my skillset or knowledge in administration. I could have been hired and known absolutely nothing about the job I was being hired to do.

Interview Questions

• This interview didn't have much in the line of tough questions. The hardest question they asked was "how have you helped someone gain confidence in a sports situation" and generally asking questions about my athletic background. This was all very simple, it just forced me to try and remember things from my high school sports career.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told them what I was expected to be paid and the manager told me they could not pay that in a retail environment. I lowered my standards of pay but accepted the position. They seemed to know what they wanted to pay me before I got there and would not budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Denver, CO) in July 2014.

Interview

Online app was quick, first interview with assistant manager, second interview with GM. Asked a lot of the same questions twice. Asked questions that didn't relate to the position. Took forever to get called in for orientation. They often call people in for interviews when they don't have the hours to use for training, so you'll be waiting 2-4 weeks before you actually start working.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you didn't give excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Murrieta, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Murrieta, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Got right in at time assigned for interview. After applying online, called to speak with manager and set up an interview that way. Only took 2 days for her to make a decision that was for another person.

Interview Questions

• What sports do you participate in?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Denver, CO) in March 2014.

Interview

Standard retail hiring process: complete online application, pass personality test, pass screening interview, and two one-on-one interviews with supervisors. Interviews consist of standard questions relevant to sales and customer service. Background checks are required for certain positions. You have to be at least 18 to apply for any position or you will instantly be kicked out of the system.

Interview Questions

• What sport or activity are you passionate about?   1 Answer

Negotiation

For a store position, you're basically stuck with the offer they give you, which won't be much. Only attempt serious negotiation if you have been offered full-time and you have considerable relevant experience. Management is pretty much locked in to paying employees preset rates. To negotiate for more requires appealing to their superiors which usually doesn't go over well. If you're just trying to get a part-time job, most managers will just pass you over and hire the next person if you push for higher compensation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

Had to take a test online which was about integrity. Really simple

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newnan, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Newnan, GA).

Interview

I applied online after being referred by an anonymous source. They were looking to fill immediate hire positions. I put my resume on the Dick's Sporting Goods site and applied to the Administrative Assistant position and the Apparel Sales Associate position.

They called me a week later to schedule an interview for the next day. The representative I spoke to didn’t know which position I was applying for so I prepared to interview for both the Sales Associate and Administrative position.

When I got there, I was called into the interviewer’s (Store Manager) office. She asked me what positions I applied for and gave me some papers to fill out.

The first and fourth page of info on the papers consisted of questions like;

“Describe a time where you had to deal with an emotional/angry person. How did you handle it?”

“Describe a time when you had to convince someone to trust you. What was the result?”

"Describe a time you gave or received great costumer service. What made it great?”

Underneath each question there was a list that said “situation, action, and result”. They wanted you to answer each question using that template. Describe the situation. What actions did you take? What was the result of your actions?

The second and third page asked you to describe a sport/activity you participate in. Then it asks questions about when/how you got started in that sport/activity, what have you learned from participating in that sport/activity, and describe a time you have used your expertise in that sport/activity to help someone improve their performance/make a purchase.

When I went in for my interview, the interviewer asked about my Admin experience and what my computer skills are. They want you to be proficient in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Payroll. They are willing to train you to operate the Payroll software.

Those were the only two question I was asked in the interview.

After the interview, I took a personality test.

That was the end of the interview process.

I got a call two days later and they asked me about my organizational experience and to describe a time I missed a deadline. This question was also on the sheet they had us fill out before the interview.

They offered me the job during this call.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how early I was willing to arrive and leave the store.

I knew the opening and closing times of the store so I just said I was willing to come in hour early before opening and if I came in later, I was willing to stay until close.

We had a brief misunderstanding and I didn't know how early or late I was supposed to be available. I was told some team members arrive at the store as early as 4am.

We ended up settling on a time closer to opening.

Answer Question

Negotiation

As a recent grad, I asked for 9 dollars an hour for a part time position. They offered me 9.50 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Concord, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Concord, NC) in September 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with the assistant store manager and then was interviewed by the old store manager. They were highly impressed with my resume and offered me a better position and higher starting pay than what I went to interview for.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your organizational skills   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiation and it was a take it or leave it offer that I had 3 days to decide on.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call from the recruiter and his assistant. They were both very polite and pleasant to speak to. They provided very pertinent information about the company and job, and answered all of my questions. Once done, they explained what would happen next, keeping me informed. All in all, a very good interview.

Interview Questions

• What exactly do you do for your employer?   1 Answer