Dick's Sporting Goods Apparel Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2015

1.6

Apparel Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was at 11am and the manager who did my interview made me wait 15 minutes before she came to get me.

Then asked me the same questions over and over but with different wording. Had second interview same day with the store manager who was super nice. Overall the interviews seemed promising for a great job - but after my first week I found myself hating this job more than anything else and going home crying because of the lack of training and communication.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Apparel Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online almost a year ago and received a phone call for an interview last Tuesday for this week Monday. Arrived on time and had a hard time finding someone who could direct me to the hiring manager. Was told to wait in the employee break room and waited for about 10 minutes before the store manager came and got me. He was pretty laid back and did brief interview of about 10 minutes, then I was asked to do an opinion survey. From there, I was told I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your technique or skill in selling baseball products?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since it's a part-time job.

Application

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call for an interview 7 months after. Went to the interview and had a hard time finding someone who could direct me to the hiring manager. Was told to wait in the employee break room and then the store manager came and got me after 10 minutes. The store manager was very laidback and brief. Explained the job and then conducted a brief interview of about 10 questions. He then asked me to do an opinion survey which was about 55 questions. After I did the survey, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since it's a part time job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Albany, NY).

Interview

Basically asked you why you were applying for the position, what was minimally expected of you and what the position basically entailed. They did not go into much detail of the position and what was required of you as an apparel associate.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what sports I was into and while that doesn't seem like an unexpected question working for a sporting goods retailer I was a little thrown. I was there interviewing for a part time job while going to school,not an in on how to get a discount on my favorite sports equipment.   Answer Question

Apparel Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Be passionate about sports and talk about teamwork. It is just like any other standard interview. Have retail experience. You're surrounded by athletes so express how much you love athletics

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Jacksonville, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online on a Saturday and got the call on Monday to come in for an interview on Wednesday. I first interviewed with the apparel manager, and the interview was very laid back. He asked about my experience, what my favorite sport was and if I played any, and then asked me some situational questions. It was over in maybe 30 minutes, and it felt very comfortable and natural. At the end he had my take an honesty test which I passed and then he set me up with an interview for the next day with the store manager. He was a little more serious but the interview still felt pretty laid back since he kept getting questions asked at him left and right from everyone in the company. He first went over how big the store was, how many products they sold and what he was looking for in his new hires. Then he "quizzed" me (just a question or two) about my sport, volleyball, asking me what the popular brands were for that sport and what the latest and greatest things were happening in that particular sport. Then he asked me more behavioral questions, and next thing I knew he was calling back the apparel manager and he was saying I got the job!

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, all situational, just be honest! And be especially honest about if you've played any sports. They'll ask you detailed questions about them!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Minimum wage here is 7.93 which is horrible, but because I have 4 years of experience I was able to get it to 8.50 which still isn't great but better than minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Surprise, AZ) in April 2014.

Interview

I was left a voice mail asking to interview by a previous soft lines manager of the store. I called back and set up the interview for later that day. When i arrived i did not have to wait for Lauren, instead we immediately headed back to the office and began the interview. She asked me questions about my last job, what i liked, disliked, how i would handle an angry customer, a lazy employee, the regular stuff. She then went into detail about the position and even drew out pictures of what the fixtures used in store looked like and their names. After, i immediately interviewed with the store manager Dave. His questions were exactly the same as Lauren's. I was offered the job on the spot and agreed to a starting salary of 8.50 per hour. Although later that month i was given a 15 cent raise.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult part of working in a retail business?   1 Answer

Negotiation

"How does 8.50 sound?"
    "Great."

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Birmingham, AL) in March 2014.

Interview

You interview with a soft lines or hardliners manager and then if they like you they pass you off for a 2nd interview with the store manager. Once you meet with the store manager he offers a position and then you set up a date to come in to fill out paper work and start training.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2013.

Interview

one interview with your projected manager, where you are told everything you want to hear just to get you to be willing to take the job. If you apply for full time expect to be hired part time with a promise that the first full time position in the department will be yours…Second interview with another manager who asks ridiculous questions like "In a sports setting how are you a leader" I still have no idea how this relates to being a good employee selling apparel or shoes but this how Dicks interviews

Interview Questions

• How were you a leader in a sport that you played? or When did you take an initiative on a team that you play/played on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I told them I could only work there for a certain amount of money per hour…they told me it had to take 48 hours to be approved by corporate then 6 hours later I got a call saying everything was approved and I needed to come in to take a test to see if I wasn't a sociopath.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Columbus, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

Very simple and straight to the point. They did not ask me any trivial questions about the company, other than why did I want to be apart of it. The manager who interviewed me was very nice.

Interview Questions

• How has being on a team benefited you as a person ?   1 Answer