Dick's Sporting Goods

Getting the Interview

26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – Applied online, they called me a few weeks later asking if i had time for an interview. Went in the next week and the interview was very casual asking basic retail questions and experience. Was hired that day

Interview Question – No difficult questions or curveballs   Answer Question

Minnetonka, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initially, they called me and left a message. I called back, and scheduled an interview for later in the week. Arrived 10 minutes early, and was taken to a meeting room with the front end/loss prevention manager. He asked three questions off the first sheet of questions, and skipped the second sheet and asked several on the third sheet. I have lots of retail experience, so the questions were mostly easy. Interview lasted 20 minutes.

Interview Question – First question was about a difficult customer and what I did to resolve their issue. I chose a situation I had involving a customer in conflict with a previous employer's policy, and explained what I did to explain the policy and resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – What you put on the application is likely what you'll get as pay, as long as it's reasonable for your experience. I got $.25 more than what I asked for. Biggest negotiation is availability.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick, they needed to hire quickly. Do not know if that did a background check, but I would assume so. Asked if you played sports and which all you now play or did play.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you had to help a customer choose between two products.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation except for hours,they are very nice about making sure you can work your scheduled hours,

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in May 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was fairly easy and straightforward - they ask you why you want to work there, definitely talk about passion. Be prepared to actually talk about sports/equipment because they do want you trying to sell/push products so seem as passionate as possible. A few generic questions about customer service and handling difficulties in the work place. "Personality" survey pretty much about punctuality, drug (marijuana) use, integrity. Just use common sense. I had a second interview with the general manager which was also pretty laid back and simple. He wanted to talk about "me" and me in the position I was applying for. As long as you seem upstanding and into sports you should be golden.

Interview Question – They asked about a product I ever recommended to another person related to my sports interests (hockey & running) so just think of a simple answer about why you suggested that product to a teammate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, I think I made 8/hr

Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in April 2010.

Interview Details – applied online and interviewed in person on location of the store. The interview focused its attention on the comfort-ability of being able to sign people up for loyalty cards.

Interview Question – was asked about some sports related questions and even some current event questions about sports and their current players   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in July 2013.

Interview Details – I arrived at the store 10 minutes early. Began my interview with the first manager, did an "opinion" survey, then I interviewed with another manager (strangely he asked me the same questions the other manager did). After the interviews, I was told I'd get a call as soon as tomorrow. Sure enough I received a call the day after and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Most were pretty self explanatory and easy questions.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called about a week later for an interview. Take the time to dress nice and don't come in sports apparel. Arrived a little early for the interview and it went well. The questions were all pretty basic, nothing caught me off guard.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – usually a 2 interview process over a two week period

Interview Question – when they ask you to give examples of situations   Answer Question

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – I got called in for an interview within a few days after applying. The interview was with the front end department manager. Dress well! But it was super easy. It really was not an interview. I came in, he talked about why it is great to work for Dick's Sporting Goods. He gave me a call a week later to offer the job.

Interview Question – There really were not any questions. If you have a passion for sports, then you fit within the company.   Answer Question

Huntsville, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call about a week later about an interview. Ended up being a group interview but it was very relaxed. After the interview we took a test on the computer. Got a call a few days later to interview with the manager in charge of the cashiers. It went GREAT! He was very nice. Then he told me if he likes me I'll go to a third and final interview with the store manager. Got a call a couple days later for the final interview. I was told they'd be making decisions the next week, but I haven't gotten a call. Sooo.... yeah. Moving on!

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods Cashier interview questions and advice. All 26 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees and interview candidates.