Dick's Sporting Goods Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Was a 2 step interview .. First one was with department manager then store manger.. was easy ... Still waiting to hear back from them after second interview had interview on Friday today is Tuesday.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

It was mostly about my love of sports, my interest in selling sports gear and apparel, and why I thought I would be a good fit. Definitely pretty easy. They asked me to give an example of a time when I told a teammate about a product and convinced them to buy that product.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

Probably one of the more basic interviews I have ever had. Put in a room with the 2 store leads. Past that it was very short and then I took a test on a computer (very short) and it was basically a hire or not hire test. I would say the overall time it took was no more than 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The first question was "Whats your favorite sport?" They moved onto questions about my customer service background and a big question was "Explain a situation you had with a customer where you had to resolve an issue."   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in July 2015.

Interview

I received a call one week after applying online. It was a two part interview and you take a survey online in-between the two. Easy and laid back interview with typical customer service based questions. Helps if you are interested in sports, but it doesn't matter. They want someone who can work in a fast paced environment while dealing with customers. I was offered the job at the end of the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you exceeded expectations at a job.   Answer Question
    • Have you had experience with difficult customers and how did you respond to them?   Answer Question
    • What is a main job of a cashier?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you have encouraged someone to try a new sport or activity.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Loveland, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Loveland, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Got a call the next week for an interview. When I first got there, I took a survey that was about 10 minutes long and asked many questions about stealing and drug usage. After that, I had an interview with the cashier department manager, who asked me to come back and talk with the store manager the next day. I had a short interview with the store manager, and got a call later that day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you were faced with a difficult customer? What did you do and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What sport are you passionate about?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you filled a leadership role and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Oak Brook, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was easy...went through a total of 2 interviews and was offered the job at the end of the second one. I actually got offered the cashier job in addition to a job as a tennis sales associate, and I had had no prior retail experience...only customer service experience. They are really looking for people who are confident and have a passion for sports. Starting salary he offered me was $9.50 an hour.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you encouraged somebody. When have you delt with a difficult customer? What do you think the hardest part about working the cashier position would be? Name a time you failed to complete a project at work or school. How do you gain somebody's trust? Favorite sport and why? When have you gone above and beyond for a customer? What would you do in an uncomfortable situation with a customer? Describe previous work experience.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2015.

Interview

Put in an application online and called next day... was told the application won't hit the system until day 3. Called on day 3 and was told to come in for an interview. Did so and had 2 -1:1 interviews. One with store manager other with front end manager. Was hired on the spot. Started orientation 3 days later.

Application

Interview

Was referred to the company by state unemployment got an email setting a time and place for interview. The interview was at a hotel conference center and there were about 10 to 15 people waiting to get interviewed. The first interview was with the softlines manager which was a prepared interview were he read questions typed up by HR about customer service and why you want the job, and after him i went to take an online test on the hotel computers. After a few minutes the same manager and the admin assistant read my results and told me to wait and that is when the store manager called me over to go over the position and to see if i was comfortable up selling credit cards and warranties. During that phase he made me read the employment agreement which says the position, wage and whether its full time and part time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation, take it or leave it. Wages are set by corporate on a scale by position.

Application

Interview

I applied online and was able to setup a date to interview. I show up at the hotel where the interview was taking place. I spoke with the hardline manager, then was asked to wait outside. I was later brought back in to speak with the store manager. I was hired right on the spot because they needed cashiers for their new store opening. I also dress and demonstrated maturity and professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The store manager said that he can start me off at $8.00. I asked him if he can go higher. He shook his head and said no. I didn't pressure much because I really needed a job at the time. I later found out that other cashier got a start out pay at $8.50. I should have pressed harder. I recommend telling and reminding them how much experience you have.

Anonymous Employee in Victor, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Victor, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Easy questions, asked about scenarios that could arise with customer service and how you'd handle them; 1 on 1 interview in back office; semi relaxed; met with supervisor, not the store manager

Interview Questions

• If customer A wanted one thing but all you had was a similar product, what would you do?   Answer Question