Dick's Sporting Goods Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. It was my first interview out of school and it is still the hardest phone interview I have had until this day. It consisted of about 25 intense behavorial interview questions, "Tell me about a time when".. "When was a time you went above and beyond". It also had a mix of the standard questions, "Why do you want to work for Dick's?" . At the end of the interview the recruiter was very adamant and firm when asking "What questions do you have for me". It was very intimidating for my first interview, but I definitely learned a lot.

Interview Questions

• "Besides a school group project, when was a time that you went above and beyond in a group setting?"   1 Answer

Cashier/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Dulles, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

Had a bad experience. Took me 3 years just to get an interview. I won't work here if they paid me large sums of money. The recruiter was rude, the interview place was in a storage room, wasn't very professional. Was asked questions and most of them didn't make sense. They rejected most of my applications, by the 50th one, they finally extended an interview.

Sales Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laguna Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Laguna Hills, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

There are 2 interviews and a ethics survey. Employees pass the survey and interview with a sales and then the store manager

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to respond to an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northern, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Northern, KY) in June 2013.

Interview

Had three interviews and was flown to Charlotte, NC. It was about a 6 week process

Interview Questions

• Being asked a question about their Profit and Loss Statements and knowing what each category was from years of experience but was expected to know their lingo in order to communicate with the higher ups.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (DFW, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online for Apparel Sales Associate. They called the next day for an interview. When I got there they made me do a computer assessment. Then the interview... They asked me what sports I've played. I told him that I haven't really participated in sports, that I was just a fan. They asked random questions, that may or may not have been job related. But, the questions mostly had to do with sports. Which was expected, but for the position I applied for it seemed a little excessive. They said they were looking for someone to work cash register, for which I had no experience. He then told me he had other interviews and that he couldn't tell me if I had the job or not. That it depended on the qualifications of the other interviewees. I received a generic email a few days later,

"Thank you for your interest in possible employment with D. Sporting Goods. It was a pleasure talking with you and discussing opportunities with our company.

At this time, we are considering other candidates whose backgrounds and skills more closely match our needs. We will, however, retain your information. If an opportunity presents itself in the future,
    we may contact you at that time. Once again, thank you for your interest in D. Sporting Goods.

Sincerely,

D. Sporting Goods"

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2012.

Interview

Signed up through University's job posting and company's website. 1st Round consisted of 2 30 minute interviews, one strictly behavioral based and the other more about character/fit with company. Received email within 2 days that I did not move onto the 2nd Round, which was scheduled for the following week. If you interview early on in the process, you may not hear back as early. Very friendly and enthusiastic employees and would definitely interview for positions with company in the future.

Interview Questions

• Name a goal you set for yourself and the steps you took to accomplish it.   Answer Question

Merchandising Training Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

I submitted my resume and was contacted by e-mail shortly after. I had a 30 minute interview with a recruiter. After that I was invited to interview with 2 associates who had completed the training program. The last round of interviews was a Site Visit where many potential trainees were given tours and interviewed with two different managers. 5 interviews total at 3 different times.

Interview Questions

• What skills have you developed in past positions that you believe will translate well in to a retail environment?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Bloomington, IN) in February 2013.

Interview

Started with a recruiter phone interview of 90 minutes, then a local District Manager interview of an hour. After that the candidate interviews with each of the 3 critical regional staff members, RVP, HP and LP. Also included are two "walks" of an existing store to demonstrate your knowledge of merchandising standards. This last part is critical because after two months of interviews not performing well on the walk cost me the job. The job has been re-posted now after 3 months, so they are patient and thorough.

Interview Questions

• Very vague store walk where the candidate must critique the merchandising of the store without the benefit of knowing what the company standards are. I would recommend doing this walk on your own before hand with a friend and practice a path you will take the manager on and what you will discuss.   Answer Question

Field Management Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2009.

Interview

An initial informal face to face was held followed by a phone interview and then a formal 1:1 interview. It was an excellent, full and in depth situational interview. The interviewer was highly skilled and professional. The company is very focused in what it looks for in skill sets and specifically how you drive top line sales.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach getting a poor performing location up to speed?   1 Answer

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in December 2008.

Interview

It took several months after applying for me to hear from Dicks. When they finally called, we scheduled a phone interview with one of the recruiters where they asked me about my base salary requirements and experience. I then was invited into the corporate office for an intense afternoon of interviews. I believe that I interviewed with 12 different people (2 in each 30 min time slot - 6 time slots total). An offer was made the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were very hard to negotiate with. I was only able to get my salary raised 1K and was not able to gain additional vacation time.