Dick's Sporting Goods Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

2.2

Merchandising Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. It was my first interview out of school and it is still the hardest phone interview I have had until this day. It consisted of about 25 intense behavorial interview questions, "Tell me about a time when".. "When was a time you went above and beyond". It also had a mix of the standard questions, "Why do you want to work for Dick's?" . At the end of the interview the recruiter was very adamant and firm when asking "What questions do you have for me". It was very intimidating for my first interview, but I definitely learned a lot.

Interview Questions

• "Besides a school group project, when was a time that you went above and beyond in a group setting?"   1 Answer

Cashier/Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Dulles, VA) in October 2013.

Interview

Had a bad experience. Took me 3 years just to get an interview. I won't work here if they paid me large sums of money. The recruiter was rude, the interview place was in a storage room, wasn't very professional. Was asked questions and most of them didn't make sense. They rejected most of my applications, by the 50th one, they finally extended an interview.

Footwear Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in August 2015.

Interview

Nice and casual interview, was looking for a fun part time job, and be around and talk about sneakers. Very down to earth and it seemed like a sure thing. Think again.

Footwear Lead Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Asked questions about what would i do scenarios and sports questions .experience a plus in shoes. I knew knowledge in all athletic shoes and had worked for a prior sports store so they like me a lot.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was unhappy with service!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hired on the spot. Got paid what I asked on app starting 9.50 hr.

Lodge Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Augusta, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Augusta, ME) in September 2013.

Interview

1st interview went great, scheduled me for a second interview the next week, and the person who was supposed to do the interview wasn't available and they rescheduled me for the next week and sent me home. The 3rd time they somehow lost all my info and had me take a pre-employment test with "what would you do " questions. They said when they found my paperwork they would call me back, they never did. Great store but the way it was run seemed very unorganized.

Interview Questions

• A man and his kid want to start hunting whitetail deer and need to be outfitted with the proper gear. What do recommend do them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Bloomington, IN) in February 2013.

Interview

Started with a recruiter phone interview of 90 minutes, then a local District Manager interview of an hour. After that the candidate interviews with each of the 3 critical regional staff members, RVP, HP and LP. Also included are two "walks" of an existing store to demonstrate your knowledge of merchandising standards. This last part is critical because after two months of interviews not performing well on the walk cost me the job. The job has been re-posted now after 3 months, so they are patient and thorough.

Interview Questions

• Very vague store walk where the candidate must critique the merchandising of the store without the benefit of knowing what the company standards are. I would recommend doing this walk on your own before hand with a friend and practice a path you will take the manager on and what you will discuss.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northern, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Northern, KY) in June 2013.

Interview

Had three interviews and was flown to Charlotte, NC. It was about a 6 week process

Interview Questions

• Being asked a question about their Profit and Loss Statements and knowing what each category was from years of experience but was expected to know their lingo in order to communicate with the higher ups.   Answer Question

Sales Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laguna Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Laguna Hills, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

There are 2 interviews and a ethics survey. Employees pass the survey and interview with a sales and then the store manager

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to respond to an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Fremont, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

5 step process consisting of recruiter, DM, RVP loss prevention, RVP HR, RVP operations. Phone interviews were very in depth, covering challenges, multiple weaknesses and how you can overcome them.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a decision you made that didn't work, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn Pitt, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Penn Pitt, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

Interactive interview with a panel of Upper management. You interview with Loss Prevention, Human Resources, District Managers (several) and Regional Managers. There was a store tour, a sit down with human resources, a sit down with multiple district managers, and a sit down with the regional manager going over business reviews.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if we gave a store to you right now?   Answer Question