Dick's Sporting Goods Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.2

Interviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Will call and perform a phone screen, set up an initial interview, have any position that will be using a register (which is about every store associate) take a sterling review. If the interview and sterling are a proceed then you will be called back for a second interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• What sports do you play? customer service experience? prior positions? what sports have you played? How did you handle a negative customer experience?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Two parts. Interview with assistant manager and follow up with the real manager. Both people were extremely friendly and did a good job of describing the position(which was really simple)

Apparel Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online almost a year ago and received a phone call for an interview last Tuesday for this week Monday. Arrived on time and had a hard time finding someone who could direct me to the hiring manager. Was told to wait in the employee break room and waited for about 10 minutes before the store manager came and got me. He was pretty laid back and did brief interview of about 10 minutes, then I was asked to do an opinion survey. From there, I was told I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your technique or skill in selling baseball products?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since it's a part-time job.

Apparel Associate Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call for an interview 7 months after. Went to the interview and had a hard time finding someone who could direct me to the hiring manager. Was told to wait in the employee break room and then the store manager came and got me after 10 minutes. The store manager was very laidback and brief. Explained the job and then conducted a brief interview of about 10 questions. He then asked me to do an opinion survey which was about 55 questions. After I did the survey, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate since it's a part time job.

Merchandising Training Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from a recruiter within a week or two. A week later I skyped with a recruiters. Following the Skype interview, I was invited to Skype with two other DSG employees in the merchandising department. I was then invited to the corporate headquarters in Pittsburg, PA with other candidates. The first day we had a presentation on the program, were given a great tour of Pittsburgh, and then taken to a nice Italian dinner. The following day we each had two interviews, lunch, and a campus tour. Everyone was extremely inviting, and the recruiters were great and really organized.

Footwear Lead Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Asked questions about what would i do scenarios and sports questions .experience a plus in shoes. I knew knowledge in all athletic shoes and had worked for a prior sports store so they like me a lot.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was unhappy with service!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Hired on the spot. Got paid what I asked on app starting 9.50 hr.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Very, very simple, basis knowledge of the sports industry and if you are able to adhere to all he company policies. Was asked to drive in to tell me I received the job, Even though a phone call would have been just fine. All in all, it is very easy to get a job here if you have any retail experience at all.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

The application is online and straightforward. I was called by the softlines manager a few days later and brought in for an interview. I interviewed with the store manager and the hardlines manager, but not the softlines manager. This confused me, but I learned that you are basically a number to fill a gap. Maybe at first you are thought to be in apparel but then they decide they need you in team sports. It is all quite arbitrary. Anyway, I then took a short quiz on basic business ethics and was told to just hang out for a few minutes as the hardlines manager and store manager discussed. I was offered the job and told they would contact me soon with details. The store manager called the next to discuss wages and inform me of when I should come in for my first day of work and training.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions are very simple, pre-prepared by the corporate offices   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not make it seem like a negotiation. They offered me pay and I said "yes". You can haggle with they a bit. I would say aim for $9.00/hr if you are going to be in apparel or footwear. Those departments are constantly busy and usually understaffed.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Was referred to the company by state unemployment got an email setting a time and place for interview. The interview was at a hotel conference center and there were about 10 to 15 people waiting to get interviewed. The first interview was with the softlines manager which was a prepared interview were he read questions typed up by HR about customer service and why you want the job, and after him i went to take an online test on the hotel computers. After a few minutes the same manager and the admin assistant read my results and told me to wait and that is when the store manager called me over to go over the position and to see if i was comfortable up selling credit cards and warranties. During that phase he made me read the employment agreement which says the position, wage and whether its full time and part time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation, take it or leave it. Wages are set by corporate on a scale by position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

I had a total of 3 interviews for a sales associate position. I was not really sure what to think of the hiring process at first, but once I was hired everything went smooth.

Interview Questions

• How come only the "bigger" stores get release products?   1 Answer