Dick's Sporting Goods

Very Easy Interview

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Retail Sales Associate
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2013.

Interview Details – They call to set up interview. You interview with two managers on two different occasions. Afterwards they let you know if you got the job or not. Questions are pre-made from the corporate level.

Interview Question – Have a large accomplishment you completed at a previous job ready.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy and very understanding

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Very basic interview, list your strengths your weaknesses. Then tell them a good story about how you resolved an issue in the workplace. The interviewer was very laid back and seemed to hint that I already had the position upon showing up.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this position?   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – 3 interviews; 1 with the recruiter, 1 with the DM, and 1 with the RVP (included a meeting with loss prevention and HR). The total hiring process took a little more than 4 weeks and the interviews were not difficult.

Interview Question – Situation based questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a higher salary and had my answer in less than 24 hours

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2014.

Interview Details – Went through a two part interview. First I interviewed with the a department manager. He was great and had a positive energy to the interview. Most of the interview was full of basic standard non specific interview questions. They just read the questions from a standard form. Completely robotic process. After the first interview i had to interview with the store manager... who had to leave early the day of my interview so i had to reschedule and come in a second time. The day before my second interview i was called to reschedule because the store manager was now unavailable a second time. This time i was given 4 days over the next month that the manager was available. When i finally did make it in to the interview the store manager came off as the most arrogant self centered person in the world. They jumped through the same basic questions and then basically told me since i didn't have full availability that this was a waste of time and ended the interview. The first interviewer told me that what i had for availability was no problem and would be more than reasonable. Glad to see there is communication between managers...

After the first interview i was thinking I'd want to work in the store but after 2 minutes of the second I don't even want to shop in the store again. UNBELIEVABLE!

Interview Question – Nothing challenging just questions designed to make you think on your feet about a past experience. Completely unoriginal.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Interview

Ecommerce
Coraopolis, PA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was a contractor for 6 months and then interviewed for the permanent position. he interviews consisted of a panel, which included the HR Recruiter, the supervisor and a coworker. From interview to offer it took almost 3 months. Be sure to follow up and ask for timing and updates.

Interview Question – Recruiter was stone faced and not very informative. Would have preferred someone more sociable and welcoming.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered more than what I asked for

Fort Myers, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by phone to set up an in person interview. After arriving 15 minutes early for my interview I had to wait another 45 minutes for the manager to show up. When the interview finally began he asked me questions as if it were an extreme inconvenience for him. I do not recall one time that he looked me in the eye and he even ridiculed me for wearing a suit to the interview. The end of the interview was a session in front of a computer to answer personality questions. The manager left me in the room alone saying after I finished that I could go and he would be in touch. After 3 months I gave up on hearing from them about the job (yes, that is sarcasm). But it is reasonable to think I would have at least gotten a letter saying I was no longer considered for the job.

Interview Question – Why did you wear a suit to this interview?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Norcross, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was comical, the store manager appeared disengaged and gave me the impression he would rather be doing something else with his life. Never asked more than a couple of questions then asked when can you start.

Interview Question – When can you start, will you accept this salary.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told what they could offer and if that was acceptable.

Cashier/CES Interview

Cashier/CES

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call back the next day. The process was a little unprofessional due to the fact the store manager forgot I had an interview that day and ended up rescheduling me. But it was during holiday season so I was not too mad.

Interview Question – Situation questions such as explain a time you had a disagreement with a supervisor and how did you handle it.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Cashier
DFW, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for Apparel Sales Associate. They called the next day for an interview. When I got there they made me do a computer assessment. Then the interview... They asked me what sports I've played. I told him that I haven't really participated in sports, that I was just a fan. They asked random questions, that may or may not have been job related. But, the questions mostly had to do with sports. Which was expected, but for the position I applied for it seemed a little excessive. They said they were looking for someone to work cash register, for which I had no experience. He then told me he had other interviews and that he couldn't tell me if I had the job or not. That it depended on the qualifications of the other interviewees. I received a generic email a few days later,

"Thank you for your interest in possible employment with D. Sporting Goods. It was a pleasure talking with you and discussing opportunities with our company.

At this time, we are considering other candidates whose backgrounds and skills more closely match our needs. We will, however, retain your information. If an opportunity presents itself in the future,
we may contact you at that time. Once again, thank you for your interest in D. Sporting Goods.

Sincerely,

D. Sporting Goods"

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

Apparel Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Many questions about what you would do in certain situations especially "team" situations. How you have inspired someone in the past and how you would transfer those lessons over to the work place. There are many questions asked which feel like you have to give the same answer.