Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods
- Sales Associate (79)
- Cashier (49)
- Footwear Sales Associate (20)
- Apparel Associate (19)
- Store Manager (14)
- Sales Associate/Cashier (12)
- Merchandising Training Program (11)
- Lodge Sales Associate (11)
- Administrative Assistant (10)
- Customer Service Specialist (10)
- Sales Manager (9)
- Retail Sales Associate (8)
- Cashier/Customer Service (6)
- Associate (6)
- Sales Support Manager (5)
- Bike Technician (5)
- Footwear Sales (5)
- Footwear Associate (4)
- Golf Associate (4)
- Assistant Store Manager (4)
- Intern (3)
- Hardlines Manager (3)
- Running Specialist (3)
- Team Sports Sales Associate (3)
- Team Sports Associate (3)
- Certified Fitness Trainer (3)
- General Sports Sales Manager (2)
- Fitness Associate (2)
- Customer Engagement Specialist (2)
- Lodge Associate (2)
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Utica, MI).
I applied online and received a call about a week later to come in for an interview. The interview was very straight forward and basic interview questions were asked such as strengths and weakness. There were a few situational questions asked as well. Two days after the interview I got a call saying I got the job. I began training that week.
- Describe a situation where you faced a challenge and how did you overcome it? Answer Question
Helpful (11)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Staten Island, NY) in May 2015.
The interview went fairly smooth. The process took about 2 weeks. I applied online, and 2 weeks later, I got called in for an interview. The managers were very nice and welcoming. I had an interview with the soft lines manager, and then the general manager. He hired me on the spot.
- What's your favorite sport and why? Answer Question
- Tell me about a time where you went above and beyond for a customer. Answer Question
- Tell me about a time where you had to encourage someone at work or at school. Answer Question
- Why do you want to work for This company? Answer Question
- Tell me about a time where you had a difficult customer, how did you deal with it? Answer Question
Helpful (1)No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2015.
The process was the worst I have experienced job hunting. I applied in March and just heard back from this place. Those interviewing had no idea what job I applied for. I had and still have no idea either as the job I originally applied for was filled back in March. All behavioral questions and questions about sports as its a sporting goods store.
Helpful (1)No OfferNegative ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2015.
Was contacted regarding a Senior Space Planner role I applied for. Had a standard getting to know you call with HR. Followed up with a phone interview with the hiring manager which last 5 minutes with no questions asked about my qualifications - entire discussion was about her cousin and that she happened to go to the same college I graduated from. Surprisingly, I was flown out for an interview (all the logistics of this were well-handled) costing me a few days of work. Half hour interview each with HR and 2 hiring managers of two different departments. Upon arriving, was wondering if I was interested in other jobs at the company other than the one I applied for. None of the interviewers had read my resume beforehand and asked random questions about jobs I held 15 years ago. I had heard really good things about this company but I would not have accepted even if offered. Corporate campus is beautiful and feels like a health-club/resort. However, I would just make sure that you know that the job you are interviewing for is the same one you applied for and that you do a better job of setting expectations, especially if you are traveling.
- Tell me about yourself? Walk me through your resume? Name a strength and weakness? What do you do at your job? (Very basic questions) Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Loveland, CO) in June 2015.
I applied online. Got a call the next week for an interview. When I first got there, I took a survey that was about 10 minutes long and asked many questions about stealing and drug usage. After that, I had an interview with the cashier department manager, who asked me to come back and talk with the store manager the next day. I had a short interview with the store manager, and got a call later that day offering me the job.
- No OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Highland, IN) in June 2015.
They conducted two interviews with me. Both were the EXACT same questions but with different people. The interview was easy and very casual. I didn't feel nervous or intimidated.
- Name a time you gave or received excellent customer service Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Topeka, KS) in June 2015.
Apply online, then follow up with a visit so that they can put a face to a name. The interview was very laid-back when it finally got scheduled, but I did have to follow up to get to an interview appointment. My suggestion is to go back a few times, talking to the manager of your area and the store manager. Catch them when they are out on the floor, if possible, and get the name of the person in charge of the area you're applying for.
- They asked me to tell them about a bad experience I have had as a costsumer. 1 Answer
I'd look on Glassdoor at the info on pay and be prepared with the info that you understood x position made x number an hour. They'll probably say not in their particular market but it's worth a shot.
Helpful (4)No OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Fremont, CA) in May 2015.
5 step process consisting of recruiter, DM, RVP loss prevention, RVP HR, RVP operations. Phone interviews were very in depth, covering challenges, multiple weaknesses and how you can overcome them.
- Give me an example of a decision you made that didn't work, and how did you overcome it? Answer Question
- Declined OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.
The interview was the usual. Went through two interviews and they both were pretty similar. They basically asked about customer service and when did i experience difficult customers. One of the managers that interviewed me was not as professional because of the way he exhibited his body posture. His feet were up on his desk while he was listening to me talk.
- What did you do when you experience difficult customers. Why are you interested. Answer Question
Helpful (2)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Oak Brook, IL) in May 2015.
The interview process was easy...went through a total of 2 interviews and was offered the job at the end of the second one. I actually got offered the cashier job in addition to a job as a tennis sales associate, and I had had no prior retail experience...only customer service experience. They are really looking for people who are confident and have a passion for sports. Starting salary he offered me was $9.50 an hour.
- Name a time you encouraged somebody. When have you delt with a difficult customer? What do you think the hardest part about working the cashier position would be? Name a time you failed to complete a project at work or school. How do you gain somebody's trust? Favorite sport and why? When have you gone above and beyond for a customer? What would you do in an uncomfortable situation with a customer? Describe previous work experience. Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review