Dick's Sporting Goods Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.2

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Very, very simple, basis knowledge of the sports industry and if you are able to adhere to all he company policies. Was asked to drive in to tell me I received the job, Even though a phone call would have been just fine. All in all, it is very easy to get a job here if you have any retail experience at all.

Team Sports Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

The application is online and straightforward. I was called by the softlines manager a few days later and brought in for an interview. I interviewed with the store manager and the hardlines manager, but not the softlines manager. This confused me, but I learned that you are basically a number to fill a gap. Maybe at first you are thought to be in apparel but then they decide they need you in team sports. It is all quite arbitrary. Anyway, I then took a short quiz on basic business ethics and was told to just hang out for a few minutes as the hardlines manager and store manager discussed. I was offered the job and told they would contact me soon with details. The store manager called the next to discuss wages and inform me of when I should come in for my first day of work and training.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions are very simple, pre-prepared by the corporate offices   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not make it seem like a negotiation. They offered me pay and I said "yes". You can haggle with they a bit. I would say aim for $9.00/hr if you are going to be in apparel or footwear. Those departments are constantly busy and usually understaffed.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

Was referred to the company by state unemployment got an email setting a time and place for interview. The interview was at a hotel conference center and there were about 10 to 15 people waiting to get interviewed. The first interview was with the softlines manager which was a prepared interview were he read questions typed up by HR about customer service and why you want the job, and after him i went to take an online test on the hotel computers. After a few minutes the same manager and the admin assistant read my results and told me to wait and that is when the store manager called me over to go over the position and to see if i was comfortable up selling credit cards and warranties. During that phase he made me read the employment agreement which says the position, wage and whether its full time and part time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation, take it or leave it. Wages are set by corporate on a scale by position.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

I had a total of 3 interviews for a sales associate position. I was not really sure what to think of the hiring process at first, but once I was hired everything went smooth.

Interview Questions

• How come only the "bigger" stores get release products?   1 Answer

Hardliners Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shreveport, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Shreveport, LA) in January 2015.

Interview

The whole thing took like a month and a half. Interviewed with store manager, district LP, and district manager. Did training in the store I applied for. Very long pricess.

Interview Questions

• I do not recall specific questions just a lot of experience questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Regional Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Atlanta, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

Called by corporate Recruiter in PA. Questions similar to what is your background? Behavioral questions. Fairly easy questions and then spoke with Direct manager on the phone and was eventually called into for a personal interview. After waiting for 20 minutes I was brought in to discuss with direct supervisor. Conversation went well,however I was brought into speaking with 2 operations managers and knew from the second they looked at me I was not the candidate they were looking for. Not sure if it was race,gender,age,etc.May have been I was dressed very well and didn't look like I would fit into a casual workplace. I was brought into a large conference room where one of the Operations managers sat 6 chairs away from me and the second manager. Was very awkward and unprofessional. Questions were read off of a HR corporate template. No casual conversation very robotic. Knew from the first look that I was not going to get hired, nor would I have wanted to be. Not very polished interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult situation   1 Answer

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in January 2015.

Interview

Walk in the building and have to find an employee who works in the building in order to find the manager. Manager is sometimes helping at the registers or helping customers. Once the manager head towards your direction, he then greets you and smiles (shakes hand). You walk with the manager towards the "do not enter, employees only" door and head towards the office where the computers and walkee's are located. He tells you to please sit down and you do so. The manager then asks questions and writes them down while listening. This may take 10-15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you had to help a unsatisfied customer and how did you resolve the situation. This was asked twice during my second interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate a better salary, even though I've worked retail/sales for 3 years, but so far everyone is great.

Design Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in January 2015.

Interview

Asked my salary expectations and never got back to me. Would be nice if they gave the courtesy of a reply after giving them a very personal piece of information (salary), even if just to say that is out of our range.

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

It was a good interview I think Matt was my boss good guy we had alot in common both were former athletes adn went to the same school we talked about that, where he lived and went with the company. Not to hard of a interview.

Footware Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

I had 3 interviews in 1 day, and was basically hired that same day. I was interviewed by the Hardlines Mgr, then the Softlines Mgr and finally the Store Mgr.

Negotiation

N/A