Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated Dec 5, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

The hiring process took about 2 weeks. I was contacted about 4-5 days after submitting an application online to ask some basic questions and set up an in-person interview. I met with the soft lines manager for the first interview. It was a pretty standard, straight forward interview and was a very casual/non-intimidating atmosphere. After the interview, she had me take a computer test to check my competency as a person and potential employee. This took about 15-20 minutes. I was contacted 3 days after my first interview to come in the following Monday (3 days after I received the call). The second interview was basically the same as the first interview except I met with the store manager. I was contacted later the same day notifying me that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • Just a lot of basic interview questions, plus a few questions about favorite sports etc.   Answer Question
    There was very little negotiating as I was offered a salary towards the upper end of what they would normally offer someone for that position.

Apparel Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Be passionate about sports and talk about teamwork. It is just like any other standard interview. Have retail experience. You're surrounded by athletes so express how much you love athletics

Sales Associate Interview

The process was relatively straightforward as far as a job in being a sales associate goes. I applied at a store. A few days later I talked to a manager at the store. Then I just had to deal with one person in HR.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about experience I had in being a salesperson, of which I did not have much.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview process was simple, fast, and easy. Standard questions such as work conflicts that I've had and how I handled them, what I believe is good customer service etc. I had one interview and was hired by the store manager. I filled out all my paperwork and started two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a conflict with a supervisor? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Customer-Service Sales Associate Interview

got a call about two days after i submit an application. went in to speak to the front end manager then store manager got basic questions about sports knowledge and if i was an athlete.

ECommerce Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Applied on LinkedIn. Got a call from the recruiter about two weeks later. We discussed my interest in the position and talked about the organization a DSG. Then scheduled a phone interview with the Director of eCommerce two weeks later. During that interview she just asked to describe my background. She was essentially trying to see if my past experiences would be a fit for the role at DSG. One week later we scheduled an in-person interview with 5 team members at the Headquarters in Pittsburgh. The interview was about 3 hours long and met with project managers and the director again. No questions were too hard . Basically quizzed you on how you would go about managing many stakeholders on projects along with general IT management questions. The next day after the in-person interview I got a call saying they wanted me to talk to the VP in eCommerce next week over the phone. The following week, I spoke to the VP and it was more of just a conversation. She wanted to see what questions I may have had and introduce herself to me. Four days later I got a call from the recruiter with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was too difficult, they just ask about your background.   Answer Question
    The offer was beyond fair, so I did not negotiate

Senior Architect E-commerce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

I applied through a recruiter on-line who initially contacted me. The Recruiter arranged a phone interview first with HR who later arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process took about a week before my phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions really. The hiring manager was very inexperienced not only as manager but also as an interviewer. I asked some basic questions about what the E-commerce project entailed that he couldn't answer. He said they had been working on it already for a whole year, yet there was no specification, no requirements document, or even a project plan. This baffled me. How do you architect an e-commerce system from the ground-up when nobody has even determined what the requirements needed to be? I didn't care to continue interviewing with this company.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

The interview was very laid back. It was a two step interview process. The first one with the manager of the department your applying for and the second one with the store manager.

Footwear Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Asked about sports and if I played any and what my favorite teams were. Since this is my first job they hired me as a cashier. They also want know if you've done any other activities other than just playing sports and if you have it really sticks out to them.

Interview Questions
    • What was my favorite WNBA player and what college did she go to?   View Answer
    Ask about the work environment

General Sports Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Interviewed for a new store opening. The interview was nothing out of the ordinary. General first interview questions such as tell me about yourself and tell me about a time where you provided great customer service. This particular interview was weird for the reason that it was so laid back. We discussed my hobbies and possibilities for different positions. I spoke with briefly with another interviewer in charge of the bike department and discussed bike related activities and repair questions. After returning to my initial interviewer we finished the required questions. We ended up having a few laughs and swatted some pesky flies that were around. Kinda surreal.

After I finished the interview, I completed a questionnaire was told to wait in the lobby. I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes before my interviewer came asked me to come back. I honestly thought they forgot about me because I was the only one in the huge lobby for a while.

They then introduced me to my second interviewer who I believe to be in charge of the new store. He asked only four questions and discussed the way of the store. He was a cool guy. We had a few laughs as well after he asked for my interests and hobbies. We casually talked how working at Dicks would be like and how to be a model employee.

After explaining he asked if I would like work for him.

I was also offered to be cross-trained for the bike department. I accepted immediately.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Minimum wage job.