Dick's Sporting Goods

218 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Lead Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview was very sports related. Asking about participation in sports and if you lived the sports lifestyle. They want employees to reflect the brand.

Interview Question – How did you overcome defeat in a team sport situation when it was clear a team mate lost the game for you.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in November 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick, they needed to hire quickly. Do not know if that did a background check, but I would assume so. Asked if you played sports and which all you now play or did play.

Interview Question – Tell me a time you had to help a customer choose between two products.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation except for hours,they are very nice about making sure you can work your scheduled hours,

Footwear Sales Associate Interview

Footwear Sales Associate
Greensburg, PA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in August 2012.

Interview Details – Was called for an interview about one week after applying online. Brought into the store for an initial interview with the Manager of Footwear/Apparel. Was then brought in for a second interview with the Store Manager. Both interviews were relatively easy.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer and how you settled the dispute.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Team Sports Associate Interview

Team Sports Associate
South Portland, ME

I applied online - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in August 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was typical. I filled out the online application and got a call back from an assistant store manager within a few weeks. I had three interviews, one with an assistant store manager two more with a store manager.

Interview Question – All the questions asked were typical for any customer service or retail position.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in May 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was fairly easy and straightforward - they ask you why you want to work there, definitely talk about passion. Be prepared to actually talk about sports/equipment because they do want you trying to sell/push products so seem as passionate as possible. A few generic questions about customer service and handling difficulties in the work place. "Personality" survey pretty much about punctuality, drug (marijuana) use, integrity. Just use common sense. I had a second interview with the general manager which was also pretty laid back and simple. He wanted to talk about "me" and me in the position I was applying for. As long as you seem upstanding and into sports you should be golden.

Interview Question – They asked about a product I ever recommended to another person related to my sports interests (hockey & running) so just think of a simple answer about why you suggested that product to a teammate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, I think I made 8/hr

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2012.

Interview Details – Not much of the "tell me about a time when....". It is more of a "what is your background" or "have you worked with ____ before?". Straight and to the point. There is an aptitude test too that asks a lot of personality questions

Interview Question – They ask what you are comfortable asking a customer. Are you willing to make them sign up for a rewards card and get them interested in the Credit Card as well.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not a lot to negotiate.

Cashier/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Customer Service
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was asked to come in for an interview the next week. They were misleading about giving me a job. When I applied I was in the middle of holiday season, which if your religion requires you to take lots of days off at random times of the year I don't recommend applying when you need to take off more time than usual. A week after the interview, after sending thank you notes and following up, I got an email saying that I did not get the job, but that they would keep my application on file.

Interview Question – The situational questions were hard. Make sure you think before answering.   View Answer

Golf Associate Interview

Golf Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Applied for a job on the Dick's Sporting Goods career site and got a call back 1 week later for an interview. After that I interviewed with a store manager 6 days later and was offered the job.

Interview questions were relatively simple and dealt with customer service and past experiences in retail. They also ask you some questions relating to the sport/department you are applying for.

"Name a time you went above and beyond to help a customer"

"Name a time you received great customer service yourself"

"What are some current trends in golf equipment or apparel"

Interview Question – Probably the question about a time when I got good customer service only because I tend to remember the bad experiences rather than the good ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Store manager told me he could offer me a certain amount. No negotiation.

Corporate Headquarters - Merchandising Interview

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – I'm a very qualified merchandising candidate who's applied online for over a year. I have not been able to get a call back for an interview. Very difficult to get through the on line applicant system and recruiters.

Interview Question – I have a very successful retail backround with experience in planning, buying and product development. I've been applying to open positions at Dick's for over a year and can't get a call back for an interview. Very difficult to get someone to talk to.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Usually they will go ahead with an in person interview and set it up when they call you. The application is online so it will be the first time you have talked to someone in person most likely. The big part about the interview is to just be nice and understand how to deal with customers and tasks. There is sometimes a second interview, but to be honest if they are looking to hire, it is because they need someone sooner rather than later. They will probably be set on hiring you after the first interview unless you give them a reason why they should not contact you again. Just give good availability for your work schedule and you are almost guaranteed to be hired.

Interview Question – Has there ever been a time where you were given a deadline to finish a task and you could not complete it?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods