Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.2

Customer-Service Sales Associate Interview

got a call about two days after i submit an application. went in to speak to the front end manager then store manager got basic questions about sports knowledge and if i was an athlete.

ECommerce Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Applied on LinkedIn. Got a call from the recruiter about two weeks later. We discussed my interest in the position and talked about the organization a DSG. Then scheduled a phone interview with the Director of eCommerce two weeks later. During that interview she just asked to describe my background. She was essentially trying to see if my past experiences would be a fit for the role at DSG. One week later we scheduled an in-person interview with 5 team members at the Headquarters in Pittsburgh. The interview was about 3 hours long and met with project managers and the director again. No questions were too hard . Basically quizzed you on how you would go about managing many stakeholders on projects along with general IT management questions. The next day after the in-person interview I got a call saying they wanted me to talk to the VP in eCommerce next week over the phone. The following week, I spoke to the VP and it was more of just a conversation. She wanted to see what questions I may have had and introduce herself to me. Four days later I got a call from the recruiter with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was too difficult, they just ask about your background.   Answer Question
    The offer was beyond fair, so I did not negotiate

Senior Architect E-commerce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

I applied through a recruiter on-line who initially contacted me. The Recruiter arranged a phone interview first with HR who later arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process took about a week before my phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions really. The hiring manager was very inexperienced not only as manager but also as an interviewer. I asked some basic questions about what the E-commerce project entailed that he couldn't answer. He said they had been working on it already for a whole year, yet there was no specification, no requirements document, or even a project plan. This baffled me. How do you architect an e-commerce system from the ground-up when nobody has even determined what the requirements needed to be? I didn't care to continue interviewing with this company.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

The interview was very laid back. It was a two step interview process. The first one with the manager of the department your applying for and the second one with the store manager.

Footwear Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Asked about sports and if I played any and what my favorite teams were. Since this is my first job they hired me as a cashier. They also want know if you've done any other activities other than just playing sports and if you have it really sticks out to them.

Interview Questions
    • What was my favorite WNBA player and what college did she go to?   View Answer
    Ask about the work environment

General Sports Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Interviewed for a new store opening. The interview was nothing out of the ordinary. General first interview questions such as tell me about yourself and tell me about a time where you provided great customer service. This particular interview was weird for the reason that it was so laid back. We discussed my hobbies and possibilities for different positions. I spoke with briefly with another interviewer in charge of the bike department and discussed bike related activities and repair questions. After returning to my initial interviewer we finished the required questions. We ended up having a few laughs and swatted some pesky flies that were around. Kinda surreal.

After I finished the interview, I completed a questionnaire was told to wait in the lobby. I ended up waiting almost 15 minutes before my interviewer came asked me to come back. I honestly thought they forgot about me because I was the only one in the huge lobby for a while.

They then introduced me to my second interviewer who I believe to be in charge of the new store. He asked only four questions and discussed the way of the store. He was a cool guy. We had a few laughs as well after he asked for my interests and hobbies. We casually talked how working at Dicks would be like and how to be a model employee.

After explaining he asked if I would like work for him.

I was also offered to be cross-trained for the bike department. I accepted immediately.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Minimum wage job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

Standard customer service questions, just be cheerful and act as though you are passionate about whatever product type you are interested in. However, whatever they tell you about be able to move up the chain to better jobs levels and/or pay - they are lying through their teeth. NO full time jobs, the work is physically hard (depending on your area). Eventually you wind up doing all the work in your area by yourself without thanks. It IS fun to work with your fellow employees, but management will eventually treat you like slave labor. BTW - no visible tats or multiple piercings or wild color hair. Sorry kids, time to grow up and join the business world.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really surprising. Probably describe the best/worse customer service event.   View Answer
    High education will get you a better pay base but then once you start, they cut your hours. No real negotiation. I actually stood to leave when they offered me the original pay but they eventually increased it a little.

General Sports Sales Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

one interview after a phone call, a general discussion on work history, many questions about experience in customer service, discussion about the expectations of the job, about an hour long meeting

Footwear Sales Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Had the first interview with the footwear manager, it was a friendly and conversational style interview where they wanted to get a sense of who I was, my interest in sports, and about my customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you showed exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Bench Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in August 2014.

The process took 8 weeks with an interview with the Corporate Recruiter, then a face to face with the DSM with a store walk through. Two more phone interviews with the Regional HR and LP Managers, and finally was flown to meet with the RVP.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were based around what my experience was and situational results based questions   Answer Question