Dick's Sporting Goods
www.dickssportinggoods.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Dick's Sporting Goods Merchandising Training Program Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Feb 24, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – On campus interview followed by an on site interview a few weeks after.

Interview Question – How do you keep up with current events?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2012.

Interview Details – First round campus interview and second round on-site interviews. Professional attire required. Recruiters and interviewers were very friendly. Questions a mix of standard and situational, no case questions. Pittsburgh tour, dinner, and office tour provided. Compared to other companies recruiting students, their interview process was very organised.

Non-competitive interview process--they are hiring a lot of people. Quality of applicants and of current employees is mixed at best. It seems they are not looking for very smart or dedicated folks--just those who can fit in. Diversity is severely lacking. Salary is low.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2013.

Interview Details – Made contact at a career fair and submitted resume through University Career Center. Selected for an on campus interview the following week. The first round consisted of 2 45-minute behavioral interviews.

The next week I was invited for an onsite interview in Pittsburgh, PA. The first day was dinner/tour of the city, and the second day was an overview of the company and 2 more 45-minute interviews. The interviews were with Buyers and were very similar to the first round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to make a decision quickly and what was the result?   Answer Question
  • What is the most recent thing that you have read about Dick's Sporting Goods in the news?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2012.

Interview Details – Signed up through University's job posting and company's website. 1st Round consisted of 2 30 minute interviews, one strictly behavioral based and the other more about character/fit with company. Received email within 2 days that I did not move onto the 2nd Round, which was scheduled for the following week. If you interview early on in the process, you may not hear back as early. Very friendly and enthusiastic employees and would definitely interview for positions with company in the future.

Interview Question – Name a goal you set for yourself and the steps you took to accomplish it.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter. It was my first interview out of school and it is still the hardest phone interview I have had until this day. It consisted of about 25 intense behavorial interview questions, "Tell me about a time when".. "When was a time you went above and beyond". It also had a mix of the standard questions, "Why do you want to work for Dick's?" . At the end of the interview the recruiter was very adamant and firm when asking "What questions do you have for me". It was very intimidating for my first interview, but I definitely learned a lot.

Interview Question – "Besides a school group project, when was a time that you went above and beyond in a group setting?"   View Answer

Merchandising Training Program

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and was contacted by e-mail shortly after. I had a 30 minute interview with a recruiter. After that I was invited to interview with 2 associates who had completed the training program. The last round of interviews was a Site Visit where many potential trainees were given tours and interviewed with two different managers. 5 interviews total at 3 different times.

Interview Question – What skills have you developed in past positions that you believe will translate well in to a retail environment?   Answer Question

Merchandising Training Program

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – The people who work at the company are very casual and make you feel comfortable. However, you must know a lot about the company and get that across to them in the interviews I would suggest going to info sessions, connection with recruiters, and going in the store to see the merchandising and talk to managers.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the blue...like I said, know the company inside and out.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dick's Sporting Goods

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods Merchandising Training Program interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees and interview candidates.