Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.3

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandising Training Program Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2014.

two back to back 30 min interviews. both are all behavioral based. theyll ask what you know about dicks and do not use group projects in your answers! they were very nice. they make you feel relaxed and it isnt high pressured. not worth getting nervous about. just google behavioral questions online. go to their little info session, they give you a lot of info you can use

Interview Questions
  • what is a time where you marketed something in a unique way   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Merchandising Training Program Interview

On campus interview followed by an on site interview a few weeks after.

Interview Questions
    • How do you keep up with current events?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2013.

Made contact at a career fair and submitted resume through University Career Center. Selected for an on campus interview the following week. The first round consisted of 2 45-minute behavioral interviews.

The next week I was invited for an onsite interview in Pittsburgh, PA. The first day was dinner/tour of the city, and the second day was an overview of the company and 2 more 45-minute interviews. The interviews were with Buyers and were very similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision quickly and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • What is the most recent thing that you have read about Dick's Sporting Goods in the news?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2012.

First round campus interview and second round on-site interviews. Professional attire required. Recruiters and interviewers were very friendly. Questions a mix of standard and situational, no case questions. Pittsburgh tour, dinner, and office tour provided. Compared to other companies recruiting students, their interview process was very organised.

Non-competitive interview process--they are hiring a lot of people. Quality of applicants and of current employees is mixed at best. It seems they are not looking for very smart or dedicated folks--just those who can fit in. Diversity is severely lacking. Salary is low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2012.

Signed up through University's job posting and company's website. 1st Round consisted of 2 30 minute interviews, one strictly behavioral based and the other more about character/fit with company. Received email within 2 days that I did not move onto the 2nd Round, which was scheduled for the following week. If you interview early on in the process, you may not hear back as early. Very friendly and enthusiastic employees and would definitely interview for positions with company in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Name a goal you set for yourself and the steps you took to accomplish it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in May 2012.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. It was my first interview out of school and it is still the hardest phone interview I have had until this day. It consisted of about 25 intense behavorial interview questions, "Tell me about a time when".. "When was a time you went above and beyond". It also had a mix of the standard questions, "Why do you want to work for Dick's?" . At the end of the interview the recruiter was very adamant and firm when asking "What questions do you have for me". It was very intimidating for my first interview, but I definitely learned a lot.

Interview Questions
    • "Besides a school group project, when was a time that you went above and beyond in a group setting?"   View Answer

Merchandising Training Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I submitted my resume and was contacted by e-mail shortly after. I had a 30 minute interview with a recruiter. After that I was invited to interview with 2 associates who had completed the training program. The last round of interviews was a Site Visit where many potential trainees were given tours and interviewed with two different managers. 5 interviews total at 3 different times.

Interview Questions
    • What skills have you developed in past positions that you believe will translate well in to a retail environment?   Answer Question

Merchandising Training Program Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

The people who work at the company are very casual and make you feel comfortable. However, you must know a lot about the company and get that across to them in the interviews I would suggest going to info sessions, connection with recruiters, and going in the store to see the merchandising and talk to managers.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the blue...like I said, know the company inside and out.   Answer Question