Dick's Sporting Goods

2.5

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I was denied online, but the agency I was working with pushed my resume through. The hiring manager said she rejected me due to me applying for jobs at DSG outside the Human Resource field. I explained my interest in working for DSGs and how the jobs I applied to previously were similar to HR, such as Admin Assistant ect. Reluctantly, she scheduled me for an interview with the agency's referral. I had two back to back interviews with two representatives at the emasculate headquarters. While I appreciated the time, the interviews were not engaging. I answered their questions, but they did not offer any information to me that would excite me or engage me about the position. Rather dry and meaningless. They never got back to me, rather went through my agency.

Senior Architect E-commerce Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in September 2014.

I applied through a recruiter on-line who initially contacted me. The Recruiter arranged a phone interview first with HR who later arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process took about a week before my phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions really. The hiring manager was very inexperienced not only as manager but also as an interviewer. I asked some basic questions about what the E-commerce project entailed that he couldn't answer. He said they had been working on it already for a whole year, yet there was no specification, no requirements document, or even a project plan. This baffled me. How do you architect an e-commerce system from the ground-up when nobody has even determined what the requirements needed to be? I didn't care to continue interviewing with this company.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Their interview process started out great with communication from HR, but when the actual interview took place it went downhill fast. The questions I was asked had no relevance to the position I was applying for and the interviewer didn't seem interested in talking about the position and what the project would consist of for the summer.

Interview Questions
    • None of their questions were relevant for the work I was being interviewed for - that was the hardest part about the interview. There were no objective measures to quantify how the interview was going.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2014.

I applied for an open position in the Ecommerce Department. The next day HR called to talk about what my current position, the open position, and verify salary requirements. Next I spoke with the HR manager and talked in detail about my past and how the open position fit my background. Next a phone interview was set up with the Director of Ecommerce the following work day. I was told the interview would be 40 minutes. She called and indicated she had 20 minutes talk. I review my work history. Very few questions were asked. She indicated she has a few more candidates to interview and I will know, either way, if I had the job. I never heard back from Dicks.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't ask questions since only 20 minutes was allocated for interview. I did 95% of all the talking.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in October 2013.

I applied to a job on the Dick's Sporting Goods corporate site. The next day I was contacted by an HR person to schedule the interview. The interview lasted from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM and was a round-robin type process with different interviewers switching out every 40-60 minutes. The interview was pretty easy compared to most I've had at other companies. I met with 6 people ranging from developers, to business analysts, to PMs and the director.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question
    There really was no negotiation phase. I needed a job, they offered me one.

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Phone screen with HR. Followed up by on-site interviews, one following another. Primarily technical questions, with Hiring Manager as last step in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was more conversational in nature, with explanations of what I did in the past, with technical details requested here and there.   Answer Question
    HR indicated they refuse to negotiate IT salaries for non-management positions...

Apparel Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2013.

one interview with your projected manager, where you are told everything you want to hear just to get you to be willing to take the job. If you apply for full time expect to be hired part time with a promise that the first full time position in the department will be yours…Second interview with another manager who asks ridiculous questions like "In a sports setting how are you a leader" I still have no idea how this relates to being a good employee selling apparel or shoes but this how Dicks interviews

Interview Questions
    • How were you a leader in a sport that you played? or When did you take an initiative on a team that you play/played on?   View Answer
    I told them I could only work there for a certain amount of money per hour…they told me it had to take 48 hours to be approved by corporate then 6 hours later I got a call saying everything was approved and I needed to come in to take a test to see if I wasn't a sociopath.

Vendor Direct ECommerce Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in April 2013.

Process started with brief phone call with recruiter who asked me basic questions about my resume and salary range before sharing my resume with eCom team. Was then contacted for an on-site interview with 4 team members. On-site interview went great, culture seems great, got tour of impressive facilities. Recruiter called me a couple days later saying I was great fit for team but asked if I was interested in different role that still fit my salary range. I said absolutely and recruiter said she would touch base with team and let them know and more or less gave verbal offer. After 2 months of back and forth follow up, recruiter called to say they decided to fill role internally and was very apologetic.

Interview Questions
    • All basic interview and behavioral questions. One question which I had prepared for was if you could improve our site in one way, what would you suggest?   Answer Question

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in April 2013.

Three phone interview, onsite interview and a presentation.

Merchandising Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2013.

Made contact at a career fair and submitted resume through University Career Center. Selected for an on campus interview the following week. The first round consisted of 2 45-minute behavioral interviews.

The next week I was invited for an onsite interview in Pittsburgh, PA. The first day was dinner/tour of the city, and the second day was an overview of the company and 2 more 45-minute interviews. The interviews were with Buyers and were very similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a decision quickly and what was the result?   Answer Question
    • What is the most recent thing that you have read about Dick's Sporting Goods in the news?   Answer Question