Dick's Sporting Goods Interview Questions in Pittsburgh, PA

Updated Jul 21, 2015

2.5

Tech Support/AV Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moon Township, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Moon Township, PA).

Interview

I was brought into the corporate headquarters for an in-person interview after a phone interview, and spoke with members of three different departments who I would interface with. After discussing the basics of the positions and my experience, we took a tour of the corporate campus. The tour included walking through various conference rooms that I would be responsible for supporting, as well as some of the amenities that I would have access to as an employee (such as gym access, and the on-campus cafeteria, coffee shop, and bank).

Senior Space Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

Was contacted regarding a Senior Space Planner role I applied for. Had a standard getting to know you call with HR. Followed up with a phone interview with the hiring manager which last 5 minutes with no questions asked about my qualifications - entire discussion was about her cousin and that she happened to go to the same college I graduated from. Surprisingly, I was flown out for an interview (all the logistics of this were well-handled) costing me a few days of work. Half hour interview each with HR and 2 hiring managers of two different departments. Upon arriving, was wondering if I was interested in other jobs at the company other than the one I applied for. None of the interviewers had read my resume beforehand and asked random questions about jobs I held 15 years ago. I had heard really good things about this company but I would not have accepted even if offered. Corporate campus is beautiful and feels like a health-club/resort. However, I would just make sure that you know that the job you are interviewing for is the same one you applied for and that you do a better job of setting expectations, especially if you are traveling.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Walk me through your resume? Name a strength and weakness? What do you do at your job? (Very basic questions)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was time consuming. You interview with at least 6 people in 30 (or so) minute blocks. They have special interview rooms where you sit and the interviewers come and go. You start with a phone screen and if you pass that you get invited on site. They get a lot of people from multiple functions. One part of the interview they take you around the facilities and try to impress you with the gym.

Interview Questions

• They were very heavy on by the books old-school requirements gathering and documentation. If you're used to working in an agile environment, this isn't the place for you. Many of the individuals seemed excited by agile concepts, but you could tell that from on high, it wasn't happening.   Answer Question

Lease Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview, then was contacted a few days later and invited to come in for an in-person interview. There I met with the recruiter and toured the (amazing) headquarters building. About two hours were spent in 3 consecutive interviews with supervisors & HR. Everyone was extremely friendly and you could tell they truly loved working at the company. The interviews were conversational and there were no surprise or hard questions, just the general interview Qs, plus some questions specific to the position. I didn't receive an offer, but it was an all around positive experience.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you had to deal with angry clients and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Merchandising Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from a recruiter within a week or two. A week later I skyped with a recruiters. Following the Skype interview, I was invited to Skype with two other DSG employees in the merchandising department. I was then invited to the corporate headquarters in Pittsburg, PA with other candidates. The first day we had a presentation on the program, were given a great tour of Pittsburgh, and then taken to a nice Italian dinner. The following day we each had two interviews, lunch, and a campus tour. Everyone was extremely inviting, and the recruiters were great and really organized.

Recruiting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I was denied online, but the agency I was working with pushed my resume through. The hiring manager said she rejected me due to me applying for jobs at DSG outside the Human Resource field. I explained my interest in working for DSGs and how the jobs I applied to previously were similar to HR, such as Admin Assistant ect. Reluctantly, she scheduled me for an interview with the agency's referral. I had two back to back interviews with two representatives at the emasculate headquarters. While I appreciated the time, the interviews were not engaging. I answered their questions, but they did not offer any information to me that would excite me or engage me about the position. Rather dry and meaningless. They never got back to me, rather went through my agency.

Senior Architect E-commerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter on-line who initially contacted me. The Recruiter arranged a phone interview first with HR who later arranged a phone interview with the hiring manager. The process took about a week before my phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions really. The hiring manager was very inexperienced not only as manager but also as an interviewer. I asked some basic questions about what the E-commerce project entailed that he couldn't answer. He said they had been working on it already for a whole year, yet there was no specification, no requirements document, or even a project plan. This baffled me. How do you architect an e-commerce system from the ground-up when nobody has even determined what the requirements needed to be? I didn't care to continue interviewing with this company.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

Their interview process started out great with communication from HR, but when the actual interview took place it went downhill fast. The questions I was asked had no relevance to the position I was applying for and the interviewer didn't seem interested in talking about the position and what the project would consist of for the summer.

Interview Questions

• None of their questions were relevant for the work I was being interviewed for - that was the hardest part about the interview. There were no objective measures to quantify how the interview was going.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for an open position in the Ecommerce Department. The next day HR called to talk about what my current position, the open position, and verify salary requirements. Next I spoke with the HR manager and talked in detail about my past and how the open position fit my background. Next a phone interview was set up with the Director of Ecommerce the following work day. I was told the interview would be 40 minutes. She called and indicated she had 20 minutes talk. I review my work history. Very few questions were asked. She indicated she has a few more candidates to interview and I will know, either way, if I had the job. I never heard back from Dicks.

Interview Questions

• Didn't ask questions since only 20 minutes was allocated for interview. I did 95% of all the talking.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied to a job on the Dick's Sporting Goods corporate site. The next day I was contacted by an HR person to schedule the interview. The interview lasted from 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM and was a round-robin type process with different interviewers switching out every 40-60 minutes. The interview was pretty easy compared to most I've had at other companies. I met with 6 people ranging from developers, to business analysts, to PMs and the director.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really was no negotiation phase. I needed a job, they offered me one.