Dick's Sporting Goods

52 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brunswick, GA

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – Standard Questions. I applied online and it took a week or two to get back to me. when they did i had an interview with a manager. the manager really didn't really seem that interested in the interview process and not too mention that they made me wait a while for it. i had a second interview the next day with a different manager and they said they would call me if i had the job. they never called.

Interview Question – What did you do while dealing with an unhappy customer?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – If you can form logical sentences and talk to people - you're good to go.
Actually, even if you can't meet either of those conditions... you're probably good to go.
Applied online, in person interview, I think they offered me the job later that day... holiday season, they really needed people.

Interview Question – What are you passionate about?   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2014.

Interview Details – Went through a two part interview. First I interviewed with the a department manager. He was great and had a positive energy to the interview. Most of the interview was full of basic standard non specific interview questions. They just read the questions from a standard form. Completely robotic process. After the first interview i had to interview with the store manager... who had to leave early the day of my interview so i had to reschedule and come in a second time. The day before my second interview i was called to reschedule because the store manager was now unavailable a second time. This time i was given 4 days over the next month that the manager was available. When i finally did make it in to the interview the store manager came off as the most arrogant self centered person in the world. They jumped through the same basic questions and then basically told me since i didn't have full availability that this was a waste of time and ended the interview. The first interviewer told me that what i had for availability was no problem and would be more than reasonable. Glad to see there is communication between managers...

After the first interview i was thinking I'd want to work in the store but after 2 minutes of the second I don't even want to shop in the store again. UNBELIEVABLE!

Interview Question – Nothing challenging just questions designed to make you think on your feet about a past experience. Completely unoriginal.   Answer Question

Fort Myers, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by phone to set up an in person interview. After arriving 15 minutes early for my interview I had to wait another 45 minutes for the manager to show up. When the interview finally began he asked me questions as if it were an extreme inconvenience for him. I do not recall one time that he looked me in the eye and he even ridiculed me for wearing a suit to the interview. The end of the interview was a session in front of a computer to answer personality questions. The manager left me in the room alone saying after I finished that I could go and he would be in touch. After 3 months I gave up on hearing from them about the job (yes, that is sarcasm). But it is reasonable to think I would have at least gotten a letter saying I was no longer considered for the job.

Interview Question – Why did you wear a suit to this interview?   View Answer

Norcross, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was comical, the store manager appeared disengaged and gave me the impression he would rather be doing something else with his life. Never asked more than a couple of questions then asked when can you start.

Interview Question – When can you start, will you accept this salary.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I was told what they could offer and if that was acceptable.

Worcester, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I applied online. One week later I received a call from the sales manager and set up an interview. The interview was simple. They asked behavioral questions (tell me about a time when...) and about my sports interests etc. Then I had to take an online personality questionnaire. I was then asked back for a second interview the following day. I met with the store manager he asked similar questions and I was then offered the job on the spot.

Interview Question – They asked for a time when I had experienced bad customer service. It caught me off guard because those things don't usually bother me too much.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

Interview Details – Very simple interview process. Applied online. Received a phone call to set up first interview. Interviewed with a manager. Asked a series of expected retail/sports related questions (give me an example of a time when you had to..., how would you handle unhappy customers, what kind of sports background do you have, etc.). Very straightforward and short interview (about 8-10 questions). Received a second phone call about a week later to set up a second interview with a different manager. Asked more of the same types of questions for a second opinion. I was called a few days later and given a start date.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions. The most detail-specific question was "explain the process you would use to select the right shoe for a customer's need."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable. Standard wage for the position. Performance evaluations over time or promotions increase the wage.

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – Job interview was typical of a minimum wage company. Nothing flashy, just tell them you are not weird and you enjoy sports. If any interests stand out to you, be sure to tell them immediately. Again, just a minimum wage job so no need to over think this interview. No drug test.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Dick's Sporting Goods.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I applied online.Took the online assessment they make you take. A few weeks later, I got a call to come in for an interview. I interviewed with the hard lines manager for 20 minutes and then interviewed with the store manager for 15 minutes. It was a very casual conversation. The standard STAR format. We also talked about sports(favorite sport, team, player, did i play any, etc...) Both of them asked me the same questions. I got a call the next day saying they would like me to offer the job.

Interview Question – Simple, relaxed interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiating. They will make you an offer and when you raise them they won't budge by anymore than $.25

Murfreesboro, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I applied online through the Dick's Sporting Goods website. They called back in less than a week. I went into the interview with one of the managers. He was really nice and funny. He asked the basic interview questions, but he knew they were generic and made the interview more of a conversation.

Interview Question – Name one of your weaknesses.   Answer Question

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!