Dick's Sporting Goods

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – 3 interviews; 1 with the recruiter, 1 with the DM, and 1 with the RVP (included a meeting with loss prevention and HR). The total hiring process took a little more than 4 weeks and the interviews were not difficult.

Interview Question – Situation based questions   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated for a higher salary and had my answer in less than 24 hours

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in January 2014.

Interview Details – Got called recently about a position that was on their hiring site described as "store manager" when I was able to talk to the hiring recruiter it was explained that the job was actually a asst store manager. Lady seemed very nice but the initial posting was misleading.

Interview Question – Was no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Northern, KY

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had three interviews and was flown to Charlotte, NC. It was about a 6 week process

Interview Question – Being asked a question about their Profit and Loss Statements and knowing what each category was from years of experience but was expected to know their lingo in order to communicate with the higher ups.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, which lasted about 45 minutes.

The recruiter told me the compensation for a store manager was 75k-85k, but that 85k was really tough to get. The position they interview you for is actually to be a bench manager, so you do not run your own store immediately. She mentioned the quickest she has heard of it happening was 4 months, but it sounds like it probably takes longer than that. This seemed very reasonable given that it is a fairly complex job and you'd want time to learn.

Other compensation included: cash bonus up to 15% of your salary and some restricted stock options depending on company results.

The recruiter was very open to transparent and I appreciated the honesty. Talked about the company have a very competitive culture for stores. This is great for some people, but others might not like this as much.

Store volume ranged from 8m-12m, and about 40,000 square ft. One store manager, 2 assistant managers, and around 40 total employees.

Training would consist of a 13 week course that happens in 2 different states. Not 100% sure but I believe she said Indianapolis and Chicago for the first 6 weeks, and then 7 weeks somewhere on the East coast. Sounded like a fairly extensive training program.

Interview Question – Really no difficult questions. All were behavior based questions that were really looking for a result that you were able to drive. There was a specific question about improving shrink/shortage, which I had not heard in an interview. Basically, she asked what I have done in the past to improve shrink in my current position.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The offer was just to move onto the next stage of the interviews. I was not interested due to the compensation package being significantly less than my current compensation.

Bloomington, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a recruiter phone interview of 90 minutes, then a local District Manager interview of an hour. After that the candidate interviews with each of the 3 critical regional staff members, RVP, HP and LP. Also included are two "walks" of an existing store to demonstrate your knowledge of merchandising standards. This last part is critical because after two months of interviews not performing well on the walk cost me the job. The job has been re-posted now after 3 months, so they are patient and thorough.

Interview Question – Very vague store walk where the candidate must critique the merchandising of the store without the benefit of knowing what the company standards are. I would recommend doing this walk on your own before hand with a friend and practice a path you will take the manager on and what you will discuss.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was drawn out over a 10 day period with multiple interviews with corporate and regional management. The interview with the DM only happend at the end of the process. Just tell them what they want to hear. They want to hear that you are going to manage like you are sargent in the military and then they will hire you.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years with our company?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods

Interview Details – Online, Then a phone interveiw, meet with a store manager, Market manager, then a regional human resource manager, Set a iterveiw with regional general manager, Then a postion is offered or not, Then the usually drug test and back ground check.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join dicks sporting goods   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Met with District manager twice for fae to face interview. Had a phone interview with HR prior to that, and a phone interview with LP during process.

Negotiation Details – No negotiiation. DM called with an offer and I accepted.

Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was recommended by an officer of the company. The DM seemed disinterested halfway through my interview, but asked me if I'd be willing to accept a lower position. He called me in 2 days to urge me to take a lesser position with a promise of promotion in 6-8 months.

Interview Question – Your last store was 4 million in sales what makes you think you can handle 6.5 million?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to get more than the initial ridiculous offer after a day of negotiation

Store Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in July 2011.

Interview Details – casual, was in a mall food court.
the questions asked were the usual, what experience you have, talk about a time you had an unruly customer, etc.
occasional questions about what I liked most about other Spirit of Halloween stores, and what I liked least.
I thought the interview went well, but never heard back.

Interview Question – what do you like least in our stores   View Answer

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!