Dick's Sporting Goods Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Initial screening interview with a recruiter followed with an interview with the DM. Didn't discuss anything out of the ordinary. Discussed how DSG competes with Academy Sports and Bass Pro; discussed pricing, assortment, etc.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dick's Sporting Goods

Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Fremont, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

5 step process consisting of recruiter, DM, RVP loss prevention, RVP HR, RVP operations. Phone interviews were very in depth, covering challenges, multiple weaknesses and how you can overcome them.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a decision you made that didn't work, and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Woodbury, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Interview process started with a phone interview with the recruiter, then a face to face with the DM, and finally a phone interview with the LP Manager and the Human Resources Manager.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

3 interviews; 1 with the recruiter, 1 with the DM, and 1 with the RVP (included a meeting with loss prevention and HR). The total hiring process took a little more than 4 weeks and the interviews were not difficult.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated for a higher salary and had my answer in less than 24 hours

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods in January 2014.

Interview

Got called recently about a position that was on their hiring site described as "store manager" when I was able to talk to the hiring recruiter it was explained that the job was actually a asst store manager. Lady seemed very nice but the initial posting was misleading.

Anonymous Employee in Northern, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Northern, KY) in June 2013.

Interview

Had three interviews and was flown to Charlotte, NC. It was about a 6 week process

Interview Questions

• Being asked a question about their Profit and Loss Statements and knowing what each category was from years of experience but was expected to know their lingo in order to communicate with the higher ups.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Penn Pitt, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Penn Pitt, PA) in May 2013.

Interview

Interactive interview with a panel of Upper management. You interview with Loss Prevention, Human Resources, District Managers (several) and Regional Managers. There was a store tour, a sit down with human resources, a sit down with multiple district managers, and a sit down with the regional manager going over business reviews.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if we gave a store to you right now?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview, which lasted about 45 minutes. The recruiter told me the compensation for a store manager was 75k-85k, but that 85k was really tough to get. The position they interview you for is actually to be a bench manager, so you do not run your own store immediately. She mentioned the quickest she has heard of it happening was 4 months, but it sounds like it probably takes longer than that. This seemed very reasonable given that it is a fairly complex job and you'd want time to learn. Other compensation included: cash bonus up to 15% of your salary and some restricted stock options depending on company results. The recruiter was very open to transparent and I appreciated the honesty. Talked about the company have a very competitive culture for stores. This is great for some people, but others might not like this as much. Store volume ranged from 8m-12m, and about 40,000 square ft. One store manager, 2 assistant managers, and around 40 total employees. Training would consist of a 13 week course that happens in 2 different states. Not 100% sure but I believe she said Indianapolis and Chicago for the first 6 weeks, and then 7 weeks somewhere on the East coast. Sounded like a fairly extensive training program.

Interview Questions

• Really no difficult questions. All were behavior based questions that were really looking for a result that you were able to drive. There was a specific question about improving shrink/shortage, which I had not heard in an interview. Basically, she asked what I have done in the past to improve shrink in my current position.   Answer Question

The offer was just to move onto the next stage of the interviews. I was not interested due to the compensation package being significantly less than my current compensation.

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Bloomington, IN) in February 2013.

Interview

Started with a recruiter phone interview of 90 minutes, then a local District Manager interview of an hour. After that the candidate interviews with each of the 3 critical regional staff members, RVP, HP and LP. Also included are two "walks" of an existing store to demonstrate your knowledge of merchandising standards. This last part is critical because after two months of interviews not performing well on the walk cost me the job. The job has been re-posted now after 3 months, so they are patient and thorough.

Interview Questions

• Very vague store walk where the candidate must critique the merchandising of the store without the benefit of knowing what the company standards are. I would recommend doing this walk on your own before hand with a friend and practice a path you will take the manager on and what you will discuss.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Dick's Sporting Goods (Boston, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview process was drawn out over a 10 day period with multiple interviews with corporate and regional management. The interview with the DM only happend at the end of the process. Just tell them what they want to hear. They want to hear that you are going to manage like you are sargent in the military and then they will hire you.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years with our company?   Answer Question