Digital Media Management

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Digital Media Management in January 2013.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for the position, and sent my resume.

The job qualifications in the ad were as follows: "We are looking for candidates who have previously managed social media campaigns, excellent Photoshop skills, with experience in managing movie social campaigns a huge plus. You will have a thorough understanding of all social media properties, are able to create original and engaging copy, have a strong eye for detail, and a keen interest in movies and the ins and outs of movie marketing."

A few days later I received an email from the Vice President, Adam Reynolds, asking to schedule an on-site interview. I replied, and it took him nearly a week to get back to me with a date and time for the appointment.

On the day of the interview I drove over an hour to their office in Beverly Hills from Chatsworth. Their office consisted of four or so really stark rooms, all containing rectangular office tables, at which were a bunch of people sitting and staring at laptops; it looked like all of their employees were in their 20s.

But back to the interview. He went over my employment history, and quickly asked about the "SEO" bullet on my resume, which I suspect was one of the cardinal reasons he had me come in for the interview, namely, for _free_ consultation on SEO practices under the guise of a "job interview." He then asked for more details about my social media management experience, e.g., "How many Twitter followers did you garner for your current company?," "How long did it take you?," "What strategy did you use?" He didn't like any of my answers, and at this point he became indignant. For example, he responded to one of my answers by snapping (with a contemptuous tone in his voice), "It clearly says in the ad that we're looking for someone with substantial experience in social media management," intimating that I had wasted his time by coming to the interview with insufficient professional experience, totally overlooking that (1) he _chose_ to invite me to the interview, (2) all of my social media experience was clearly enumerated in my resume for him to study before inviting me, and, moreover, (3) it was I who was the one who had to expend gas and drive over an hour to get to his office, and over an hour to return.

This is exemplary of how rampant self-absorption is in Los Angeles.

Interview Questions