Dillard's

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Area Sales Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – Promoted from within

Negotiation Details – Shoot for the stars. If you low ball yourself you'll be working for pennies in the long run.

Area Sales Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of basic questions. Nothing too extreme.
Typical questions: How will you drive business?, Do you consider yourself competitive?, Tell me about your work experience.

Interview Question – There weren't any   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Area Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who was a current Dillard's Associate. My resume had been shared with the Store Manager with whom I met once. The interview was very collegial and it mostly consisted of us discussing my past retail experience. I focused a lot on retail culture, effective management skills, and the Dillard's brand. I was told that there would be an available ASM slot, and, by the next week (following this interview) I was offered an ASM position.

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions -- it was a very organic conversation between two individuals. I did however make sure that I knew a lot about Dillard's (history, culture, and private label) beforehand.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as I was extremely happy with the offer (very high 40's).

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in April 2011.

Interview Details – Be young and underpaid with some sort of retail experience. They will hire you in at what seems like a decent wage until you actually experience the hours and the work load.

Interview Question – I had a decent amount of retail experience with a what was in hindsight a really good company, so I sort of led the conversation and blew them away. I feel like they're used to interviewing fresh out of college kids that just need a job and have no retail management experience. If you know what you're talking about you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate salary, but had a vacation planned that I was able to negotiate. Was not able to take another week off for an entire year though due to their awful policies.

Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dillard's in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with a recruiter and after many discussions I met with the District Sales Manager for an official interview. I was called back with an offer within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work 60 hours a week?   Answer Question

Area Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – Submited updated resume to Operations Manager of store as a sales associate per her request for an updated resume. Interviewd with District manager and was told that he would have to think long and hard about what he was going to do with me.

Interview Question – What am I going to do with you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was told by store manager what the salary would be and asked would I accept or was this my last day with company.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dillard's in November 2008.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews. Typical retail questions. How would you deal with an associate that was not meeting their sales goals.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Dallas, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dillard's in October 2008.

Interview Details – Turned in resume, got call in about a week, met with General Manager. Offered job on spot and started in two weeks. Very simple process.

Interview Question – Talked about past experience and how I felt about corporate structure and feel of Dillards. I did not realize that they expected at least 65-75 hours a week. Not me, I have a life and expect 40-50 hours a week especitally due to the pay.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked what I wanted, which was $36000 and they offered it on the spot.

Evansville, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in September 2008.

Interview Details – Because it was an interview for a management position, I had to interview with several people. They were always willing to work around my current schedule and was very considerate that I was still working at another company! They were respectful to the fact that I needed to find and replace another Store Manager and worked with me along with that as well.

Interview Question – Why should you be offered the position over the other candidates we are considering?   View Answer

Littleton, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's in August 2011.

Interview Details – Strange application process. No online capabilities - you go into the offices and use their kiosk. There are no area's to apply for managemnt, so they call you in, determine you're way overqualified, then try to figure out what to do with you. I hope to receive an offer, as the people I interviewed with were terrific!

Interview Question – Tell me about your background   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dillard's

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dillard's Area Sales Manager interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dillard's employees and interview candidates.