Dillard's Area Sales Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dillard's (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

Store manager called me in and I met with her within the week. I had my resume ready and I was prepared for the interview. I had previously worked at a different retailer as a manager. It was a one on one meeting at first then about thirty minutes into the meeting she brought in the operations manager to ask several other questions about how i handle situations and to see my thought processes.

Interview Questions

• What difference would I make if I had the opportunity to change something   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate because of my experience

Other Interview Reviews for Dillard's

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

The process was fairly easy since I had already been working as a part time sales clerk.
    I interviewed with the area manager at the time and as well as the store manager for the position over the men's area. So it was a within the company advancement opportunity. The process went smoothly and my training began immediately.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Dillard's in August 2014.

Interview

Went through 3 different steps. Had to drive to 3 different stores. My second interview the interviewer was late and I had to wait 20 minutes for him to get it together. The job they sold me was not the job I got when I started

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Applicants must take a People Answers test before being considered for an interview. It is graded, if you test 2 or higher the applicant will be contacted for an interview. The applicant will interview with a manager of department where there is a job opening. If the manager likes the applicant, there will be a second interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• The People Answers test is very long, analyzes smarts and work ethics compared to that of Dillard's working environment. Best to take exam at home, where you are in a comfortable and quiet location.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Dillard's (Dallas, TX).

Interview

got in touch with an internship coordinator (a job that no longer exists) and flew down for the interview. Got a call not long after where I was offered the internship (position (for not nearly enough pay to live on.)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Just took what was offered... needed internship to graduate

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Was recruited right out of college. I had 2 in person interviews and was offered the position in the 2nd interview. I might with the Regional Manager and 2 recruiters, it was very laid back. There were no tough questions at all during the interview process. The interview was very quick and easy

Interview Questions

• There were really no tough questions in either of my interviews. They are just trying to get a feel for who you are.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hattiesburg, MS

Application

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Dillard's (Hattiesburg, MS) in May 2014.

Interview

I spoke with the store manager on the phone about the position then I went in the store and met him and filled out an application. I interviewed with him the next week and he set up an interview for me with the district manager. I interviewed with him the following week and I was offered the job.

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Promoted from within

Negotiation

Shoot for the stars. If you low ball yourself you'll be working for pennies in the long run.

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Interview consisted of basic questions. Nothing too extreme.
    Typical questions: How will you drive business?, Do you consider yourself competitive?, Tell me about your work experience.

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's in March 2013.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who was a current Dillard's Associate. My resume had been shared with the Store Manager with whom I met once. The interview was very collegial and it mostly consisted of us discussing my past retail experience. I focused a lot on retail culture, effective management skills, and the Dillard's brand. I was told that there would be an available ASM slot, and, by the next week (following this interview) I was offered an ASM position.

Interview Questions

• There really were no difficult questions -- it was a very organic conversation between two individuals. I did however make sure that I knew a lot about Dillard's (history, culture, and private label) beforehand.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as I was extremely happy with the offer (very high 40's).