Dillard's Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.0

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I heard they're hiring, so I applied online, then quick phone interview, one on one interview, come in to check and fill out a lot of form, Overall the interview was average, not too difficult or too easy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Dillard's

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

Talked my head off. Really unsure about how to interview for a sales based position. I dressed professional and answered the questions to the best of my ability. I had a follow up interview with another manager. He liked what I had to say and I asked when could I start.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I started high, they started low, and then we met in the middle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Dillard's (Columbia, SC) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a phone call from the secretary who scheduled the interview after applying online. I met with the store manager, who after looking at my resume, asked if I had experience selling shoes (which I had many years experience). She explained the Dillard's way of selling shoes, the commission bonus system (9% per regular priced shoe, plus 3.5% for new arrival shoes). I asked her a few questions about the job, and filled out a background check form, which gave them permission to do a background check on me. I got the call saying I got the job before I got home, within 15 minutes of leaving the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dillard's (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

Basically I applied online and I have a really close friend that works there so I put her down as an employee reference. About a week later, I got a call from Dillard's and the woman was extremely nice. I go to the interview and I had thought that I got the job because she copied my drivers license and ID and we did the military background check and I filled out a bunch of papers but I still haven't received a call back. She told me to call her in a week if I didn't hear from her so I did and she said she was waiting for the sales managers to give her open positions.It's been two weeks. Not even a call to tell me that I didn't get the job, I even emailed her and she didn't respond.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I submitted an application and it took about two weeks before I was contacted. I met with one of the hiring managers who proceeded to ask me general interview questions and "if I were in this situation what would I do" type of questions. Then I was called back for a second interview with the general manager who ask me why I wanted to work there and they said they would give me a call if I got the job after the weekend.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you handled a situation where the customer was unhappy.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

You fill out a questionnaire on a computer. If you pass that part and they are interested in you, you will get a call within a few days and, you will meet with the store manager. The store manager will want to know which area of the store you think you might be interested to work in.

Interview Questions

• The initial questionnaire portion of the interview seemed directed towards a very below average, high school mentality. Nothing difficult about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you are placed in a commissioned area, keep your hourly rate at the lowest possible amount. That way if the store is very slow, like in the summer, you won't get fired because you didn't sell enough to cover your draw.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dillard's in January 2015.

Interview

I applied by checking the Dillards website for openings in my area. Application process was easy and they called me the next day. The interviewer asked me a lot of questions about my customer service background and how the job works. Dress like you work there is my strongest advice. You want to make a good first impression. She immediately scheduled me for my second interview. For the second interview, I talked to the store manager. He asked me the same questions and told me what Dillards expects from its workers, etc. He made a note of my outfit being what they like to see. So, again, DRESS THE PART. They're really looking for people who are natural conversationalists and are custome-focused. So make sure you turn up the charm. He told me what my pay and hours would be and that they're going to schedule me for training the next week. So it'll take you two interviews but as long as you reach the second interview, you should be golden. Second interview felt like more of a formality and going over your previous answers to make sure you're the one they want.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The negotiation was pretty straightforward and they like to treat their employees very well. So the pay rate was at the top end of my expectations.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

They ask you to sit and fill out the job application on the spot. Then an assistant manager will interview you. If you pass that interview, someone else will interview you and then you will have to take a personality test and pass it, and then you're hired. It's always good to be prepared when you come to apply. Dress appropriately .

Interview Questions

• Do you know what a quota is?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took what they offered.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I only was able to do the one interview due to schedule issues. The interview was going well until she told me I was required to work on the weekends. On my applications, I put work for Monday through Friday from the morning until the afternoon. Therefore I was unable to do the second interview. The interview was more like a pitch on what the job consisted of and if I was willing to do it. I wish they had more consideration on the times put in the application. I was told I would be started as part time but would get 18 of my hours on Saturday and Sunday. It seemed like the interview was less about me and more about the rules of the job. It was a bit strange but honestly if I did not have a scheduling conflict for the weekends, I would have gone to the second audition. The people I met were very kind.

Interview Questions

• There were very few questions asked honestly. The problem was with scheduling.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview

I applied in person which consisted of me filling out their online application on one of their office computers. The application asks for typical information - education, past experience, etc. However there are several tests following and a survey. The survey focuses on getting to know you as a person/potential employee and asks you to rate your response to numerous statements (i.e. I feel it is important to help co-workers - must select answer ranging from strongly disagree to strongly agree). The tests are timed and ask a variety of questions (some math-related, and others selecting which word is least similar to the others, matching, etc. - reminded me of standardized school tests - it isn't especially hard but isn't super simple either.. my approach was to answer as many as possible in the time allotted so I skipped around and didn't get hung up on a question for too long).

Interview Questions

• I was not expecting the timed tests that followed the online application.   Answer Question