Dillard's

Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.0

118 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

I applied in person which consisted of me filling out their online application on one of their office computers. The application asks for typical information - education, past experience, etc. However there are several tests following and a survey. The survey focuses on getting to know you as a person/potential employee and asks you to rate your response to numerous statements (i.e. I feel it is important to help co-workers - must select answer ranging from strongly disagree to strongly agree). The tests are timed and ask a variety of questions (some math-related, and others selecting which word is least similar to the others, matching, etc. - reminded me of standardized school tests - it isn't especially hard but isn't super simple either.. my approach was to answer as many as possible in the time allotted so I skipped around and didn't get hung up on a question for too long).

Interview Questions
  • I was not expecting the timed tests that followed the online application.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Dillard's

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Dillard's.

They called me the day after I put my resume on Monster. I started three days later. They will promise you alot of things that never come to pass. The interview was very easy. Basic questions, previous experience, work environment, etc.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naples, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dillard's in November 2014.

I sent a cover letter and resume through CL. Got an email from the store manager which included a link to an online, VERY lengthy personality questionnaire and a basic math/skills test. After that, I received a call to come in for an interview. I met with the Sales Manager and then after that, the Asst. Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • It was not a difficult interview at all, it was more like a conversation to see if I would like the position and if I was a good fit. Both managers explained the process of rising up the ranks at Dillards, which seemed pretty reasonable in terms of what's expected from you in order to be promoted, namely sales and ambition and self-motivation.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the rate, I found it to be fair and quite high for retail.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Dillard's.

1 interview in the manager's office. Was asked basic interview question, Do you have retail experience. What would our last employer say about you? How many times did you call out on your last job?

Started at minimum. $8hr.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dillard's in October 2014.

The process took about three days. I applied online Sunday night, got a call Tuesday morning to schedule an interview. Scheduled it for Wednesday at 1. Got to Dillard's at around 12:40, Walked in, she asked me why Dillard's, a quick question about my old job, and about my availability. Afterwards she had me fill out a background check form, and told me about how all the benefits (six days paid vacation, 401k, etc.). Walked out at 1. Got a call Thursday morning officially offering me the job at $12/hour. I go in Tuesday for training.

Interview Questions
    Didn't bother negotiating. $12/hour is so much higher than anything else entry level down here, and I was so happy to finally have a job that I didn't even try.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

I applied online – interviewed at Dillard's.

Applied on computer at the store [personality test, tests your behaviors], then received call for an interview. Be prepared to tell about yourself and match your skills with the opportunity. Have questions for the interviewer. After the interview I received a call about a month later [and they said to call back about that time to see if any positions had opened up]. Very business formal interview.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Dillard's.

Called for interview a few days after resume submission. First interview was relaxed and casual. Typical interview questions. First introduced to sales per hour quotas. Not sure yet how difficult this will be to meet. Second interview with store manager. Felt manager hadn't reviewed my resume at all and didn't come across as interested in even conducting interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dillard's in August 2014.

Manager was very unorganized. She did not even have a hand book to prepare for the interviews. The manager did not even know that her other department is hiring.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnt Store Marina, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnt Store Marina, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dillard's in August 2014.

I filled out an application and got called in for an interview two days later the following week was my interview my interview consist of two interviewers one was easy going the other not so much

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Dillard's.

Applied for the position, literally got a call the next day to set up an interview. I was interviewed by the operations manager. Interview basically consisted of telling him about my work history and experience. He told me what was required to work at Dillard's as a sales associate. Asked me if I was willing to approach people and if I was comfortable starting conversations with strangers. I said yes so he told me he would go ahead and submit the background check. This was on Monday, my first shift was on Friday.

Interview Questions
    • Would you feel comfortable approach customers and talking to them about items?   Answer Question
    I didn't even try to negotiate, starting pay is $12 an hour which is significantly better than most retail stores. I accepted it.