Dillard's

Getting the Interview

90 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's in June 2013.

Interview Details – They explain to you about sales goals and the ability to get raises and what not. They also make sure you have sales experience and you have that type of personality to sell merchandise and credit cards.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions in the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating phase.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in September 2013.

Interview Details – Basic questions regarding your sales experience and customer service relations experience. Definitely try to understand what the manager wants to hear. If they smile then you are saying the right things. It is good to have a solid job on your resume. Somewhere you have been more than six months.

Interview Question – I don't remember anything difficult in the interview process. The store manager hates a high turnover rate. So if you plan not to stay long in that position, don't make that obvious in your interview.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in July 2013.

Interview Details – I went in to fill out an application on their computer, that took about twenty minutes. Whenever I was done there is a phone that you pick up to call a manager, a manager came back and asked what I filled out for and the experience I had. I received a call about two weeks later for an interview. That interview was very informal and I really just got an overview of what I would be doing if hired. I was maybe asked two or three typical interview questions( what would you do in this situation, etc). She told me she liked me and she would schedule a meeting with the store manager. About a week later I received a call to come in to speak with the store manager. This interview was what I was expecting with the first one. I was asked your typical interview questions, every easy( most interviews are the same type of questions). Immediately after my interview with the store manager I met with the manager of the department I was to be placed. We talked and he explained how working on commission worked. I was offered the job about two days later.

Interview Question – There wasn't really any questions that caught me off guard, just your typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Macon, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Dillard's in April 2013.

Interview Details – Good hiring process. Go through a lengthy questionnaire via computer in the mgt. office. Then called for an interview. Downside is that they only hire part time to begin with, then full time after 3 months, and you have to meet your quota in order to gain full time.

Interview Question – Question on your previous quota or numbers. From prior job. Did not have that information. So, in other words, how well did you sell and do you have any proof of that.   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in July 2011.

Interview Details – easy questions
low staff so easy hire

Interview Question – none
very common and stright forward
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation straight pay

Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed at Dillard's in September 2013.

Interview Details – My Mom worked there so I made sure to put that I have family working for the company. They called me a few days later and I had an interview with someone in HR and a few days later with one of the sales managers. Fairly interview, you just have to convince them you know how to talk to people and can potentially move some product.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in retail? (It was hard for me because I really didn't want to take the job)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me $11/hr with about 28 hours a week.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – I applied at Monster.com and got a call the next day. I had 2 interviews and was offered the job on the spot. I met the department manager of where they wanted me to work and all went fine. I was asked about why I enjoyed retail sales. He was most impressed by my desire to have good customer interaction as my main focus.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. The time I was there was more about him selling me on Dillard's than my having to sell myself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I hesitated at 11. an hour so he offered 12. hour immediately.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dillard's in August 2010.

Interview Details – Went well. No problems encounter during the interview.

Interview Question – All questions are related to the position I applied for.   Answer Question

Gilbert, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through Monster.com. They called me within two hours of submitting resume. They had me come to the store and fill out an application and take an online assessment in the store. Then I had an interview with the Operations Manager (Assistant Store Manager). She hired me after running background check.

Interview Question – Name three traits that describe yourself in the workplace. Name three traits that describe yourself at home.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They ran a background check (took about two business days) and hired me.

Boise, ID

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dillard's.

Interview Details – Fill out an application then take a computerized assessment test. This test; is my opinion; is useless. Got called for an interview with one of the Area Sales Managers, then passed on to interview with either the Assistant Store Manager or the Store Manager. After hiring, you go through three nights of training in a separate room with different area sales managers training on basic interactions with customer, dress code, harassment, and how to work the POS (point of sale) registers, and place orders for customers. Then you are put on the floor with a "buddy" for about a week in order to gain knowledge of your daily duties.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not have to negotiate, it was a flat rate of $9.50/hr offered with incentive for raises through sales.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Dillard's

Worked for Dillard's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dillard's Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 90 interview reviews posted anonymously by Dillard's employees and interview candidates.