Dillard's

Average Difficulty
107 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Dillard's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Two in person interviews. Easy questions. "Why do you want to work here?" "Tell me about yourself" etc.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation offer was pretty decent for part time.

Albuquerque, NM

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Dillard's in October 2013.

Interview Details – Went into the store and tracked down a manager and asked questions. Was offered a first interview which started the application process.

Interview Question – Needed to have open availability in order to go any further with the hiring process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate

Ogden, UT

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Dillard's in September 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out a digital application in-store, followed by a five minute interview by an area sales manager.
Received a call for a second interview within 24 hours.
Interviewed with assistant store manager.
Was offered a job after the interview.
Submitted background check, which came back within a few hours.
Accepted final job offer.

Interview Question – Nothing too hard, just promote sales goals and customer service.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Niles, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Dillard's in September 2013.

Interview Details – I saw a post on Monster.com and applied through there. In less than a week I received a call from a hiring manager. After getting the voicemail left a few days later, I called and scheduled for an interview with the Cosmetics/Lingerie manager. When I went in for the interview, I was asked to fill out the actual application on a computer. After I was done with the application, the customer service employee on duty printed it out and gave it to the manager I interviewed with to reference. The interview process was pretty laid back. She mostly asked me about past retail experience and schooling. She spent a lot of time telling me about the company and what it's like to work at Dillard's. She said that she felt my personality was perfect for the job and that she likes how out-going I am. When she was done asking questions and telling me about the company, she stated she would pass all the information to her boss, and if her boss wanted to go further with the process, I would receive a call from her.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to multitask and how you used time management skills to accomplish this.   Answer Question

Cary, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Dillard's in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online via a job board. I received a call from the assistant store manager in a few days to schedule a time to come in for the interview. I interviewed with the person who initially called me. I was given a tour of the sales floor. After I was invited back for an interview with the store manager. She offered me the position on site.

Interview Question – If you were to go to so in so place what would you wear? Also, lots of questions about social interactions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was really not looking for part-time work and I needed a more set schedule than you can find in retail. Also, it was my first interview since I have been back in the search and wanted to weigh out other options.

Norman, OK

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Dillard's in October 2011.

Interview Details – I went to customer service to ask for an application and they directed me to a computer to fill out an application, which included one of those annoying personality tests that everyone lies on to get the interview. After I finished applying I called customer service and then they called the Ops Manager to interview me. The interview wasn't like most interviews where they ask you questions like, "Describe an instance where you went above and beyond the requirements of your job?" or "What are two negative things about you?". Instead, she just asked me about school (I had just transferred to my current university) and told me about the various shifts that were considered normal and the departments that most people started out in. After that she told me when I would be starting. It was all very informal and kind of odd for a job interview if I'm being honest.

Interview Question – None really, as she didn't ask much about anything relevant to my job experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, as the starting pay was $11.00/hr. and it was my first retail experience.

Southaven, MS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in May 2011.

Interview Details – Depending on the need for new hires, associates may only have one interview. If you are fashion and sales driven, you will excel in this position.

Interview Question – None of the questions are too difficult, but be aware that this job is based on hourly sales quota.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Dillard's in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied at monster.com and I heard back within the first week. They scheduled me for an interview for the following week. I was in a room with two girls waiting and one girl was in another room being interviewed. I was the last to go in and was greeted by two managers of the store. They asked me a number of questions and at the end escorted me out of the room and had me wait. A few minutes passed and they came out asking if I could come in next week to meet with the overall manager (they did not ask this to the other girls, only me). The next week the overall manager asked me two or three questions similar to the first interview, then he offered me the job right then and there.

Interview Question – What are the current fashion trends that affect you directly?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not try to negotiate, they offered me more than what I wanted.

Interviewed at Dillard's

Interview Details – The hiring process was smooth and easy. No need to worry. Easy questions about your motivation why you want to work for them. No questions ask about salary. No information provided about how it works on the floor, no explanation about the unwritten rules between coworkers. Approach - take it or leave it. There are hundreds other applicants waiting outside....

Interview Question – there was no difficult question asked   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Strongsville, OH

I applied in-person - interviewed at Dillard's in May 2013.

Interview Details – Really easy, basic questions

Interview Question – Can you name some Dillard's exclusive brands ( clothes)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation