Dimensional Fund Advisors Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.5

Summer FAS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in March 2015.

Round one was a short conversation with a regional director. He asked me to walk through my resume and then spoke to his background. That left some time for Q&A and general conversation and then the "interview" was done. I flew down to Austin the following week for 4 30 minute interviews, all extremely similar to the first interview. There were a few follow questions but minimal, if any, scripted questions asked. They more or less seemed to be looking for soft skills and career fit.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in February 2015.

Applied through on campus recruiting. Interviewed at school, was invited to final round interview in Austin a few weeks later. 5 back to back interviews with MDs and VPs. Interviews were non technical and everyone I interviewed with was extremely friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly walk me through your resume and why Dimensional   Answer Question

Summer FAS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in February 2015.

The process was straightforward and easy to understand. Introduced through a mutual friend with one of the directors in Santa Monica, flew out on my own expense to visit the firm, had one phone interview, DFA flew me out for a Super Day at the HQ in Austin...accepted offer. Dimensional really cares about the type of person they hire. If you don't believe in the investment philosophy, don't work here. Period. If you believe in efficient markets, passive investing, and markets...it might be the place for you.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you were in a team environment in which one of the team members didn't pull their weight. What did you do about it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation on pay. They do pay well for the industry. Flexible on start dates.

Portfolio Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in January 2015.

Applied online, because I was not on a campus they recruit at, required two phone interviews. First was behavioral and for fit, second was all technical questions about Fama-French Model and other company values. For interview preparation, review Fama-French model, the company's goals and history,

Interview Questions
    • What steps would you take as an IRA matured?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in January 2015.

The interviewer was professional and receptive. He was attentive and interested in each of my answers. As I discussed the points on my resume, he asked relevant questions to find out more about qualifications. When I, at the end, asked my prepared questions about the company, he responded with an acute knowledgeability about the firm.

Senior Associate - Financial Advisor Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors.

1 phone interview. Then in person interview with 2 regional directors and 2 vice presidents. The interview questions primarily asked about the Fama French Model, discuss what a linear regression model is and market efficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about the profitability factor in a 4 factor model.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

After an initial phone interview, an in-person interview that required meeting 3 potential assignments that took entirely too long, the entire process seemed a bit much. HR seemed pushy and unorganized and failed to mention once hired the firm will basically require you (and anyone in your household) to hand over all of your financial information so their Compliance department can review.

Interview Questions
    • I did not feel there were difficult questions for this position.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors.

Initial interview was by phone. Followed by 2 other phone interviews. Laid back interviews, mainly behavioral questions/wanted to know what you knew about the company/strategy. Followed up with a onsite interview.

Internship Financial Advisor Services Interview

Initial interview was by phone. Followed by 2 other phone interviews. Laid back interviews, mainly behavioral questions/wanted to know what you knew about the company/strategy. Followed up a couple weeks later with a superday at the corporate headquarters. Had lunch with FAS team members and four 30 minute interviews. Interviews were very laid back. Asked a few technical questions. Mainly focused on the Fama/French Model

Salary Higher than Expected so did not negotiate

Configuration Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Dimensional Fund Advisors in March 2014.

A few phone interviews and then a 3 hour interview with 6 manager and higher level employees. The process began in august of 2013 and I was hired in March of 2017

Interview Questions
    • Fizzbuzz test. Outdated test by a good decade that we've all done before and is now considered a joke.   View Answer
    I was lowballed when the offer finally came. It was corrected when I initially declined.