Direct Agents

Updated Jun 14, 2014

2.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Direct Agents in March 2014.

The interview was easy but they were terrible people to work with. Sketchy, rude, and got back to me late. I didn't like the overall feel of the work area there - everyone was cramped close together without much personal space or room to grow. Good luck.

Paid Search Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Direct Agents in July 2013.

Two interviews: One with recruiter and one with VP of Search Marketing. The recruiter interview was very short, just asked basic questions to garner interest and background. The VP had two brain teasers and was very intimidating. Nothing I said about my background seemed to impress him. Was not a great experience overall

Interview Questions
    • 2 Brain Teasers, one open-ended, one more analytical. The first one was just a brick, asked what you could do with it. The second one involved two empty jugs and filling the jugs so that there was exactly 7gallons in one jug.   Answer Question

SEO Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Direct Agents in December 2012.

I spent half hour with 2 HR managers who asked me in great detail about my previous experience, strengths, weaknesses, career goals, etc. Then another hour with Director of Search, who asked me at least 30 questions - I thought the interrogation would never end! He covered everything: from my day-to-day responsibilities, to specific strategies I use, to my knowledge of technology. There were just a couple of minor things I didn't have experience with, but all in all it seemed like I was a strong fit, at least based on the questions asked and the answers provided. Then there's a third interview with Marketing Director who barely listened to my answers and showed zero interest in the interview outcome. He was mostly interested if I would be able to assist them with sales based on my previous experience. The result: 2 days later they repost the job ad again, so apparently I wasn't what they were looking for. Nor did they have other candidates. I can't even blame it on my salary expectations since they never asked what they were.

Online Sales/Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Direct Agents in May 2010.

Direct Agents is an Online Marketing company in SOHO, New York. The person conducting the interview, let's not name the poor guy, sounded very relaxed, almost non-chalant. I knew this was not going to go well, the company was coming off as "the next big thing" and already a "dude" is calling me. Anyway, I get to the office in SOHO and "the dude' was bleary-eyed, ummm, you know, he was very very relaxed.
    The biggest problem I had was that the person doing thei nterview was very vague as to what one can expect to make at the company, he fumbled through the interview and I actually took control over the entire process because he was just slow talking and seemed out of it. I took at peak into the office and you had a bunch eager 20 somethings piled ontop of one another in an office space. Literally, they were elbow to elbow talking on the phone. I also noticed the owner of the company peered over his desk with an intense scowl on his face. There kind of new, so he probably doesn't know how to manage and just thinks looking mean is the best option. I wouldn't work there but the office looks nice, besides the fact everyone is cramped in. The other problem i had was that on career builder it said "looking for sales rep to manage team. new companies like to put the words "manage" in their ads in hopes of attracting management types, but in now way is this company willing to pay for any management types. They want you on the phones pounding away. the average rep probably makes around 38K a year.

Media Buyer/Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Direct Agents in May 2009.

A preliminary phone interview for under fifteen minutes was the first step. I received a phone call to come in and interview 3 weeks later which consisted of meeting 3 managers on three different teams (Media Buying, Ad Sales, Account Management). I also met with HR and two other people. I followed up over the next two weeks to no avail, and then received an interview to come interview a 2nd time in the office, where I met one of the owners and two of the managers again. Around a week later, I was back in meeting with the owners and one other manager, who said I was likely to get an offer. I finally receieved an offer, literally 28 days later, with a start date two weeks from that point. Total interview process took around 75 days. Though I think it was longer than most, but still much to long.

Interview Questions
    • Describe largest challenges faced in past professional situations and how, in a leadership capacity, you were able to overcome successfully that challene; if you had to do it differently, what would you change and why?   Answer Question
    Negotiate for extra vacation days; I was able to get a few more than their standard 10. Taking days off was frequently difficult over the course of a few years; must put in ample notice of 30+ days to guarantee, but they can be somewhat flexible.

Affiliate Marketing Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Direct Agents in November 2011.

Completely unprofessional and disorganized. a waste of my time. Went through 3 rounds only got a response saying that, they are still evaluating the needs of the company and not sure if they need to hire for position any more. They changed the time of the interviews a couple times and made me wait for at least 30 minutes in between interviews, but the interview only lasts 25 minutes or so. The interview questions are casual and not really about the candidate's professional background or perspectives.

The employee reviews of the company on Glassdoor must be true. Based on the interview experience, it just once again reflects the weak management of the company. The management level is very inexperienced and incompetent. I met with two VPs and one of the founders-- it's not a company with vision or creativity or expertise. If given another 7 years for the company, it will probably still stay at the same level.