Direct Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Gas Gross Margins Interview

Senior Analyst Gas Gross Margins
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Direct Energy in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was submitted for this position by recruiter at Romack. Interview was on June 4, 2014. I interviewed with the manager and director of the group. Before I'd even left the interview with the director, the manager had gone to HR and already "started the ball rolling" towards hiring me. I was submitted by the headhunter at one salary level and on the ride home, the headhunter and I spoke. HR had already asked the headhunter if I would consider taking less for the position. Being very excited about the new opportunity, I said I would go $2,000 lower. I was called the next day or so later by the headhunter and told - they would like to know if you would go lower - you'd be paid more than anyone else in the group at that salary. This was all odd - still no exact offer. I called the headhunter back, left a message and said as much. A few days later I get a call from the headhunter. The offer was for $10,000 less than I was submitted for. The headhunter said she felt so badly about their low ball that she'd give me a $3,000 kick back of her fee. This was on a Friday and she gave me the weekend to think about it. I thought about it and realized I really needed the job, I liked the manager and director. I emailed the headhunter on Saturday and accepted the job. She said she would contact HR at Direct Energy on Monday and let them know. Monday I texted the headhunter and asked if she'd heard anything about a FORMAL offer letter - she said no but hadn't been expecting to so soon. By Friday still no word so I asked the headhunter what was going on. She said she didn't know she had emailed and texted the HR rep several times and gotten no response. She asked me to call the HR rep to see if I could find out what was going on.. REALLY??? I emailed him instead.. Still no reply. Nine days AFTER accepting a VERBAL offer of employment. I received word from the headhunter "Although they extended a verbal offer, unfortunately they are interviewing some additional candidates...I totally understand if you look at other options until they make a decision". Later the headhunter told me she has spoken with the HR rep and he had apparently jumped the gun on making an offer. STAY away from DIRECT ENERGY!!!

Interview Question – Nothing interview was normal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – See above.. It was worse than buying a car. Stay away from this place. Verbal offer was accepted and then I was told HR jumped the gun on making an offer and no formal offer would be extended.

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2013.

Interview Details – I know the manager, We were forced to use an employment agency so my hourly wages were lower then expected because we had to use an the outside agency and they get a portion of my wages per hour.

Interview Question – None questions, I was asked to come to work for them do to my friendship with the manager.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interview Process involved multiple bait and switch from their HR/hiring manager where they lowered the title and pay. Make sure you confirm the title, pay, and bonus structure on the front end. They will short change you otherwise. Get it in writing otherwise tell them you are not interested. Do not trust verbal specifics and confirm any questions you have. ( I wish I had my legal counsel review this prior to accepting)

Interview Question – None, standard behavioral question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR lowered my title and pay from what was posted online(used car dealership) tactic

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process took 2 months

Senior Risk Analyst Interview

Senior Risk Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Direct Energy in September 2011.

Interview Details – Multiple Interviewers. I interviewed with 5. 3 were mostly behavioral and 2 were more technical.

Interview Question – You have a gold mine as an asset. It costs $2000/ounce to pull gold out of the ground and gold currently sells at $1500/ounce . There are no other costs involved with the mine. The only choice available to you is whether or not to pull gold out of the ground or to leave it in the ground.

What is the value of the mine to you? And how do you model the value of the mine?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Shoot high in your negotiations regarding salary. If you accept an offer that you're less than happy with, thinking that you will be able to prove yourself at work and then get a large raise, that won't happen.

You'll be looking at 1-2% annual raises for most of your career, 3-4% if your work is "exceptional".

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview Details – Initial phone call screening by the director and then was called for interview. First round of interview was with 5 people. Was called in for second interview and had interview with four other people. Was called in for a third interview and interviewed 4 people including couple of repeats.

Interview Question – What is volatility and define mathematical representation?   Answer Question

HRIS Analyst Interview

HRIS Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview Details – They called me for a brief phone screening, and I did not hear back from them for another month for another screening for another position. I did not apply for that position so I asked them to email me a description of it. They then schedled me for a face to face interview and sent the position description 2 days later after I called again (day before the interview!). I had about half of the technical experience they required and nothing on my resume indicated otherwise. The interview was pretty much a wast of time for us both.

Interview Question – Tell me about how the HR Business Services relates to the business and other areas of HR   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern
Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2012.

Interview Details – This would be a great company to work for.

Interview Question – What is my favorite excel function?   View Answer

Sales Support Specialist Interview

Sales Support Specialist
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in August 2012.

Interview Details – The initial interview was with an hr rep. Their questions were expected: strengths and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, why Direct Energy? etc.

The second interview is in person. Everyone was polite and the questions were not that difficult. I received constant positive feedback throughout the interview. I was even told that I was one of their top candidates.

Then...nothing. I only received a rejection after contacting the hr department repeatedly. I was never given a reason why after contacting the hiring manager multiple times.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interview consists of one phone interview by HR and one on-site interview with 4 people. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes and the on-site interview lasted the whole morning. Questions are behavior-based and not technical. They asked why DE, why this position, experience at previous job, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Interview Question – Why DE? Why this position?   Answer Question

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!