Direct Energy

37 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in April 2014.

Interview Details – Sent in resume through school recruitment site and also emailed resume to DE recruiter. Received an email a few weeks later asking to schedule an interview that week or the following week. Scheduled interview which lasted about an hour, split between two HR interviewers. Got the offer three weeks later. Had to fill out and return employment and other necessary paperwork. Two weeks later I took a drug test and then started to work the following week.

Interview Questions

Senior Analyst Gas Gross Margins Interview

Senior Analyst Gas Gross Margins
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Direct Energy in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was submitted for this position by recruiter at Romack. Interview was on June 4, 2014. I interviewed with the manager and director of the group. Before I'd even left the interview with the director, the manager had gone to HR and already "started the ball rolling" towards hiring me. I was submitted by the headhunter at one salary level and on the ride home, the headhunter and I spoke. HR had already asked the headhunter if I would consider taking less for the position. Being very excited about the new opportunity, I said I would go $2,000 lower. I was called the next day or so later by the headhunter and told - they would like to know if you would go lower - you'd be paid more than anyone else in the group at that salary. This was all odd - still no exact offer. I called the headhunter back, left a message and said as much. A few days later I get a call from the headhunter. The offer was for $10,000 less than I was submitted for. The headhunter said she felt so badly about their low ball that she'd give me a $3,000 kick back of her fee. This was on a Friday and she gave me the weekend to think about it. I thought about it and realized I really needed the job, I liked the manager and director. I emailed the headhunter on Saturday and accepted the job. She said she would contact HR at Direct Energy on Monday and let them know. Monday I texted the headhunter and asked if she'd heard anything about a FORMAL offer letter - she said no but hadn't been expecting to so soon. By Friday still no word so I asked the headhunter what was going on. She said she didn't know she had emailed and texted the HR rep several times and gotten no response. She asked me to call the HR rep to see if I could find out what was going on.. REALLY??? I emailed him instead.. Still no reply. Nine days AFTER accepting a VERBAL offer of employment. I received word from the headhunter "Although they extended a verbal offer, unfortunately they are interviewing some additional candidates...I totally understand if you look at other options until they make a decision". Later the headhunter told me she has spoken with the HR rep and he had apparently jumped the gun on making an offer. STAY away from DIRECT ENERGY!!!

Interview Question – Nothing interview was normal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – See above.. It was worse than buying a car. Stay away from this place. Verbal offer was accepted and then I was told HR jumped the gun on making an offer and no formal offer would be extended.

Inbound Customer Service Interview

Inbound Customer Service
Tempe, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Direct Energy in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online with company following advice from friend who knew someone working there. Filled out simple online application and attached summary resume, rather than my overwhelming 30 years-plus experience as an Exec Admin Asst.
Received email to complete a Predictive Index, which compares personality traits you think employers expect of you vs what you think your personality traits actually are. After this, received email to set phone appointment online, along with additional information regarding the job and company information.
Interviewed by phone for a few minutes with standard questions such as why did you leave your last employer and why would you want to work for our company. The interviewer set date and time for an in-person meeting the next day and emailed me their official application to complete and bring with me. Part of the application asked for hand writing samples by answering 2 questions, "Why are you interested for working for Direct Energy?" and "Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this position?"
Then I met with 2 male supervisors who had a recommended script of questions to present. It pertained to the type of actual inbound business they receive there and for young people who could not yet related to be homeowners, there would be some teachable moments. Since I have been a consumer who has made the same type of calls as their customers, my interview was easy.
They had me sit with an actual employee and listen/observe calls for several minutes, since the last time I worked in a call center, the phone company was still using plug-in cords and answering "Operator" when you dialed zero!
I confirmed I would enjoy the job and they said I was hired and to expect online information for a background and drug check. I filled in and sent the data for the background check [not as long as for security clearance with the government]
I reported to a lab for a urinanalysis.

Interview Question – For me, "Why did you leave your last job?" has been the most difficult for all the jobs I've applied for for the last 18 months, because I was terminated [without good cause] after 15 years with the same Firm.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Before you agree to set a phone appointment, you are provided with specific job information including the hourly rate.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design/Estimator Interview

Design/Estimator
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Direct Energy in October 2013.

Interview Details – be upfront with your plans on working with the company

Interview Question – way did you chose us   Answer Question

Good Question Changed Daily Interview

Good Question Changed Daily

Interviewed at Direct Energy

Interview Details – Interview was standard. Generic.

Interview Question – There wasn't one.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2013.

Interview Details – I know the manager, We were forced to use an employment agency so my hourly wages were lower then expected because we had to use an the outside agency and they get a portion of my wages per hour.

Interview Question – None questions, I was asked to come to work for them do to my friendship with the manager.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in June 2011.

Interview Details – Interview Process involved multiple bait and switch from their HR/hiring manager where they lowered the title and pay. Make sure you confirm the title, pay, and bonus structure on the front end. They will short change you otherwise. Get it in writing otherwise tell them you are not interested. Do not trust verbal specifics and confirm any questions you have. ( I wish I had my legal counsel review this prior to accepting)

Interview Question – None, standard behavioral question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR lowered my title and pay from what was posted online(used car dealership) tactic

Inbound Sales Customer Service Interview

Inbound Sales Customer Service
Tempe, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview Details – As of now the phone interview went flawless. Seems like a good fit for me.

Interview Question – Essay questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Direct Energy in March 2009.

Interview Details – apply online, wait for a call

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Direct Energy in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process took 2 months

Interviews for Top Jobs at Direct Energy

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!