Direct Energy Interview Questions

2.5

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Direct Energy in September 2014.

Initially received a phone call from HR. HR scheduled phone conversation with hiring manager. HR then scheduled in person interview. Met with 4-5 people during interview. Received verbal offer from HR 4 days later, gave me less than 24 hours to respond to offer. Everyone I spoke to was friendly, warm, and inviting. Everyone I spoke to seemed to like working here. Environment is a busy, shared table environment.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you handle working with someone who is very aggressive and someone who is very passive.   Answer Question

Salary

Analyst Interview

Very laid back and open style of interview. 3 different managers were part of the interview process. typical types of questions. I.E. strengths, weakness, long term goals. Each person had a little bit different interview style so it didn't seem that repetitive as you might think,

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a scenario where you had a confrontation with a co worker and how it was resolved   Answer Question

Senior Scheduling Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Direct Energy in December 2013.

Interviewed for a position that it was known would be moved out of state. I was very clear I could not move out of state and informed the interviewers of this and was clear I had another offer from a different company that could guarantee Houston. I stressed I was a single mom and needed job security and I was assured I would be kept on, just moved to a different department. 2 of the 3 who interviewed me knew this was not true and had already found positions with other companies.

I had a phenomenal agency working for me so negotiation was not an issue for me.

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Direct Energy in August 2013.

Initial Interview was very brief--too brief. Second Interview was long and a group setting--they wanted all of my identifying information right then and there... social security number, everything. I denied them that. Initiation/training was good for a bit... then the trainer invited two of us into his apartment. This company is unethical and sketchy. You can't go to a nice neighborhood and canvas, you go to poor ones... so you can take advantage of desperation. Do not fall for this. I almost did until I spoke to my father about it and he demanded that I not take the job as it is blatantly taking advantage of less fortunate people. They are offering a fixed rate on energy. But what happens when the market drops? You are still paying that higher amount. Keep that in mind. Let this be a warning to consumers as well. Also the one of the guys in charge of hiring has DWI charges on google.

Senior Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Direct Energy in August 2012.

Mostly questions related to specific and relevant experience as well as behavioral questions. Be prepared to give specific examples. Friendly collaborative interview environment, most likely to determine fit into the company culture. Interviewed with 4 team members and manager. Overall process took less than 10 days from interview scheduling to offer.

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy.

There were four people interviewing one after another. Two of them didn't ask too many questions and just told me about the company. They asked stuff like why do you want to get into the energy industry, and what do you think you can add to this company. Mainly questions to get to you know you.

Interview Questions
    • How long would it take you to tie all the shoes in the city and how would you do it?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Direct Energy in April 2014.

Sent in resume through school recruitment site and also emailed resume to DE recruiter. Received an email a few weeks later asking to schedule an interview that week or the following week. Scheduled interview which lasted about an hour, split between two HR interviewers. Got the offer three weeks later. Had to fill out and return employment and other necessary paperwork. Two weeks later I took a drug test and then started to work the following week.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with conflict?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Gas Gross Margins Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Direct Energy in June 2014.

Was submitted for this position by recruiter at Romack. Interview was on June 4, 2014. I interviewed with the manager and director of the group. Before I'd even left the interview with the director, the manager had gone to HR and already "started the ball rolling" towards hiring me. I was submitted by the headhunter at one salary level and on the ride home, the headhunter and I spoke. HR had already asked the headhunter if I would consider taking less for the position. Being very excited about the new opportunity, I said I would go $2,000 lower. I was called the next day or so later by the headhunter and told - they would like to know if you would go lower - you'd be paid more than anyone else in the group at that salary. This was all odd - still no exact offer. I called the headhunter back, left a message and said as much. A few days later I get a call from the headhunter. The offer was for $10,000 less than I was submitted for. The headhunter said she felt so badly about their low ball that she'd give me a $3,000 kick back of her fee. This was on a Friday and she gave me the weekend to think about it. I thought about it and realized I really needed the job, I liked the manager and director. I emailed the headhunter on Saturday and accepted the job. She said she would contact HR at Direct Energy on Monday and let them know. Monday I texted the headhunter and asked if she'd heard anything about a FORMAL offer letter - she said no but hadn't been expecting to so soon. By Friday still no word so I asked the headhunter what was going on. She said she didn't know she had emailed and texted the HR rep several times and gotten no response. She asked me to call the HR rep to see if I could find out what was going on.. REALLY??? I emailed him instead.. Still no reply. Nine days AFTER accepting a VERBAL offer of employment. I received word from the headhunter "Although they extended a verbal offer, unfortunately they are interviewing some additional candidates...I totally understand if you look at other options until they make a decision". Later the headhunter told me she has spoken with the HR rep and he had apparently jumped the gun on making an offer. STAY away from DIRECT ENERGY!!!

Interview Questions
    See above.. It was worse than buying a car. Stay away from this place. Verbal offer was accepted and then I was told HR jumped the gun on making an offer and no formal offer would be extended.

Inbound Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Direct Energy in April 2014.

Applied online with company following advice from friend who knew someone working there. Filled out simple online application and attached summary resume, rather than my overwhelming 30 years-plus experience as an Exec Admin Asst.
    Received email to complete a Predictive Index, which compares personality traits you think employers expect of you vs what you think your personality traits actually are. After this, received email to set phone appointment online, along with additional information regarding the job and company information.
    Interviewed by phone for a few minutes with standard questions such as why did you leave your last employer and why would you want to work for our company. The interviewer set date and time for an in-person meeting the next day and emailed me their official application to complete and bring with me. Part of the application asked for hand writing samples by answering 2 questions, "Why are you interested for working for Direct Energy?" and "Why do you feel you would be a good fit for this position?"
    Then I met with 2 male supervisors who had a recommended script of questions to present. It pertained to the type of actual inbound business they receive there and for young people who could not yet related to be homeowners, there would be some teachable moments. Since I have been a consumer who has made the same type of calls as their customers, my interview was easy.
    They had me sit with an actual employee and listen/observe calls for several minutes, since the last time I worked in a call center, the phone company was still using plug-in cords and answering "Operator" when you dialed zero!
    I confirmed I would enjoy the job and they said I was hired and to expect online information for a background and drug check. I filled in and sent the data for the background check [not as long as for security clearance with the government]
    I reported to a lab for a urinanalysis.

Interview Questions
    • For me, "Why did you leave your last job?" has been the most difficult for all the jobs I've applied for for the last 18 months, because I was terminated [without good cause] after 15 years with the same Firm.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. Before you agree to set a phone appointment, you are provided with specific job information including the hourly rate.

Design/Estimator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Direct Energy in October 2013.

be upfront with your plans on working with the company

Interview Questions

Worked for Direct Energy? Contribute to the Community!