Direct Energy Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.5

Manager Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online through their website, and I received an e-mail from their recruiter. Even though he wanted to talk to me "ASAP", he did not follow-up with me after my e-mail reply and voicemail message for another week. As it is expected during these "screening" calls, the overall presentation of this recruiter left me with the impression that he was either too overwhelmed with work or simply trying to fill his quota of interviews. I did not like the lack of interpersonal skills, and it was somewhat insulting in the manner in which he presented some of his questions such as my tenure in other companies. Personally, I am less than impressed with their lack of follow-up and follow-through. If the recruiting experience is this disorganized, impersonal, and rushed, I can only imagine how terrible their corporate cultural experience once inside.

Interview Questions

• We went over my previous experience, how my management skills would be a good fit for their role, and why I applied for that opportunity at their company--standard questions, really.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview

Not rigorous, but more detailed then other companies. Interviewing managers, H/R not as personable, but pretty ordinary. I would recommend being prepared t o wait long periods of time for updates on status of decision.

Interview Questions

• My goals and ambitions for the future   1 Answer

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

Phone Interview, 2 hour 3 person interview, final 2 person 2 hour interview. Mostly personality based, with a few technical questions about finance. Took course over 3 weeks. Lots of engagement. Did not use a head hunter.

Interview Questions

• Reason for coming to new company, leadership characteristics, experience, normal questions.   Answer Question

Human Resources Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview

I was first phone screened by their recruiting department. Then I had a phone interview with my potential boss. I was brought in for three rounds of interviews and met with quite a few people in HR (not the leaders I'd be supporting). It really gave me the chance to get exposure to people I'd be working, ask questions and determine if it would be a good fit. Overall, very competent team and people I'd enjoy working with.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied through the website and was called about 3 weeks later to come in for a round of interviews. Spoke to 4 people and it took the whole morning. They require you to fill out a very detail application before you come to interview. In the application you have to provide your personal information, SSN, your addresses in the past 7 years, your history, references, etc. It does take time to fill out and send back to them. The interview itself was OK, everybody acted like they were really impressed with my qualifications and like I was a great fit. They seemed like nice people. The office set up is open, no cubicles or offices, which is not really something that I like. You know how some companies never get back to the people they interviewed? This is one of them. I didn't get any business cards from the interviewers and had to contact an HR person I never saw, a couple of weeks later about the status. I was told that they're not done with the first round of interviews yet and they would get back to me with the status. I didn't even expect that there would be another round after going through such a lengthy process. I had to check back with them myself weeks later. I knew I was not getting a job, but felt like maybe they should have bothered enough to let me know after I interviewed and spent my time on the process. So I got a very dry, template-type rejection response. Turns out this is a kind of "communication" to expect from Direct Energy after you spent 3 hours in their office, impressing people and getting positive feedback and after sending them a lot of paperwork with your background and personal information. This is disrespectful, guys! You, as a company, are disrespectful and I won't be using your services. Good luck trying to compete on good customer service, because you cannot really compete on price either. You're making it difficult for you door to door sales people.

Tax Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview

Hired through VOLT. Was set up to meet with Tax Manager the next day morning and interviewed about 30 minutes. Know the result the same day in the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult situation you ever encountered and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation at all. They offered and I received.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Went to their info session the evening before interview selection process on campus. Got chosen for the interview on campus. There was only one on campus interview. Interviewer was very nice and talkative.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

Started with recruiter then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. We had the call during off hours which was great and thanks!! Interview questions seemed pretty standard and he asked technical processes about my current role. I wasn't sure about the company at first but he did a good job of getting me interested in the company after. I didn't like how he kept referring to the department as his people. Not sure how healthy it really is when he talks like that. He decided to go with other candidates that have specific experience he is looking for.

Tradings Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Direct Energy (Houston, TX).

Interview

Initial interview on campus with recruiters. Received emails a few weeks later that I would be flying to Houston for 2nd round interview. Interview consisted of 1 group case study, 1 individual case study , and a behavioral interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you felt you did not give your best effort.   Answer Question

Inbound Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Direct Energy.

Interview

Brief phone screen, where I was asked basic interview questions, such as what are my short and long-term plans, past experience, etc. After the interview, I was told I would be contacted in a couple of days, regarding the next step. I received a email informing me thy they would proceed with other candidates.