Direct Line Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.2

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dickson, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Dickson, TN) in December 2011.

Interview

The initial contact was via online application. From that point it involved a 1:1 with the owner-president and then followed by a 1:1 with the VP of sales. Both meetings took approximately 90 minutes and were followed up with additional interviews that were similar. There were no skills tests or background investigations prior to the offer. I confirmed that information from my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure the sales staff stays on target with production?   Answer Question
    • You'll be essentially a project manager for our largest customer who's onsite. How comfortable are you with external management and daily, high, customer demands?   Answer Question

Very disorganized. The owner was more interested in wanting to know what others thought about him (in a negative way) and the VP of sales was difficult to get any feedback from (a salesperson, yep, right). All in all the environment needed major overhauls and the good ol' boy mentality of paying management more rather than spreading pay to improve a structure was in play. They both openly spoke negatively about their entire staff's compentency and the future of the company. I have sympathy for employees working there and they have no idea......

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group.

Interview

I applied online. Had a phone interview a week later which was 30mins and are based around motivations for the company and the role, and DLG's values. I then had an assessment centre a couple of weeks later consisting of a case study, presentation, one-to-one interview, and a group exercise. They were very clear about what to expect on the assessment day, so I had an idea of what/how to prepare for it.

Interview Questions

• Why DLG? Why Pricing? Values/competency based questions Problem solving question: Estimate how many people travel on the underground in a week   Answer Question

Home Claims & Travel Claims Adviser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Direct Line Group.

Interview

For a job that's paying people £14,770, they sure want you to jump through some hoops to get the distinct honour of working for them. After an online competency assessment, online application and cv submission, I was finally booked in for a telephone interview 9 days later. As if the test and cv weren't enough, there were more competency questions to evaluate my skills. I found this to be a rather tedious practice and a little bit of a waste of time since I was then told places wouldn't become available for another month. Answering stupid questions isn't something I enjoy doing often, but these sort of places seem to enjoy asking you annoying, seemingly pointless questions that are regarding someone else instead of focussing on the person they are speaking to.

Interview Questions

• Get to know what the job you are applying is first before taking the call. This must be a general understanding but the inevitable questions "Why do you want to work here" does come up. So relating your pre existing skills to the job specs is key. How do you handle deadlines. Give an example of a time YOU received great customer service from someone else. Not a time YOU gave great customer service, which would be too easy. They go through your previous jobs on your CV and ask what you liked and disliked about the jobs. It was a basic stage but I guess I just wasn't feeling the 4 stages, screening and tests when I have all the tools necessary and gauging someone's skills based on their own words should be redundant by now in favour of what is on your CV and from employer references. Still feels like unproductive ways to get good people to work for you. I obviously didn't want to work there so my mind was unable to give good examples. Oh well.   Answer Question

Leadership Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bromley, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied via LinkedIn and was telephone screened by internal recruitment consultant. Asked the standard questions about my experience, expectations and availability. I beleive what got me the interview were the questions I asked him about the role, company culture and challages faced by the potential role holder. Face to face interview with hiring manager but no-one else. Was easy going and relaxed but lacked any structure, although he did read from a booklet whilst at the same time criticising the questions. Questions included Why Direct Line, How to demonstrate ROI, How you would approach the job in your first few days.

Interview Questions

• The questions that through me were the incredibly specific ones, tell me about a time when you developed a level 2 leader whilst on a development programme that you designed.... Well I had never done this or claimed to have done it so fell at the first hurdle really.   Answer Question

Claims Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

Then face to face interview. There is no tour and it doesn't last for 3 hours like it says on the email, just one hour. The main questions were competency based questions, i.e. 'tell me about a time when...' which were directly related to their values. Each competency question was then followed by a 'hypothetical' question, i.e., 'what would you do if'... Revise the values, and definitely prepare an answer to each one. But no need to memorise every sub statement of the values, as the interviewer will read them out word for word. So, 1. Do the right thing - Can you tell me about a time that you calmed down an angry or upset customer? - How would you respond to a customer who is very upset/agitated on the phone, but insists of carrying on the conversation? 2. Aim higher - Can you tell me about a time that you failed to reach a target? - What would you do if a new member of the team was not reaching their individual or team targets? - How do you cope with difficulties of working under pressure? 3. Work together - Can you tell me about a time that you had to work as a group to achieve a goal? - How would you help a new team member who wasn't integrating well into the team? 1. Do the right thing For the first half of the question, I mentioned that I sought advice from two of my colleagues who had expertise in a particular area, despite one being in a different department and one being my senior. For the second half of the question, I answered that I would do what the customer wanted in this case, given the difficult nature of the situation (you need to show sensitivity and understanding and solution-focussed which would help.) 2. Aim higher I gave an example for failing to meet a deadline, which she said was okay. This is good if you are a graduate and don't have a lot of experience of targets. My answer was that I misread when a deadline was and in the future I always checked and double checked when the deadlines were. It was a somewhat weak answer, as I could've brought in that poor time management contributed (though I did mention there was a lot going on at the end of the year, you have to be explicit in interviews). Should've mentioned ways that I improved my time management. A general positive of the interview was that you were allowed to draw on non work as well as work examples (though I do believe work examples make for a stronger candidate), ask to come back to a question, or ask for a different question if you really don't have an answer! 3. Work together Again I gave a university example, a group project. I caught myself saying 'we' a lot, so switched to I! This is what they want. I gave several points of what I did (persuaded others to my idea, adjusted and compromised, volunteered my particular strengths). They are looking for you to leverage either your own skills or those of others. Make sure the R part of your answer is something noteworthy (for example, our project came first as voted for by our peers) as this will emphasise experience and show high standards. The next part was the role play where the remaining values were tested. Remember this is what they're assessing against and prepare a sentence which clearly shows you are exemplifying this value. For example, take ownership. If the customer is disgruntled with someone she spoke to earlier, apologise and say that you are going to resolve that for her now. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• They will ask a couple of questions about your insurance, claims, motor knowledge etc. but these are not assessed.   Answer Question

SAS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Leeds, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

Interview and hiring process is very straight forward. Just one interview to check the basic technical skills. HR is very helpful in assisting you with paperwork after you accept the offer.

Negotiation

It is pretty straight forward. The company shared median salary for the profile and offered 20% more than the median

Customer Service: Home Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Bristol, England (UK)) in June 2013.

Interview

I was made aware of the position by a friend and applied online via their website (however such jobs can also be found on job search sites). The application included a personality test where I had to choose which traits were my strengths (even if they were not conflicting e.g Confident Vs Giving presentations). I completed this on a Friday and on Monday morning I received a phone call to book me in for a phone interview. It was suggested I do some research on the company and the role so I had the Direct Line 'About Us' webpage and the job description in front of me during the phone call which was useful. I was asked questions such as why I wanted the job and why I had chosen Direct Line over other employers. After 15 minutes he put me on hold for 2minutes and then invited me for an interview (I was able to choose the day). When I met others at the interview they told me they had received feedback on their phone interview but I had received none. The Interview was a week later and I had printed and memorised about every page on their website to prepare. I arrived and was grouped with 2 others who also had the hour slot. A woman then took our documents (such as passport) to photocopy. Then the three of us met all the interviewers and were given an 'intro' where the woman read us word to word the Direct Line website (so any preparation like this is a waste of time!). The three of us were then separated and had individual interviews. The questions were in the 'give me a time where you.....?' format and where related to their Values and Beliefs which can be found on their website (so do look up those to get the gist of what answers they want). After that I had a test related to the job, I had to role play a telephone call with a customer who wanted to update their insurance policy and I had to sell them something extra. It was very easy, it was more about how you got the answers from the fake caller than the questions, as long as you had an answer to write down and asked in a polite manner you will be fine. After that I was given a tour of the building which was nice and the interviewer really tried to sell the job. The interview was supposed to last 3 hours but only lasted and hour and a half for me. 2 Hours later they rang me and offered me the role. They later emailed me the details.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you changed something within a company for the better?   Answer Question

It wasn't for me

Expenses Reporting Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (London, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

Got an initial call from the Talent Recruitment team.He has seen my CV on the reed website and wanted to invite me in for an interview. I went for the interview and met up with 2 other people. It was more of a competency interview and I discussed my experience in relation to the job description. I had the interview on the 24th May 2013 and received feedback on the 14th June 2013

Interview Questions

• I found the interview process very easy and I was in control. There was no question that I found difficult   Answer Question

MI Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pudsey, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Direct Line Group (Pudsey, England (UK)) in May 2013.

Interview

Had an interview at Pudsey office of - Green Flag Building. As part of the process, had a telephone interview before getting selected for face to face interview. All competancy based questions around skills and experience as well as a simple test to analyse a Chart and provide some description.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of Best and Worst customer service experience   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

The process takes a three stage interview, quite often they will prefer to do a telephone interview initially before calling you in. Once you have passed that then you will be called within 3 days to arrange an interview for the hiring manager face to face and often their boss. Who will look at your background and assess how you fit into the organisation. On the final interview you may be asked for some minor online test tasks but are very simple, they just want to see how you are with certain standard Microsoft applications.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult stakeholders when you think you know you are right and they are advising you to do something that is incorrect, but they are not listening.   Answer Question

I'd heard bad reviews of working in the organisation and got a better offer elsewhere