Direct Line (UK)

Relevance Date Difficulty

General Manager Interview

General Manager
Dickson, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Direct Line (UK) in December 2011.

Interview Details – The initial contact was via online application. From that point it involved a 1:1 with the owner-president and then followed by a 1:1 with the VP of sales.

Both meetings took approximately 90 minutes and were followed up with additional interviews that were similar. There were no skills tests or background investigations prior to the offer. I confirmed that information from my previous employer.

Interview Questions

• How will you ensure the sales staff stays on target with production?   Answer Question
  • You'll be essentially a project manager for our largest customer who's onsite. How comfortable are you with external management and daily, high, customer demands?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Very disorganized. The owner was more interested in wanting to know what others thought about him (in a negative way) and the VP of sales was difficult to get any feedback from (a salesperson, yep, right).

All in all the environment needed major overhauls and the good ol' boy mentality of paying management more rather than spreading pay to improve a structure was in play. They both openly spoke negatively about their entire staff's compentency and the future of the company.

I have sympathy for employees working there and they have no idea......

Customer Service: Home Service Consultant Interview

Customer Service: Home Service Consultant
Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Direct Line (UK) in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was made aware of the position by a friend and applied online via their website (however such jobs can also be found on job search sites). The application included a personality test where I had to choose which traits were my strengths (even if they were not conflicting e.g Confident Vs Giving presentations). I completed this on a Friday and on Monday morning I received a phone call to book me in for a phone interview. It was suggested I do some research on the company and the role so I had the Direct Line 'About Us' webpage and the job description in front of me during the phone call which was useful. I was asked questions such as why I wanted the job and why I had chosen Direct Line over other employers. After 15 minutes he put me on hold for 2minutes and then invited me for an interview (I was able to choose the day). When I met others at the interview they told me they had received feedback on their phone interview but I had received none.

The Interview was a week later and I had printed and memorised about every page on their website to prepare. I arrived and was grouped with 2 others who also had the hour slot. A woman then took our documents (such as passport) to photocopy. Then the three of us met all the interviewers and were given an 'intro' where the woman read us word to word the Direct Line website (so any preparation like this is a waste of time!). The three of us were then separated and had individual interviews. The questions were in the 'give me a time where you.....?' format and where related to their Values and Beliefs which can be found on their website (so do look up those to get the gist of what answers they want). After that I had a test related to the job, I had to role play a telephone call with a customer who wanted to update their insurance policy and I had to sell them something extra. It was very easy, it was more about how you got the answers from the fake caller than the questions, as long as you had an answer to write down and asked in a polite manner you will be fine. After that I was given a tour of the building which was nice and the interviewer really tried to sell the job. The interview was supposed to last 3 hours but only lasted and hour and a half for me. 2 Hours later they rang me and offered me the role. They later emailed me the details.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you changed something within a company for the better?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It wasn't for me

MI Analyst Interview

MI Analyst
Pudsey, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Direct Line (UK) in May 2013.

Interview Details – Had an interview at Pudsey office of - Green Flag Building. As part of the process, had a telephone interview before getting selected for face to face interview. All competancy based questions around skills and experience as well as a simple test to analyse a Chart and provide some description.

Interview Question – Give an example of Best and Worst customer service experience   Answer Question

Expenses Reporting Manager Interview

Expenses Reporting Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Direct Line (UK) in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got an initial call from the Talent Recruitment team.He has seen my CV on the reed website and wanted to invite me in for an interview.
I went for the interview and met up with 2 other people. It was more of a competency interview and I discussed my experience in relation to the job description.
I had the interview on the 24th May 2013 and received feedback on the 14th June 2013

Interview Question – I found the interview process very easy and I was in control. There was no question that I found difficult   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Direct Line (UK)

Interview Details – The process takes a three stage interview, quite often they will prefer to do a telephone interview initially before calling you in. Once you have passed that then you will be called within 3 days to arrange an interview for the hiring manager face to face and often their boss. Who will look at your background and assess how you fit into the organisation. On the final interview you may be asked for some minor online test tasks but are very simple, they just want to see how you are with certain standard Microsoft applications.

Interview Question – How do you deal with difficult stakeholders when you think you know you are right and they are advising you to do something that is incorrect, but they are not listening.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'd heard bad reviews of working in the organisation and got a better offer elsewhere

Programmer Manager Interview

Programmer Manager

Interviewed at Direct Line (UK)

Interview Details – internal recruitment team make contact via linked in. interviews are then a round of panel interviews. comunication between interviews sporadic and disorganised

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Strategy Manager Interview

Strategy Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Direct Line (UK) in March 2012.

Interview Details – The first contact was a phone interview (I had been referred to the job) with the head of the department where he told me about the opportunities and asked general CV questions.

This was followed by one day of 1:1 personal interviews with the head of the department and 3 strategy managers. The first interview was a recap on the company and plans for the future, the second interview was a deep-dive on the CV (e.g., detail what you did here and there, outcomes, responsibilities), third a case study with typical consulting questions (e.g., number of phone booths in UK, a company XYZ is planning to invest X Million - is that a good idea? detail the thought process and do so quick calculations), the fourth was more of a Q&A session but didn't seem to have much purpose to be honest (probably a red flag there!)

I was asked to wait for 2-3 weeks before getting their final answer (no offer), I guess they were probably comparing candidates during that time.

Overall, I had a good feeling about the team (15-20 people) and the company. Everybody seemed very nice, engaged, and interested in continuing to develop the company as they split from RBS. The office has a canteen and the location is good (Bromley, 15-20min from London, 1stop by strain). On the flip side, I felt the roles were not clear for the strategy team members - everybody doing a bit of everything, in a pool environment -, and there didn't seem to be any women around (other than secretaries arranging for the meetings).

Worked for Direct Line (UK)? Contribute to the Community!