DirectBuy

Updated Aug 13, 2014
Updated Aug 13, 2014

1.8

Appointment Setter/Outbound Call Center Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at DirectBuy.

It is a group interview. You are first introduced to your prospective immediate manager, who will then speak with you individually to basically get to know you and figure out basically what would motivate you to become an employee. This process is similar to the sales process they use, so it's pretty persuasive if you are not an experienced salesperson.

You then go to a group interview where you are basically sold on the benefits of DirectBuy membership and told that you will be setting appointments for people to come in and join as members. You will also get access as if you were a member just for working (a good perk).

The only part that I did not agree with was how they pitched expected income. They made it seem like you'd make a lot more than you would. I would take whatever number they quote and expect to make 70% of it if you're doing good.

Interview Questions
    Non-negotiable. Salary and other terms are inflexible.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Mill, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at DirectBuy in July 2013.

I filled out the application. I called to check on it and he requested me to come in that same day for the interview. I started with three others. The management team is awesome and I enjoy my job. The environment is always upbeat, and everyone is very respectful and always willing to help. Everyone is always happy and that makes it even more awesome because no stress happy people make everyday a wonderful day.

Interview Questions
    • When the consumer wants to know how much the memberships are, and we do not have that information because there are several different things it depends on.   View Answer
    I enjoy helping others and I am a people person. Along the perks that I would receive on top of my hourly pay. Also I got and awesome vibe about the people from the start.

Call Center Outbound Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DirectBuy in February 2013.

I saw a posting on a job board website that stated outbound customer service reps needed no experience and no drug testing.I called the number and was set up with an phone interview with the recruiter. She sent me a script and I read the script to her and answered some pretty easy questions for her. I also took a data entry test that i had to pass. I was then set up for a face to face interview. When I arrived there I was told to fill out an appliciation which was expected the recruiter told me to arrive 15 mins early to fill out the application. After that she took me into the room and asked me some question such as what do you know about directbuy..I was instructed by the recruiter to read up on them. I told her my answer..She then told me about directbuy and the job..which she told me was not a customer service position but a sales position of some sort..I would be calling people to get them to come in to direct buy to view a presentation about direct buy.once they view they presentation there are suppose to be so moved that they buy a 5500 dollar membership to their company..in which when you are hired you recieve a commission for those memberships. I read a script for the manager she asked me did I have any questions and that was it.

Merchandise Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merrillville, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DirectBuy in April 2012.

When you first get there you will take a basic timed math test, basically it's how many problems you can finish correctly in 10 minutes. You are interviewed by two people... the first manager that needs someone to fill the position within her team and then if she likes you, you will go on to interview with her boss. It's a nice place to work, just unstable work environment as they go through massive lay-offs every year and hire cheaper people. If you got offered the job, I'd honestly pass it up... it's stable job, they will lay you off when you least expect it. The people that are still there, are just waiting for something better to come along.

Interview Questions
    • Simple interview, tell them about your previous jobs and types of situations. Either you know how to answer the questions or you don't, it's a no brainer.   Answer Question

Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at DirectBuy in April 2012.

Job was represented online as a Director position, but is actually a simple sales / presentation position. Salary was described as $60,000, which was untrue. Actual job was commission-only. Very old-school capture, present and offer high dollar limited time deal. Felt like slimy used car sales operation. I would not recommend to anyone over 25 years of age.

Interview Questions

Commission only after described online as $60k salary. For any company to expect professional sales people to work for free is unbelievable. Everyone else in the building gets paid to show up. Sales people get paid only for result, yet have no control over the qualification process, the product, the price, nor the closing. Ridiculously outdated system - my guess is these guys fail within the next 2-3 years. Bay area stores already closed. This system and company has numerous sketch reviews online by people who attended their presentations. I just don't see the model working well.

Telecommunications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Syracuse, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at DirectBuy in November 2011.

I had two interviews and was hired

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at DirectBuy in February 2011.

The interview consisted of sitting with a group of other applicants and reading the script for the outbound cold calls. You had to be comfortable reading the script and role-playing with one of the interviewers (there were 2) through the call right there in the room in front of everyone else. It seemed as though anyone that could read clearly and stay coherent through the script was hired.

Interview Questions
    • The only "question" was simply being called on to read.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. The salary is $8.00/hr. with a $2.00/hr. bonus as long as you are on time and present every day of the pay period (2 per month). The commissions come in the form of memberships signed as a result of your booking appointments for prospects to come in for a tour/presentation.

Interior Designrt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at DirectBuy in May 2010.

The interview was odd, but fun. None traditional questions, some borderline inappropriate. All in all, easy interview process. I sat in an office with the store manager and the owner. Joked around a little, it was very informal. And I felt comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, but did not expect "What does your spouse do for a living?"   View Answer
    No negotiation phase. It is what it is.

Outgoing Calls Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at DirectBuy in August 2009.

they make you wait a real long time in their reception area and then take you to the back and feed you a bunch of bs on how big of an opportunity the place is the whole time you feel your skin crawl/ you then get hired all of the sudden because their turn over is so high, until of find out why. They treat their employees like trash , they back stab them, cut wages, lie, and the whole entire place is a scam. The only way out for freedom of any kind is to quit.

Interview Questions
    • how much money do you want to make? as if there is a huge opp there so cheesy you feel like they are trying to read you and see how much of a sucker you are   Answer Question
    it was ok i just needed a job, there was really no negotiation

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at DirectBuy in April 2009.

The first interview was a brief phone interview and a set up for a second interview. When I went to the second interview there were a couple other people there too. They explained to the group about the company, what the position was and what we'd be doing, the pay and hours, etc. After that they interviewed us individually. A day or two later I was offered the job and began training with two other girls. The three of us trained for a few days and then each of us was pulled to aside individually by the manager. I was told that there were only two positions and I had got one. After being there a couple of years i noticed they did that every group they hired. They hire more than they need and weed out those not right for job.