Discover

Relevance Date Difficulty

Windows Systems Administrator Interview

Windows Systems Administrator
Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Discover in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was setup by the HR dept. I met with 3 members of the IT team (Manager, Linux admin, and windows admin). They didn't seem to be on the same page with what they were looking for. They explained that there is a lot of crossover and that you would get the necessary training for the other technologies that you weren't as familiar with, yet they focused as much on my Linux, networking and cisco skills as they did on the windows skills. Left there a bit confused as to what they really wanted. I was told by HR rep who showed me around the campus that would hear from them with an answer, no matter if it was yes or no. I am still waiting for that call...

Interview Question – cant think of any that was unexpected. From that standpoint, they were pretty straightforward questions. No silly riddles or brain bench type questions   Answer Question

Director, Customer Insights Interview

Director, Customer Insights
Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Discover in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on-line and was contacted by Discover HR first via email with a list of questions to answer and then scheduled a phone screening interview with the same HR person. Passed on for a phone interview with the incumbent manager about 2 weeks later. Invited to come for on-site interviews which happened about 3 weeks after that.

On-site interview logistics were poorly organized; the date changed once and the starting time on the second date also changed the day of. The person who was supposed to pick me up from the lobby never showed and eventually they found someone else to get me. The first scheduled interviewer was actually out of the country and most other interviewers ran at least 15 minutes late.

Interviews were fairly short for the most part and questions were as expected (work history and experiences, how translate to this role, etc.). HR manager told me to expect feedback within 1-4 business days later. However, despite 2 follow-up emails after that within a 3-week period, never heard anything back. Extremely bad form to invest that much (on both ends) and not even give the courtesy of a response.

Interview Question – How would you make customer insights part of the DNA of Discover?   Answer Question

Senior Associate, Campaign Management Interview

Senior Associate, Campaign Management
Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Discover in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and it took a while to get an interview. I actually forgot I applied. I had a specialized position so the interviews were quick and to the point. Everything took a week, which is very different from what is being done now.

Interview Question – None were too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was strong and didn't need to negotiate. I was pretty clear with what I wanted and they met it.

Senior Associate Interview

Senior Associate
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Discover in February 2014.

Interview Details – Internal reference. Called twice in that week and in person interview next week. not that hard for phone interview. in person was tricky and a lot of details on SAS and SQL.

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – I met the campus recruiters through the school career fair and attended a networking event shortly after. Had two 30-min interviews, mostly behavioral (but they asked a lot of specific questions about Discover) a few weeks later. After a month of so, I went to headquarters in Chicago, IL for final round interviews. That day consisted of a tour, 2 30-min interviews, 1 case study, a panel of current employees (where we got to ask them questions and a tour. Good experience overall

Interview Question – What (angle) degree do the hands of the clock make at 2:30?   View Answer

MIP Intern Interview

MIP Intern
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Discover in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round is two 30-45 minute on campus interviews that consists of primarily behavioral questions with a couple brain teasers and one market sizing case question. The second and final round is at the Riverwoods headquarters and has an hour long group case and two more strictly behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – The market sizing interview question was the hardest and a bit unexpected for a marketing role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for me, it was a pretty standard offer.

Senior IT Audit Interview

Senior IT Audit
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Discover in March 2010.

Interview Details – Typical situational questions, followed up with Audit experience.

Negotiation Details – HR would not budge

Senior Associate Programming Interview

Senior Associate Programming
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – Was hired right out of school. Had one in person interview during the day at the campus. Received an offer a week later.

Interview Question – I did not find the questions difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was right out of school and happy to get any job so I accepted the first offer they gave. It came with a sign on bonus of $2000.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Discover in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Recruiter, HR and with hiring manager, all went very well. Follow up interview in person with hiring manager did not go as well. She kept me waiting for over 45 minutes in the middle of a huge snow storm and once the meeting began she seemed distracted and only asked me a couple of questions, which were out of the ordinary and could have been answered more completely if I had specific project documentation to support.

Interview Question – Describe the planning process from start to finish.   Answer Question

Operations Internship Program (OIP) Interview

Operations Internship Program (OIP)
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume through my school's career services and then had a phone screen with one of the recruiters. I basically walked her through my resume and then had time at the end to ask questions about Discover, the program, and what sorts of projects interns get to work on. After this there was a super day with a pre-interview dinner one night, and then 3 one-on-one interviews, a group discussion led by one of the recruiters, and a group activity that had us come up with some ideas about how to improve Discover's operations and then present our findings to the current employees. The one-on-ones were mostly behavioral, but one of them had a short case portion that was pretty simple (basic math and reasoning). I actually never even heard back about this position (which was surprising considering they paid to fly people out and put us all in a hotel for the super day), but didn't care to try following up because I found something else. I just thought that was bad etiquette on the part of the recruiters.

Interview Question – The group activity was difficult because it was pretty open-ended and we didn't get much feedback from the observer or the employees who judged our presentation.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Discover

Worked for Discover? Contribute to the Community!

Discover Videos

Discover – Why Work for Us?

We've always believed in giving our customers the best service. When we introduced the first cash rewards credit card in 1986, we committed ourselves to meeting the needs of our cardmembers with the best possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discover interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 60 interview reviews posted anonymously by Discover employees and interview candidates.