Discover

44 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Director, Customer Insights Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Discover in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on-line and was contacted by Discover HR first via email with a list of questions to answer and then scheduled a phone screening interview with the same HR person. Passed on for a phone interview with the incumbent manager about 2 weeks later. Invited to come for on-site interviews which happened about 3 weeks after that.

On-site interview logistics were poorly organized; the date changed once and the starting time on the second date also changed the day of. The person who was supposed to pick me up from the lobby never showed and eventually they found someone else to get me. The first scheduled interviewer was actually out of the country and most other interviewers ran at least 15 minutes late.

Interviews were fairly short for the most part and questions were as expected (work history and experiences, how translate to this role, etc.). HR manager told me to expect feedback within 1-4 business days later. However, despite 2 follow-up emails after that within a 3-week period, never heard anything back. Extremely bad form to invest that much (on both ends) and not even give the courtesy of a response.

Interview Question – How would you make customer insights part of the DNA of Discover?   Answer Question

Senior Associate, Campaign Management Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Discover in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and it took a while to get an interview. I actually forgot I applied. I had a specialized position so the interviews were quick and to the point. Everything took a week, which is very different from what is being done now.

Interview Question – None were too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was strong and didn't need to negotiate. I was pretty clear with what I wanted and they met it.

Marketing Intern Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – I met the campus recruiters through the school career fair and attended a networking event shortly after. Had two 30-min interviews, mostly behavioral (but they asked a lot of specific questions about Discover) a few weeks later. After a month of so, I went to headquarters in Chicago, IL for final round interviews. That day consisted of a tour, 2 30-min interviews, 1 case study, a panel of current employees (where we got to ask them questions and a tour. Good experience overall

Interview Question – What (angle) degree do the hands of the clock make at 2:30?   View Answer

MIP Intern Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Discover in November 2013.

Interview Details – First round is two 30-45 minute on campus interviews that consists of primarily behavioral questions with a couple brain teasers and one market sizing case question. The second and final round is at the Riverwoods headquarters and has an hour long group case and two more strictly behavioral interviews.

Interview Question – The market sizing interview question was the hardest and a bit unexpected for a marketing role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for me, it was a pretty standard offer.

Senior IT Audit Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Discover in March 2010.

Interview Details – Typical situational questions, followed up with Audit experience.

Negotiation Details – HR would not budge

Senior Associate Programming Interview

Senior Associate Programming
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – Was hired right out of school. Had one in person interview during the day at the campus. Received an offer a week later.

Interview Question – I did not find the questions difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was right out of school and happy to get any job so I accepted the first offer they gave. It came with a sign on bonus of $2000.

Operations Internship Program (OIP) Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume through my school's career services and then had a phone screen with one of the recruiters. I basically walked her through my resume and then had time at the end to ask questions about Discover, the program, and what sorts of projects interns get to work on. After this there was a super day with a pre-interview dinner one night, and then 3 one-on-one interviews, a group discussion led by one of the recruiters, and a group activity that had us come up with some ideas about how to improve Discover's operations and then present our findings to the current employees. The one-on-ones were mostly behavioral, but one of them had a short case portion that was pretty simple (basic math and reasoning). I actually never even heard back about this position (which was surprising considering they paid to fly people out and put us all in a hotel for the super day), but didn't care to try following up because I found something else. I just thought that was bad etiquette on the part of the recruiters.

Interview Question – The group activity was difficult because it was pretty open-ended and we didn't get much feedback from the observer or the employees who judged our presentation.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Riverwoods, IL

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Discover in August 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied for the analyst position towards the end of July 2013 and received my first call from HR a few weeks later to schedule the initial phone screening (an additional week later). The phone screening lasted just over the expected 45 minutes to go over my resume and any quesitons I had about the company and/or position. The screening went smooth, and about a week later, I was contacted again being asked to come in for a 4 part in-person interview totaling 2.5 hours (45 minutes each part) at their Campus in Riverwoods, IL. I came in on the designated date with suit & tie and no issues finding parking. The 1st person to both greet and interview me was a Manager, who was very cordial and accomodating. The second interviewer (Senior Manager) was actually out of the office that day and unable to interview, which I personally didn't see a problem with as getting 4 people's schedule's in sync isn't always easy. The 3rd interview portion (another Manager) had to be done over-the-phone, as that Manager was at an event, but I at least got a chance to speak with her in more detail about the position. The final portion of the interview was done by the Hiring Manager who was both very nice and did a great job in asking the right questions. Some examples were "Where do you see yourself in five years" and "Name one of your areas of improvement". Lastly, she reviewed some of the requirements for the position and how I would rate some of my relevant skills. Although I did not land the position, the interview overall was a teriffic experience and this is one of the few companies I would love to land a long term career with.

Interview Question – "Describe a difficult problem you had to solve at your current position."   View Answer

Marketing Internship Program Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – Attended university career fair, was asked to apply online that evening, invited to an interview at our university a week later when they returned. After that, asked to come for two days to Riverwood, IL

Interview Question – A lillypad doubles in size everyday, on the 24th day it is at half size. How long does it take to get to full size?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None negotiation.

IT Intern Interview

Riverwoods, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Discover in October 2013.

Interview Details – There are two Manager Interviews 30 minutes each. Later, there are two mentor sessions 30 minutes each with two current employees

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, just come prepared technically and socially.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I accepted during a phone call 3 days after the interview.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Discover

Worked for Discover? Contribute to the Community!

Discover Videos

Discover – Why Work for Us?

We've always believed in giving our customers the best service. When we introduced the first cash rewards credit card in 1986, we committed ourselves to meeting the needs of our cardmembers with the best possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Discover interview questions and advice in Illinois. All 44 interview reviews posted anonymously by Discover employees and interview candidates.