Discover Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.7

Quality Control Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverwoods, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discover (Riverwoods, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Had an in person interview the hiring manager and the managers boss. This lasted about 31 minutes will questions that relate to my past experiences and how I can apply them to Discover. The managers brought computers to take notes. The interview was in the morning and had an offer on the table that afternoon. Seems like a lot of opportunity to grow from within.

Interview Questions

• Are you able to commute this distance to work every day, as this department does not let you work from home?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a descent rate. They have free parking and the campus is enormous.

Risk Management Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Discover in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to schedule a phone interview. We discussed the job duties in detail and any questions that I had for the recruiter. I decided that I was not interested in the position as described, although the recruiter gave me the option to accept or reject the offer to fly out for the next round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions or other typical behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discover (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

There was a happy hour event, a couple in-person interviews (on the same day), and then a full day event of interviews at headquarters with group panels and more personal interviews. You needed a little bit of knowledge in finance, but nothing major. They had a couple questions throughout the process about hypothetical situations in the company - but those were usually more related to management as opposed to finance.

Interview Questions

• What's your idea for getting more people to use our banking service?   Answer Question

Interview

I originally applied for New Applicants but position was filled by the time I setup interview so I was interviewed for fraud protection. I had my initial interview with hr department then setup up a second interview. I was told about the schedule and pay. It has been a week since the interview and haven't been called back or emailed.

Interview Questions

Application

interviewed at Discover in September 2014.

Interview

applied online, got a phone interview from HR who asked for some simple questions, like availability, experience with modeling, if need sponsorship in the future, and got a phone interview the following week from the senior manager. waiting for the on-site

Interview Questions

• very typical technique question, such as introduce any two models that you are familiar with, what is simple linear regression, what's its assumption, what is R-square, why use adjusted R square, what is ARIMA, what's the purpose of ARIMA, tell me about logistic regression, what's your weakness, what else you need to learn before you take this job, what sas functions are you familiar with   Answer Question

Fraud Prevention Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discover (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

I originally applied online for the fraud prevention, the start date was well over a month out and I didn't think I would be hired anyway so I thought "what the hell" and applied using a resume and cover letter. A couple days later I got a call from a recruiter at discover (in their HR department) we did a brief phone interview and she invited me in for an in person interview the next day. When I arrived she called me back, I set my bag down in the interview room and then she took me on a tour of the key parts of the call center. It was awesome and I was very impressed! Its a huge call center, has a pretty big gym, a cafeteria, cafe's, and several snazzy breakrooms. We got back to the interview room and she asked me typical interview questions, and then she gave me a bunch of note cards with words written on them. I had to organize the cards in order of what I value most and explain some of my decisions. The interview went well so I was invited back the next day for a 2nd interview- this time with a senior recruiter who made the hiring decisions. She asked the same questions, and went over some call center scenarios (like what would you do in this angry customer situation) and after about 45 mins the interview was over. A half hour Later I got a call from the first recruiter I interviewed with who asked how it went, and she told me she was sending me some emails. I had to send them a copy of a court document from 9 years ago but once I did she called me and offered me the job. Warning for applicants- be aware that when you go in to fill out the new hire paperwork they will fingerprint you and do a URINE drug test on the spot with the nurse on campus.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, sadly. The job pays literally half of what the competitor pays, and I have a few years of call center experience. The reason I accepted the offer was because I didn't have any experience in fraud and the atmosphere was less Elitest than the competitor.

Cardmember Assistance Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discover (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

Very lengthy process. Simple online app and assessment. No communication between recruiters - I got multiple calls and emails from different people about the job and different contradicting instructions from the emails and the assessments. Phone interview - about 30 minutes, mostly confirming things from the application. First interview - took about an hour, with HR. Best part of the experience - got a tour and began to feel very excited about the possibility of working there. Was scheduled for a second interview, which I had to leave my current job early to make. She assured me she would call me to check in and see how it went. Received an email canceling my interview about 45 minutes before it was supposed to begin. Unfortunately, I had already left work once that week for this interview and could not do so again, and they seemed unhappy that I could not reschedule until the following week. Second interview - about an hour, with the department manager. Everything went great. I didn't get a call from the HR recruiter that evening as she'd promised, or the next morning. Instead got a do not reply email from the recruiter later that day saying they'd chosen another candidate. The position continued to be posted on the website for quite some time after that. Very disappointed that I didn't even get a phone call after having spent several hours interviewing for this entry level position, not to mention them having cancelled on me at the last minute with no explanation or apology. Very poor form.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Albany, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Discover (New Albany, OH) in September 2014.

Interview

Apply online, phone interview, on-site interview. Tour and detailed job description, position offered at the end of on-site interview. Once accepted, an Offer Session is scheduled to complete background check and drug screening, badge ect.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating really. Salary is based off experience and hours are determined what's available within your preference.

Fraud Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discover (Phoenix, AZ) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for this position some time in September and was called for a short phone interview/conversation approx. a week later. I was then offered the opportunity to come in for a face to face interview. The location is very secure and very big. I went in through the HR department and was first taken on a tour. This place has all of the bells and whistles. A café, gym, several break rooms. I was then interviewed by HR, and then a team lead for the team I would be working on if offered the opportunity. The interview was at about 10:00am, by about 3:00pm I received a call offering me the position, this all took place on a Friday. I then went back to the Discover location the following Monday for fingerprinting, and a drug test which is taken at their site, with their nurse. At this point your background check is still pending. Mine took a little less than a week to come back. I wasn't crazy about the pay, but from everything I've read, and was told about Discover, they are very big on promoting from within.

Interview Questions

• At one point you are given flashcards and have to arrange them in order of what's most like you and what's least like you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

From my understanding there is only one pay rate for this position when you're starting fresh with the company.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Discover in September 2014.

Interview

They really just wanted to know my interests and see where I would fit in with the company culture and where to place me on a team. It was two phone interviews and then an offer.