Discover

Interview Question – Why not got promoted in previous job   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

Interviewed at Discover

Interview Details – I was brought in for two half hour interviews, one which was more generally about me and the other which was about my credentials. The interviews were very comfortable but the one about my credentials was weird. There were some questions to see how I processed results but i felt they were not a great measure of that.

Interview Question – How many people will be alive in 2020?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
New Castle, DE

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Discover in January 2014.

Interview Details – Get a badge, sign in. Recruiter gets you. Tells about position and pay. Gives folder with business card. Six words placed in front of you rank in order of preference.

Interview Question – My favorite TV Show (??) We spent a good five minutes on that. (Note: No ice was broken, I was still nervous!)   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Discover in September 2013.

Interview Details – The first phone call was fine, I was expecting the small interaction they provided. The first in person interview was amazing. She was enthusiastic, explained the company very well and gave me a tour of the campus. However, the last interview was horrible and made me not want to work there anymore. She looked like she did not want to be there; let alone interviewing me. Her tone was monotone, and she was occupied with her computer 90% of the time. She barely looked me in the face. When it came to my availability, I informed her I would like to further my education with an MBA, and she told me in a very cold voice that Discover really needs people to be focused on the job and have open availability. She also told me that would be a "huge hurdle" and didn't know if she could do anything for me. I get a call later that day stating I had the job. At that point in time I did not want to work for the company anymore.

Interview Question – To put different cards in order explaining your personality.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I informed them I was already getting a pay decrease and I have exceptional experience, so I did not want to start at the minimum. They accepted that and my availability.

Riverwood, KY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – It was a normal interview process like most employers I'd say. People were easy to speak to, concentrated mostly on questions about past experience and about past projects on your resume

Negotiation Details – It was pretty standard, they didnt lowball me, given my education and past experience, but did offer lower end of the range at first. However, they were able to increase the offer to match my counter.

Project Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – A mix of business case and experience based questions

Interview Question – business case   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – compensation not upto expectation

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Marketing Manager
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Discover in February 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Recruiter, HR and with hiring manager, all went very well. Follow up interview in person with hiring manager did not go as well. She kept me waiting for over 45 minutes in the middle of a huge snow storm and once the meeting began she seemed distracted and only asked me a couple of questions, which were out of the ordinary and could have been answered more completely if I had specific project documentation to support.

Interview Question – Describe the planning process from start to finish.   Answer Question

Operations Internship Program (OIP) Interview

Operations Internship Program (OIP)
Riverwoods, IL

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume through my school's career services and then had a phone screen with one of the recruiters. I basically walked her through my resume and then had time at the end to ask questions about Discover, the program, and what sorts of projects interns get to work on. After this there was a super day with a pre-interview dinner one night, and then 3 one-on-one interviews, a group discussion led by one of the recruiters, and a group activity that had us come up with some ideas about how to improve Discover's operations and then present our findings to the current employees. The one-on-ones were mostly behavioral, but one of them had a short case portion that was pretty simple (basic math and reasoning). I actually never even heard back about this position (which was surprising considering they paid to fly people out and put us all in a hotel for the super day), but didn't care to try following up because I found something else. I just thought that was bad etiquette on the part of the recruiters.

Interview Question – The group activity was difficult because it was pretty open-ended and we didn't get much feedback from the observer or the employees who judged our presentation.   Answer Question

Analyst In Risk Department Interview

Analyst In Risk Department

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discover in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st, with HR
2nd round with one of the managers in the risk department:

Interview Question – the behavior question: what do you think is your biggest achievement?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discover.

Interview Details – Applied online via a school website. Was called in for an interview. It was 30 mins with one guy and 30 mins with the other. Nothing too unexpected but asked a lot about what I knew specifically about Discover and their services and how they were different from their competitors.

Interview Question – What are some unexpected uses for a pen?   Answer Question