Discover Interview Questions in West Valley City, UT

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

2.9

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

had a phone interview, then had a one on one interview, then had a hiring interview, and then received an offer of the job, then filled out all the paperwork required.

Interview Questions

• customer service questions.   1 Answer

Collections Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for a position in the personal loans department. I was contacted a few days later by a recruiter and had an impromptu interview lasting about 20 minutes. The position I applied for was filled and he talked to me about 3 other positions he thought I was a good fit for. He explained that collections reps receive incentive and has the best pay. We set up an interview a few days later and I was asked to complete an online assessment. My interview was strange, the recruiter basically took me on a tour to convince me that collections wasn't awful. The reps looked happy and to enjoy their day. He then had me complete an activity where I listed words based on my strength to weaknesses. I was then interviewed by the collections hiring manager. That was a very normal interview.
    Looking back, they were selling me the position. When I asked what my days starting out would look like I don't feel the answer was clear to what I would be actually doing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was told starting pay was $12-$13. I asked for $13 and they said based on experience and education the best they could do was $12.75. I have 4 years banking experience and a Bachelors degree. I also wanted full time but was given flex time which ends up being about 32 hours a week. No negotiation on hours.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT).

Interview

The interview process when I was hired consisted of three interviews or levels. The first one was HR, the second was a team leader, and the third was a department manager. You need to pass each level to get hired and the questions get a bit harder each time. Just keep it professional, on topic (relevant), and having experience or talking about sales really helps.

After working here for a while you will see all kinds of people that have worked here. It seems overkill to really go to the level they make you go through for a job. They really should talk to you for a bit, confirm you are not a criminal and a decent person and give you a shot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation wasn't an option. They just told me what the job was paying and that is it.

Personal Loan Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online. The following day I was contacted by a recruiter. She went over in detail what the job invluded and a few specifics. Acted as if it was a phone interview but never specified that it "was" a phone interview. Call took around 20 mins. I interviewed the following day in person with the same recruiter. This interview was pretty standard and really a walk in the park. Most of the questions involved personality based questions rather than focusing on work experience. I was told at the end that I would be interviewing again but I needed to take a questionnaire that would be emailed to me. Upon completion, I was contacted once more for my final interview with the Department Manager, and Supervisor. They asked me 5 whole questions overall and put alot of stress on job description and my knowledge of what this position entailed. Main focus they had was answering any and all questions I had. I was contacted 2 hours later with an offer by the same recruiter i i terviewed with earlier. Overall process from application to offer took 5 days.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: "How are you able to adapt in a very fluid work environment?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate as I was told the decision is based on experience/education. Being a bigger company, I felt like their hands would be tied if I attempted a negotiation for this type of position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in March 2013.

Interview

Hiring department called and conducted a phone interview with basic interview questions. Stated that I was over qualified for the job I applied for, Student Loans, and that she would contact other departments to find a better match for me and never heard back. I called and left a couple of messages with no response.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised that there was no follow up. Made me feel as if the person that contacted me initially and conducted the phone interview was not on top of her job.   Answer Question

Advanced Verification Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in June 2012.

Interview

It is much easier to get into Discover with an employee referral. I initially applied online and waited months for a response, but once my friend referral application I was called within 3 days.

Discover does a credit and background check. They called all my previous employers that I listed on my resume. They also did a drug test.

My interview gauged my personality just as much as job experience. They had a list of personality traits and asked me to order them from words that most described me to words that least described me. They then asked me questions about my previous work experience and how my skills could contribute to the company.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were very basic. They didn't really ask anything that threw me off guard.   Answer Question

Senior Credit Anlysist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Then I had a 1:1 interview at the location. They were very friendly. The questions were Situation, Action, Outcome questions. They did say they would get back to me with in 48 hours, but I had to e-mail them and ask them about it before I got an e-mail saying I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• They showed me a statement and asked me to point out anything that stuck out. I didn't know what they were looking for.   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you stood up to a manager.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discover (West Valley City, UT) in September 2008.

Interview

Passed computer test, interviewed on site which took about 3 hours, asked lots of specific questions about sales experience, 'tell me about a time when".., offered job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a difficult person and what you did about it.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations - they decide beforehand salaries etc. Starting wage and commissions are very high and reasonable. It is easy to make money if you are good on the phone and at sales.