Discovery Communications

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.7

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Filled out an application online and was then asked to do a video interview. Shortly after completing the interview I was emailed an invitation to a "job fair" type group interview at the company headquarters. I decided that it was worth it to travel (on a student budget) to the hiring fair, only to find out that I was up against 200+ other students with only about 20 hiring managers. There was a lot of waiting in line. I received positive feedback from multiple hiring managers and felt like things went well.. But I guess not because I never heard back from any of them. Giant waste of time. Obviously some students did get internships, but the chances were extremely slim and we weren't given enough information on what to expect.

TO DISCOVERY HR: You should be ashamed of yourselves for treating college students this way. We are in debt, overloaded with courses, terrified about our futures, and companies like Discovery just lead us on and literally make us beg for internships. Seriously, someone couldn't have just hopped on Skype and interviewed the top 10-20 candidates? I'm sure you already had your favorites picked out.. I doubt 1.5 hours at a hiring fair changed anyones minds. Why make us come all the way out there for nothing?

Interview Questions
    • They were all easy. I doubt anyone even watched my video interview.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

online interview. the interview questions were the usual, tell us about yourself, why do you want to work for discovery, what are you most proud of that's not on your resume.

Contract Management Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

1 on 1 interview. Very precise and there were no ridiculous questions. The interviewer expressed an interest in my personal interests and was extremely polite and accommodating. Job detail and expectations were explained in depth up front.

Interview Questions
    There was none. The compensation was adequate.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2014.

I applied online. Then I was asked to fill out a questionnaire. Then I received a link directing me to do a video interview through Hirevue. It was my first time doing it but the questions were pretty standard. Then I received an invitation to a hiring fair that ended up being 300 students all waiting in line from table to table trying to talk to hiring managers. Way too much pressure and not enough time to discuss ideas in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince your parents to watch your favorite discovery show?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Applied online and received an email requesting an interview through HireVue a few days later. The interview requires that you answer 5 pre-programmed questions on your webcam. You are given one minute to think about the question and one minute to respond... then it moves on. It was very disappointing to not interview with an actual person. It is important to establish rapport in an interview, and this interview method was, quite honestly, horrible.

Digital Media and Casting Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

Applied online and a week later got a call to do a video interview on camera. you get one minute to look at the questions before the video starts automatically recording your answer and you get about 2 minute to respond.

ITSpring Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Applied on their website, received a video interview. That's pretty much it. There were 3 questions, and you are given 1 minute to answer. The time limit is frustrating, and the interview ends before you really start. They project 15 minutes but really it's the set up of the interview which takes time.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2014.

I applied for a Discovery internship through my university. The entire process took about 3 weeks. The application was pretty standard- a few questions, a cover letter, and a resume.

I had two interviews in one day- one personality based and one more experience based. The interviewers were really casual and friendly. They were running about an hour behind schedule, so I ended up waiting for a long time. 4 Discovery representatives were present in each of my interviews.

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

I applied online through their website after seeing a posting of an internship opportunity on my university's career services site. I got an email request for an interview after a week or so. The interview was a screening interview through video recording. I'd done something like it before so it wasn't too strange for me. There were 5 questions, with two minutes to answer each one, one for preparation, and the other for recording, all really general questions.

Intern Interview

I apply the position online. About two weeks later, I get the email said I got a video interview, the question is normal questions and they are not difficult. For the video interview, I think you should speak louder and practice before you record your answer.