Discovery Communications Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

You submit the application online, it doesn't matter what you applied for. Then you do a video screening interview, takes 20 min. If they like what they see on the video screening interview they invite you to a career fair type event. The managers are standing areas under departments (digital media, marketing, finance). You then get in massive lines to talk to each manager and when you get to the front you must sell yourself in a 30 second elevator pitch. You bring 10 copies of your resume and pray one of the managers remembers you enough to hire you. You go home questioning yourself and they let you know if one of them hired you after a month.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications in February 2013.

Interview

Emailed me once to do online video. The video was a timed recording of your self that you sent to someone. Never spoke to an actual person. They are bad with follow up with only mass emailing people.

Interview Questions

• Sell a food to a friend that has an ingredient in it they do not like?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview

The interview process was not bad. I applied online through the corporate site, I was then emailed to conduct a Skype interview answering questions that were automated (essentially you will talk to a computer), Lastly, was an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince your parents to watch your favorite tv show that they have never heard of?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was brought in to interview with two people and that process was incredibly smooth and those I met were some of the nicest people ever. The interview was not intimidating or harsh, it was more of a conversation and their genuine interest to learn about me. I then had a phone interview with 3 of their senior sales support members who were as nice and as calming as those I met in person, again, more interested in my goals and who I was. Finally I had a phone interview with someone in HR. It was the smoothest, most comfortable and best interview experience I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• What are you doing now that will prepare you for your duties at Discovery Communications? Do you think it'll be a challenge to change pace from work place to work place?   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in April 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed at an exact time and he called me at that time. The interview was very short and consisted of about 4 questions. The first was what do we do at Discovery Communications?, the next was who was your favorite teacher?, What is your favorite brand and why? and the final was Why Discovery? He was very straight forward and did not react much.

Interview Questions

• What do we do at Discovery Education?   1 Answer
    • What is your Favorite Brand and Why?   1 Answer
    • Who is your favorite teacher and Why?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2012.

Interview

Met with FP&A Manager, and Director.

Revenue Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Bethesda, MD) in November 2009.

Interview

I worked with a recruiter that set up the interview for me. Upon arriving at the building, I met with an internal recruiter that took me through all the application paperwork. They also asked about salary expectations pretty early on in the process. I met with the person that would be my boss, the person that was transitioning off the team, and finally the head of US accounting. I found the people to be very friendly, but direct about asking questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with diverse coworkers with different communication styles? Give an example of how you handle different people's communication styles.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of the last technical issue you encountered and the research you did to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in November 2012.

Interview

There were many steps to the interview process, ending with a career fair like interview. I got hired a few days after so it is definitely possible.

Interview Questions

• All seemed pretty standard but you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in January 2014.

Interview

The process started off online, as many do. After the initial application, I was sent a survey/questionnaire to fill out. This survey had questions ranging from the usual (experience, etc.) to more vague questions such as "what is creativity to you". If that went well, you were invited to a career fair sort of interview. This was the most stressful step of the process. You were invited to spend two hours interviewing at each department with about 100 other people. (remember you are against 5,000 people). Luckily, that went well for me and I received a phone call from HR the next day. It is an extremely stressful process, but it is worth it in the end.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Then I was asked to fill out a questionnaire. Then I received a link directing me to do a video interview through Hirevue. It was my first time doing it but the questions were pretty standard. Then I received an invitation to a hiring fair that ended up being 300 students all waiting in line from table to table trying to talk to hiring managers. Way too much pressure and not enough time to discuss ideas in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• How would you convince your parents to watch your favorite discovery show?   Answer Question