Discovery Communications

Average Difficulty
80 candidate interviews

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2012.

Interview Details – Met with FP&A Manager, and Director.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2012.

Interview Details – There were many steps to the interview process, ending with a career fair like interview. I got hired a few days after so it is definitely possible.

Interview Question – All seemed pretty standard but you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewed at an exact time and he called me at that time. The interview was very short and consisted of about 4 questions. The first was what do we do at Discovery Communications?, the next was who was your favorite teacher?, What is your favorite brand and why? and the final was Why Discovery? He was very straight forward and did not react much.

Interview Questions

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship

I applied online and interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – Applied Online. About a month later got an email from Discovery asking me to go to their site to record a video Interview. The interview is consisted of 5 questions. After a question shows up, it gives you about 15 sec of thinking time. Then you must give 1 minute response for each question.

Interview Question – Tell 3 traits about yourself and elaborate in ONE minute. Poorly designed question + time limit.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I was brought in to interview with two people and that process was incredibly smooth and those I met were some of the nicest people ever. The interview was not intimidating or harsh, it was more of a conversation and their genuine interest to learn about me. I then had a phone interview with 3 of their senior sales support members who were as nice and as calming as those I met in person, again, more interested in my goals and who I was. Finally I had a phone interview with someone in HR. It was the smoothest, most comfortable and best interview experience I have ever had.

Interview Question – What are you doing now that will prepare you for your duties at Discovery Communications? Do you think it'll be a challenge to change pace from work place to work place?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to a position in February 2014 and heard back from a recruiter a week later. Unfortunately I was still in college at that time and therefore was not eligible (as it was for immediate hire). However closer to graduation in April, I reached back out and Discovery scheduled an interview in the NYC office for me. I had two interviews. One with HR (super standard questions - the HR team is the best) and then one with the sales team. The sales interview was in a crowded office with six other people. The Director clearly did not want to be there. I have never been dismissed or ignored in an interview quite like my time at Discovery. They had been doing interviews back to back for a few days straight and I could tell they just didn't care. Worst interview experience ever.

Interview Question – "So you're familiar with the job ... could you describe the position to me? What did the job post say?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Better opportunity elsewhere. Also after my bad experience interviewing, I didn't care to go back.

Revenue Accounting Manager Interview

Revenue Accounting Manager
Bethesda, MD

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2009.

Interview Details – I worked with a recruiter that set up the interview for me. Upon arriving at the building, I met with an internal recruiter that took me through all the application paperwork. They also asked about salary expectations pretty early on in the process. I met with the person that would be my boss, the person that was transitioning off the team, and finally the head of US accounting. I found the people to be very friendly, but direct about asking questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with diverse coworkers with different communication styles? Give an example of how you handle different people's communication styles.   Answer Question
  • Give an example of the last technical issue you encountered and the research you did to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Human Resources Internship Interview

Human Resources Internship
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted about two weeks later with a survey asking if I was still interested in the position. Then, I was sent a video interview with five questions.

Interview Question – Who is your favorite Discovery Channel star and why?   Answer Question

Media Services Coordinator Interview

Media Services Coordinator
Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to the Media Services Coordinator position via Discovery's web site. It took possibly 2-4 weeks after I applied to the position to receive a call back from a recruiter. The recruiter setup the interview by scheduling a date/time with the supervisor of the department in which I applied to. The interview lasted for about a hour, it consisted of a lot of scenario questions, I guess to see how you would respond in the work place, your also asked the standard background questions. Although I didn't get the position I have still actively been looking on their website.

Interview Question – An unexpected interview question for me was the many questions regarding some of the software used.   Answer Question

Development Coordinator Interview

Development Coordinator

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I received invitation to apply to position a year after completing my internship, when a position opened within the same department. Initial interview was done by phone, followed by in person interview with person to be immediate supervisor and the head of the department. Received a phone call with an offer for employment several weeks later.

Interview Question – As a test of creative skill, was asked to complete several writing exercises.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as position was entry level.

Worked for Discovery Communications? Contribute to the Community!