Discovery Communications Interview Questions

2.7

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2010.

I was interviewed at an exact time and he called me at that time. The interview was very short and consisted of about 4 questions. The first was what do we do at Discovery Communications?, the next was who was your favorite teacher?, What is your favorite brand and why? and the final was Why Discovery? He was very straight forward and did not react much.

Revenue Accounting Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

The process took a weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2009.

I worked with a recruiter that set up the interview for me. Upon arriving at the building, I met with an internal recruiter that took me through all the application paperwork. They also asked about salary expectations pretty early on in the process. I met with the person that would be my boss, the person that was transitioning off the team, and finally the head of US accounting. I found the people to be very friendly, but direct about asking questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with diverse coworkers with different communication styles? Give an example of how you handle different people's communication styles.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of the last technical issue you encountered and the research you did to reach a conclusion.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2012.

Met with FP&A Manager, and Director.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications.

I was brought in to interview with two people and that process was incredibly smooth and those I met were some of the nicest people ever. The interview was not intimidating or harsh, it was more of a conversation and their genuine interest to learn about me. I then had a phone interview with 3 of their senior sales support members who were as nice and as calming as those I met in person, again, more interested in my goals and who I was. Finally I had a phone interview with someone in HR. It was the smoothest, most comfortable and best interview experience I have ever had.

Interview Questions
    • What are you doing now that will prepare you for your duties at Discovery Communications? Do you think it'll be a challenge to change pace from work place to work place?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2012.

There were many steps to the interview process, ending with a career fair like interview. I got hired a few days after so it is definitely possible.

Interview Questions
    • All seemed pretty standard but you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2014.

I applied to a position in February 2014 and heard back from a recruiter a week later. Unfortunately I was still in college at that time and therefore was not eligible (as it was for immediate hire). However closer to graduation in April, I reached back out and Discovery scheduled an interview in the NYC office for me. I had two interviews. One with HR (super standard questions - the HR team is the best) and then one with the sales team. The sales interview was in a crowded office with six other people. The Director clearly did not want to be there. I have never been dismissed or ignored in an interview quite like my time at Discovery. They had been doing interviews back to back for a few days straight and I could tell they just didn't care. Worst interview experience ever.

Interview Questions
    • "So you're familiar with the job ... could you describe the position to me? What did the job post say?"   Answer Question

Better opportunity elsewhere. Also after my bad experience interviewing, I didn't care to go back.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Applied Online. About a month later got an email from Discovery asking me to go to their site to record a video Interview. The interview is consisted of 5 questions. After a question shows up, it gives you about 15 sec of thinking time. Then you must give 1 minute response for each question.

Interview Questions
    • Tell 3 traits about yourself and elaborate in ONE minute. Poorly designed question + time limit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2014.

The process started off online, as many do. After the initial application, I was sent a survey/questionnaire to fill out. This survey had questions ranging from the usual (experience, etc.) to more vague questions such as "what is creativity to you". If that went well, you were invited to a career fair sort of interview. This was the most stressful step of the process. You were invited to spend two hours interviewing at each department with about 100 other people. (remember you are against 5,000 people). Luckily, that went well for me and I received a phone call from HR the next day. It is an extremely stressful process, but it is worth it in the end.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2014.

I applied online. Then I was asked to fill out a questionnaire. Then I received a link directing me to do a video interview through Hirevue. It was my first time doing it but the questions were pretty standard. Then I received an invitation to a hiring fair that ended up being 300 students all waiting in line from table to table trying to talk to hiring managers. Way too much pressure and not enough time to discuss ideas in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince your parents to watch your favorite discovery show?   Answer Question

Interview for Headquarters (Silver Spring) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2014.

Hardest interview I have have ever undergone for an internship.

First you apply online, then I think they invite everyone to do the video interview.

The video interview is short and simple. You answer 4 to 5 questions about why you want to do what you applied to and why you want to work at discovery.

If you pass through the video round, you get invited to the career invitational.

The career invitational is held at headquarters. Basically its a session of you and 200 other candidates for various internships. You are let in to this career fair atmosphere where they have tables for perspective departments (marketing, PR, IT, etc). You have to go up to the hiring managers at the tables and basically try to sell your self in an elevator pitch. It does not matter what you applied to online, this is a free for all. Try to talk to every manager, leave them with a great impression of you. Because after my session there was another session of 200 more candidates.

It was quite intimidating because you could see your competition right there, you cold over hear their interviews. But after all that I did get an internship offer, a paid one too! and it felt all the more successful after going through that whole process.