Discovery Communications Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.8

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

First there was a video interview. Then a telephone interview with my supervisor to-be. Last an in person interview. The national internship program coordinator emailed throughout this process to insure scheduling was taking place and the offer came from that national team.

Interview Questions

• where questions such as "tell us about yourself" "who is your favorite discovery star"   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in July 2012.

Interview

Met with immediate supervisor for roughly 30 minutes to review my qualifications in person. He described what the job requirements were and what role I would play in the process.

Interview Questions

• What type of leader would I consider myself to be and how would others describe me as a leader.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Washington, DC).

Interview

Had one phone interview before I decided to drop out of the process. The recruiter asked me basic interview questions but was unable to answer any of my basic questions regarding the HR team. She did not ask me what my current salary or salary expectations were during the interview. When asked to come to the office for an interview I politely mentioned that I would need to know the salary and ensure it was in par with my current salary prior to taking off work to interview. Salary ended up be a lateral move for me and I was interested. I told the recruiter this and she became very agitated and argumentative saying that she had noted my salary in the phone interview and that I was making a mistake. Sorry...but I'm not interested in working for an HR team that treats me like that. No wonder you seem to always have HR openings.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

2 part interview, one with HR one with Sales. Asked questions to see your passion and work ethic.Asked about previous experience, asked about why you think you would be better than other candidates that they've met with.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

Very straight forward. Manager knew what he wanted and had me come in the same day as my initial phone interview. Was told during the interview that this was currently my job to lose.

Interview Questions

• What makes you great for this position?   1 Answer

Discovery Education Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

It started with a few e-mails, saying they would put me in touch with someone in the office. After doing the video interview through HireView where you talk to a camera and upload answers, I was connected with a supervisor in an office and had a phone interview. This interview was added on with another interview so the other members of the team could see how I would work with them. I got an offer a few days later.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Manchester, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (North Manchester, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was incredibly non-personal and uncomfortable. It was an online interview which created all kinds of unrealistic expectations (i.e. you had to record your one-minute response). Questions were relatively easy. They're probably looking for someone who is uber-enthusiastic about their network (which, let's be honest, is a tall task nowadays).

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied for a sales assistant position online through Discovery's corporate site, and a few days later found an invitation to take their first round Skype interview. The email came to my spam box, so I almost missed the opportunity. The Skype interview consisted of automated questions with a time limit, but were all straight forward. After this round, I was invited to their office for in person interviews. The interviews themselves weren't bad at all, they only asked me standard and expected questions. After over a month of interviewing with about 10 different people, and no reimbursement on transportation, they still hadn't given me an offer or declined me, and were still requesting I come back in to meet with more people in the department. At this point I had already received other job offers and declined the opportunity to return for more rounds of interviews.

Ad Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and then those get screened so got an email to do a video interview through HireVue (I think that is what it was called) and it was very different than I have ever experienced and had never head of it before. Basically, a question shows up on the screen, you have 30 seconds to prepare for it and then the timer starts and you have a minute (generally) to answer the question until it disappears. You are being recorded the entire time. HireVue does a great job at giving you tips on how to go about doing the interview and even gives you the option to do practice questions. After I finished that I just waited to see what happens. I received a call a few weeks later for a phone interview and then I got the internship within five minutes of that phone call. (My case was a bit different in the timing than others)

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite show?   1 Answer

Ad Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Discovery Communications (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

After sending in a resume and cover letter I was asked to fill out a unique application on their website that asked questions about the company and about my opinion of certain marketing efforts. Following that I had a phone interview that lasted about 20 minutes. I was asked very typical questions but specific to the industry and he tried to determine my interest in the position/industry. He was very insightful and answered many of my questions. A week later I did a video recording interview where I had to respond to set questions in a 3 minute time limit.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation