Discovery Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2015

2.8

Interview for Headquarters (Silver Spring) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silver Spring, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Silver Spring, MD) in November 2014.

Interview

Hardest interview I have have ever undergone for an internship.

First you apply online, then I think they invite everyone to do the video interview.

The video interview is short and simple. You answer 4 to 5 questions about why you want to do what you applied to and why you want to work at discovery.

If you pass through the video round, you get invited to the career invitational.

The career invitational is held at headquarters. Basically its a session of you and 200 other candidates for various internships. You are let in to this career fair atmosphere where they have tables for perspective departments (marketing, PR, IT, etc). You have to go up to the hiring managers at the tables and basically try to sell your self in an elevator pitch. It does not matter what you applied to online, this is a free for all. Try to talk to every manager, leave them with a great impression of you. Because after my session there was another session of 200 more candidates.

It was quite intimidating because you could see your competition right there, you cold over hear their interviews. But after all that I did get an internship offer, a paid one too! and it felt all the more successful after going through that whole process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at discovery   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2014.

Interview

It is a online recorded interview. Also my first time to have this type of interview. Received rejection around a month later. Questions include what is your favorite channel... Well it would be hard if you do not have much experience or general experience of watching their channels.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Discovery Communications (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by HR to do an at home video interview with 5 questions. Followed up via email and was asked to come in the following week, but it turns out they didn't even look at my video interview. Overall I really disliked their interview process and completely felt like just a number. They asked me to come back for another round of interviews which I declined because I didn't feel that their culture fit what I was looking for but was disappointed since their brand has a great reputation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview

I applied online through their website after seeing a posting of an internship opportunity on my university's career services site. I got an email request for an interview after a week or so. The interview was a screening interview through video recording. I'd done something like it before so it wasn't too strange for me. There were 5 questions, with two minutes to answer each one, one for preparation, and the other for recording, all really general questions.

Intern Interview

Interview

I apply the position online. About two weeks later, I get the email said I got a video interview, the question is normal questions and they are not difficult. For the video interview, I think you should speak louder and practice before you record your answer.

Intern Interview

Interview

After submitting an online application and waiting a few weeks, they sent me a survey on Survey Monkey asking me questions such as whether I was still interested, my GPA, my areas of interests. Very simple stuff. After another week or two I received an email telling me to conduct a virtual interview via Interview Stream. The virtual interview was very short and asked only 5 questions - why you're interested, greatest strength, etc. This was as far as I got in the interview process.

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Discovery Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online through their careers page and was contacted a few weeks later for a video interview. Basically it was a program that showed questions on a screen and then recorded you giving your answers. I then was told I moved onto the next round and had a phone interview with my manager, who mainly asked about what my ideas for the companies were and if I actually had interest/experience with social media

Salesforce.com Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Discovery Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Contacted first by a head hunter, followed by a phone interview with the boss. Got a call next day to set up an in person with the team. The interview was in two parts. Part 1 was a conversation with a few of the team members, part 2 was a "How would you do x". That evening I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you add something to the home page?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

The process was easy. All you need to do is do an online video. The questions were easy and I thought they would be a lot harder. You really dont need to prepatre for it at all.

Spring Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview

Tons of candidates got the career-fair interview oppportunity. But only about 5% got into the 1 on 1 interview. The whole process took about 3 months. The managers are open and willing to answer questions and overall it's was a good experience.