Discovery Communications

80 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – Online video

Interview Question – What's your favorite "star/character" in Discovery? Why you want to be an intern here? 3 word your friends or others would use to describe you. academic or professional accomplishment.   Answer Question

Temporary Assistant - Production Department Interview

Temporary Assistant - Production Department

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – I applied on the Discovery Communications website under the temp position category. Received a call from a staffing group about two weeks later to set up a phone screening. Basic phone screening; asked questions about your resume, salary expectations, email references, etc. I was told the screening would be passed on to my would be boss and he would let her know which candidates he wanted to interview in person. Another two weeks later I received an email to meet with my would be employer at the NYC office. Everyone was very pleasant. They were mostly interested in if you were a good fit for the department and your career goals. Once again, pretty basic questions. Asked about my background, why I studied what I did in college, what shows I like, my greatest strengths and weaknesses. I thought it went very well. Once I didn't here back by the date they said they would notify the candidate by I assumed I didn't get it. I guess somebody else just had a better interview.

Interview Question – There was nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in March 2011.

Interview Details – Describe a stack, queue, performance of searches. etc.

Interview Question – What is something you wish you could be if you weren't working here.   View Answer

Security Control Tech Interview

Security Control Tech

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in December 2010.

Interview Details – I filled online long application and based on the application I made a phone call... I managed to make appointment to have one to one interview.

Interview Question – What is your plan in the coming five years.   Answer Question

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position Interview

Temporary/Contract Assistant Position
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – Applied for a temporary/contract position but the recruiter/hiring manager apparently liked my resume enough to pass it along for a different position. Was called and asked to come in to interview very quickly.

I waited in the lobby for an hour due to miscommunication between the two individuals who were coordinating my interview. The interview itself was fine and the interviewer was very pleasant. However, when I got there I was told the position could last twice as long as it had been advertised on the posting. I gave them a heads up about a circumstance that would make me unavailable for that length of time, and the interviewer indicated that wasn't an issue and continued on with the conversation.

After that, I never heard from them again. I have honestly never been to an interview where there wasn't at least follow up to say "Thanks for coming in, but we went with another candidate." I know I am a strong interviewee because on two separate occasions I have even had employers find alternate positions for me based on the strength of my resume and interview, but - again - at the very least, I have always received a heads up that they went with another candidate. I sent a follow-up email shortly after but never heard one word from either of the points of contact, which was very disappointing, particularly given their apparent initial enthusiasm and hurry to bring me in to interview.

What's most disappointing to me, however, is that I believe there is a strong possibility that my disclosure of the circumstance that would not have allowed me to work longer than the advertised time frame was what immediately got me kicked out of the running. I was under no obligation to make that disclosure, yet I did because I have heard good things about the company's character and was sure they would be reasonable. It was a circumstance that would have not affected the company (particularly as no paid time off or other benefits were even on the table), but I wanted to make sure we were on the same page regarding the time frame I was available (and to avoid "putting them out", giving them the opportunity to explain that the extended time frame was non-negotiable if that really was the case). Again, no indication was given whatsoever that this would have been an issue, and due to the nature of the employment, there is no reason they would be legally liable for discrimination had they been up-front and honest with me about declining my candidacy based on the disclosure. If anything, I feel that I made a mistake in being candid with them and given a similar opportunity, I'm not sure I would make that mistake again, which is a shame, because I hate to enter employment with less than complete honesty. However, it's unfortunately looking like that might be a necessary approach based on the fact that this is the first company I've ever interviewed with that has completely dropped all contact immediately after.

Interview Question – Standard questions, it was an entry-level position so there was nothing so esoteric that it couldn't be addressed through common interview preparation and a foundational knowledge of the industry.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Discovery Communications in November 2012.

Interview Details – There were many steps to the interview process, ending with a career fair like interview. I got hired a few days after so it is definitely possible.

Interview Question – All seemed pretty standard but you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Discovery Communications in January 2012.

Interview Details – This was pretty straight forward. I was referred internally. So I started with an informal phone interview, followed by an interview with my future supervisor and manager. The questions were pretty easy, just behavioral, and they also asked me a little bit about my technology experience. I heard back from them the following day, and got an official offer from HR the following week.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you [fill in the blank]... I hate this type of question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Digital Mdeia Intern Interview

Digital Mdeia Intern
Silver Spring, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Discovery Communications in March 2011.

Interview Details – Spoke with an HR person and then the hiring manager, was a really easy interview. They had pretty much decided to hire me already before even starting the interview.

Interview Question – I see you used to be a bartender, what was your specialty?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation - all interns get the same, though there is some flexibility with time

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Discovery Communications

Interview Details – After the application deadline they sent out a survey to take by email. After that they emailed those who had been "selected" to an internship invitational. You talk to people from all sorts of departments. I talked to 8 and got an offer a few days after the career fair style invitational.

Interview Question – Not a real interview. Just talking and expressing interest.   Answer Question

Digital Analytics Interview

Digital Analytics
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Discovery Communications.

Interview Details – You'll speak with an HR person in a brief 15-20 minute phone interview, after which you can expect a three-round interview on-site with HR, the hiring manager and VP of Digital. They're all extremely nice, welcoming people who are very passionate about the company overall and the necessity of digital analytics in justifying budget expenditures and strategic decisions.

Just be aware that the HR process can take 1-2 months.

Interview Question – You'll be sent a brief assessment and asked to answer questions about potential data anomalies, ad hoc reports and KPIs relevant to Discovery's digital content.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Discovery Communications